Greek Royal Palaces and Residences

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
that must be so, that is its main value, hope the greek ex royal family buy it

I wonder if that could happen?
It would be nice,but not sure how well it would go down in Greece?

:previous:
Not too well but I doubt there would be major protests.
On the other hand, can the former Greek Royal Family actually afford to buy, restore and maintain the palace?

:previous:
Not too well but I doubt there would be major protests.
On the other hand, can the former Greek Royal Family actually afford to buy, restore and maintain the palace?

I believe King Constantine by himself can not although if he wanted to buy it he has many "friends" who would be able to help him. But surely Pavlos and Marie Chantal can afford to purchase repair and upkeep tatoi.

Greece is quite desperate now and Greek real estate prices have plummetted.

Nevertheless the greek shipowners(one of the infamous groups of taxevaders in Greece) and or the ex greek royals must be willing to pay a very generous amount for the property otherwise it will not look good.

the king constantine has not "Right of first refusal"about Tatoi, he will not buy it . He think should be used for reason that was expropriated ,the general interest.

I know that he could not buy it by law, because I had read it . It is of greek State and in future(About may) it will be private property.

The Friends of Tatoi Association bought different objects that had belonged to the Royal Family of Greece and were sold by HRH Prince Amedeo of Savoy (Head of the Italian Royal Family):

L’Association des Amis de Tatoi rachète des objets de la famille royale grecque lors de la vente aux enchères du duc d’Aoste | Noblesse & Royautés

Wonderfull!!And thanks to Vassilios & Nikos & their formidable love,dedication and respect for the Royal Family,the Tatoi estate & the history of Greece and the wonderfull people who've become a Member of the Friends of Tatoi Association.

Last edited:
The object bought by the Association had belonged to Princess Irine of Greece,Duchess of Spoleto than Queen of Croatia and Duchess of Aosta.

It is Necessary to make clear that this Organization or association has been created outside the Greek Royal House which does not have any link. This association aims to exploit the palace Tatoi for own initiative. The House Real Greek is foreing, this association, no is one association of monarchical, and does not advocate the Greek monarchy . The royal family is out of their goals . The Palace of Tatoi is owned by the Greek state, the state changed its legislative status to be able to sell or make a temporary sale ...I am follower the Greek royal family and others, but especially of the Greek royal house and Queen of Spain and her family(She is my princess of Greece), I love them very much.I do not belong to any association. With motive of the centenary of the death of king George A went to the cemetery of Tatoi, it is national heritage, and I was very sad to see how it was that, I would like to the creation of an association to demand respect for this cemetery of Tatoi, and ask people to respect this wing installation, there are buried the heads of the Greek State, I take the opportunity to express my opinion.

Last edited:
It is Necessary to make clear that this Organization or association has been created outside the Greek royal which does not have any link. This association aims to exploit the palace Tatoi for own initiative. The House Real Greek is foreing, this association, no is one association of monarchical, and does not advocate the Greek monarchy (Ex King).. The royal family is out of their goals . The Palace of Tatoi is owned by the Greek state, the state changed its legislative status to be able to sell or make a temporary sale ...I do not belong to any association and think they would allow me to be inside. With motive of the centenary of the death of king george I went to the cemetery of Tatoi, it is national heritage, and I was very sad to see how it was that, I would like to the creation of an association to demand respect for this cemetery Tatoi, and ask people to respect this wing installation, there are buried the heads of the Greek State, take the opportunity to express my opinion.

But the Association of friends of Tatoi also aims at the restoration of the Royal tombs at the cemetery.That is a wellknown fact,as they also aim at the restoration of the entire estate,the cemetery is part of that,very much so!And everyone here is well aware there is no direct link by the AFT with either the Royal Family nor the Greek State.We here do know what is what and what not,and who counts,or better...who's opinion counts more as it simply Always follows the thruth.So,reality bite:The Royal House of Greece is as Greek as my friends in Athens!Period.Kalinichta.

Last edited:
For me, my King is Greek, not foreign, is Greek and I like to say King. And second I only know and have seen publicly in the facebook group, the greek royal family, a friend say this as I have said, he had also been at the memorial and also was at the funeral of Queen Frederika. The Tatoi property is a well capable of being sold or exploited, Tatoi Cemetery is national heritage so it was said by the Minister, it is directly competition of the ministry who has to restoration it, but the respect for the dead, is competition the persons

For me, my King is Greek, not foreign, is Greek and I like to say King. And second I only know and have seen publicly in the facebook group, the greek royal family, a friend say this as I have said, he had also been at the memorial and also was at the funeral of Queen Frederika. The Tatoi property is a well capable of being sold or exploited, Tatoi Cemetery is national heritage so it was said by the Minister, it is directly competition of the ministry who has to restoration it, but the respect for the dead, is competition the persons

Your King is Greek!One.

Two.

There is no talk of competition between a non functioning government with promises and avrio avrio time upon time to restore and exploit the Tatoi estate with dignity.Contrary,as of late the Association does have good contacts with the respective governmental departments & minister but that is more,or rather solely,due to the Association and their deeproted respect for Greek heritage,Greek Royal Heritage in particular as it is about the Tatoi estate.

Three.

I can say to the best of my ability that the persons behind the association are far from personal media attention of any kind,nor do they wish for or are after personal gain in any form!!That allegation by you is as false as your information.I am happy and proud to call the initiators of the Association and some volunteers as my personal friends.More info and news on the Royal House of Greece is found all over the web,ones single incapacity to search and the ignorance by others are no measure at any rate in this age of multimedia and communication.Efgaristo poli.

Last edited:
I repeat to you the Greek royal family is strange, to this association, this is obvious. That this association wants to protect Greek heritage is Palace of Tatoi , seems to me well. But if a newspaper said the prince nicholas want to engage in politics, will be the Greek royal family, its website, the reference, and not association of friends who talk about this issue, . If the Palace of Tatoi would be sold according to a newspaper, it will be the Greek royal family who would say if they have intend or not to buy, and not a member of the association.I see that you understood the theory. ok and now practice.

Last edited:
I repeat to you the Greek royal family is strange, to this association, this is obvious. That this association wants to protect Greek heritage is Palace of Tatoi , seems to me well. But if a newspaper said the prince nicholas want to engage in politics, will be the Greek royal family, its website, the reference, and not association of friends who talk about this issue, . If the Palace of Tatoi would be sold according to a newspaper, it will be the Greek royal family who would say if they have intend or not to buy, and not a member of the association.I see that you understood the theory. ok and now practice.

The Greek Royal Family is as Greek as Barack Obama is a yank instead of an African..as that is what you point at...their origin...Over the generations they most certainly have a right to be respected as Greeks,more so then some fellow country men who loose respect by their tiresome and uncanny rambling posts.

The King has no interest in Tatoi.There have been agreements on the issue and it was settled long ago_One.They might take an interest out of emotional value yes,but have no plan to aquire it ever in the near nor distant future.Nor do they have a say on it.It just stands there as derelict as can be and no-one moved a hand...promises..oh yes..in abundance,but all too lazy to actually start something...Untill the Association was founded and finally does get things moving towards the right direction,i.e. awareness and reconstruction of the entire estate for the benefit of the Greek people.

Two.

Prince Nicolaos doesn't wish to be involved in Greek politics,that is nonsense!Whomever would wish for that is a fool.Whatever paper writes that writes nonsense to a fault.

Three.

Your words are as chaotic as ones head I always say and rumble back and forth without having one single fact right even though we live in an age of knowledge on all issues,more then ever before

Four.

Me living here doesn't mean by no means that I am not informed right.I am.And very much so.And I Always take and make a point in telling as it is,not as some would like it to be for their own purposes or convictions least of all silly accusations.

Last edited:
when I read comments of persons of this association, I see that they have no appreciation for the King or "ex", I can understand this position, the association has no relation with the Greek royal family, for this reason I am surprised that some of its members speak to the international press about the Greek royal family when they are not representatives of the Greek royal family and the topic about they are talking bears no relation with the palace of Tatoi.

I have come across some information regarding the Palace of Tatoi and wounderd if anyone out there new if this was correct or had changed since the following webpage was published in 2001.

A Victorian's Letters from INDIA and PRUSSIAN & GREEK Royalty 1883 - 1894

According to the above webpage, Tatoi is not only closed to the public, but hard to find, railed off and guarded by police and a gaurd dog. I was woundering if this is still the case as I was under the impression from the recent Court Case over it between Constantine and the Greek Government, that Tatoi was being held for the benefit of the Greek people and was therefore open to the public. It seems rather bizzar that the Government paid Constantine all that money as oposed to giving it back to him, only to let it rot.
It seems like the reason that Tatoi was rotting would be that it did not belong to the state until then. Buying it off from King Constantine led the way for it to be restored and opened to the public as a museum. Nevertheless the dilapidation it has undergone until then had been rather unacceptable and unusual for a historical monument and site. Read more on ekathimerini.com | The case for reviving Tatoi

My opinion.
it is very difficult to restore Tatoi , because the state wants to sell concessions of exploitation for 30 years? , The person or company that would acquire the concession must invest millions in restore , it is not profitable , the question is obvious , When it would produce benefits?? , the restore costs are very high .

Other problem, in Greece young people do not value the modern story, and this is the fault of the politicians who have created an educational system where only study one part of the story, the youth are not interested in history. Most people do not know that those who are buried in Tatoi were heads of state , they do not know that great part of territory that is today Greece was made by the ​​ monarchy . and this complicates its restoration because the people believe that invest public money in Tatoi is meaningless, a waste of money

Its very sad to see the palace in this sorry state,it looks like its being left to rack & ruin :sad:

To see the photos and the short clip breaks my heart. The grounds with all the trees are just magical. I hope that one day someone can return this gem to it's former glory and make it a home.

I just have a question, I had already seen pictures of the inside of abandoned Palace, but I have a big doubt. The authorities have never allowed to record inside, and I wonder why now they have been authorized to record it, Why? I think this has been recorded with administrative authorizations. Last year ,the palace(it is of State) was changed its regulatory system, now it could be sold, it was spoken that was up for sale, so I wonder why authorities have allowed to record inside? Will it be sale?

I just have a question, I had already seen pictures of the inside of abandoned Palace, but I have a big doubt. The authorities have never allowed to record inside, and I wonder why now they have been authorized to record it, Why? I think this has been recorded with administrative authorizations. Last year ,the palace(it is of State) was changed its regulatory system, now it could be sold, it was spoken that was up for sale, so I wonder why authorities have allowed to record inside? Will it be sale?

I imagine the main reason is that the palace is now empty, wich was not the case previously.

Why didn't television want to talk about 50th anniversary of King Paul ? Why did not they wanted remember to one man who was Head of State and did much for Greece? Why did not members of the ministry of Culture went to the memorial in Tatoi? The TV does not speak the King's 50th anniversary, why???? Why??he was story, and person.

Did King Constantine II sell his London residence and is he living in Greece?

Yes, they sold their home in London for £9.8m in August last year, according to Land Registry records. They live in Greece now, as do Nikolaos and Tatiana by all accounts.

Thanks,do we know anything of their current residence?

Constantine just gave an interview to ABC magazine where it mentions they are renting a house in Porto Heli and that they also have a suite at a hotel in Athens where they stay. A couple of years ago it was said they had bought land in the Porto Heli area and were building a home, but it appears as thought that plan never came to fruition from what I can see, as nothing else has ever been said about it.

Constantine just gave an interview to ABC magazine where it mentions they are renting a house in Porto Heli and that they also have a suite at a hotel in Athens where they stay. A couple of years ago it was said they had bought land in the Porto Heli area and were building a home, but it appears as thought that plan never came to fruition from what I can see, as nothing else has ever been said about it.

I guess the suite is in the Hotel Grande Bretagne, on Syntagma Square.

Back
Top Bottom