Greek Royal Palaces and Residences

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AKIOU said:
If anyone is interested in relatively recent photos of Tatois palace state, I found this article dated 15/11/05. It seems to be rather run down.

http://www.forthnet.gr/templates/newsPosting.aspx?p=141969

AKIOU

thanks, it looks like a rather desolate place. I hope the King will be able to buy it back one day, especially as his anscestors are burried there.

He recently said in Point de Vue that he is working out an arrangement, so who knows.

Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg said:
Hi, does anyone have some information about the Royal residence or town of Psychiko. I read in the biography of Queen Sophie of Spain (born Princess of Greece) that she was born in Psychiko, but I couldn't find anything about this place. So if you can help me to find some information, thanks.....

Regards....
The residence in Psychiko is abandoned and in decay next to a friend's home that I know there.That is a travesty.

Palaces; Feng Shui and Vastu Shastra

Those beautiful residences in Greece belonging to the Royal family.
I wonder about the Feng Shui and Vastu Shastra of them.
From what I have seen of Tatoi I think it had
difficult architecural energy to commandeer. I wonder about all the residences ofthe royals in Greece
and how Feng Shui is applicable along with Vastu Shastra. That includes
Mon Repos where HRH Prince Philip was born.

Splodger said:
I have come across some information regarding the Palace of Tatoi and wounderd if anyone out there new if this was correct or had changed since the following webpage was published in 2001.

http://www.fbarnard.org.uk/greek01/greece01.htm

According to the above webpage, Tatoi is not only closed to the public, but hard to find, railed off and guarded by police and a gaurd dog. I was woundering if this is still the case as I was under the impression from the recent Court Case over it between Constantine and the Greek Government, that Tatoi was being held for the benefit of the Greek people and was therefore open to the public. It seems rather bizzar that the Government paid Constantine all that money as oposed to giving it back to him, only to let it rot.
That is the subconscious collectivist mind speaking PERHAPS as they allow it to rot.
in Greece they all want to be kings now. I mean they had the audacity to ask the KING who has a "calling" what is his profession. People with a " calling" do not have a sideline they are called. Ifbeingking was a profession and is subject to their revisionsim that is one heck of a severance pay the king should have received.

According to a greek tv station Konstantinos new house is almost ready.It is located at the old Athens,under Acropolis,named Plaka.It is an old house,restored which costed 2 million euros.The family is searching for another house to an even more posh quartier called Ekali since the house in Plaka is meant for Nikolaos.

?

Hello, i just read this thread and i have a few questions. Firstly, who is Ada in the article? Secondly, where is the Palace in Athens which is larger than the one in Tatoi? i'm stuck and although i have sth in mind i'd like someone to take me out of my confusion. thanks in advance.

And I have questons also, since I'm not familiar with the GRF.
First of all, why was the family sent into exile, besides the fact that they got rid of the monarchy. Did the King do something wrong or illegal? Were their lives in danger?
And if the Rf paid for Tatoi out fo their own personal funds, why would the King have to "buy" it back from the goverment when it is rightfully his/thiers.
When they fled into exile, I know they only took the jewels and left everything else behind and that later the goverment allowed the King to go back and get "certain" things that belonged to his family. Does that mean since the moment they fled, everything else has remained in the house or did the goverment empty out the house and put everything in a secure holding?
I apologize for my ignorance in advance, but I've never really had an interest in the Greek RF until now and their is only basic stuff on the King and Queens relationship on these threads.
thanks in advance to anyone who can answer my questions.:flowers:

sesa said:
And I have questons also, since I'm not familiar with the GRF.
Here is a lengthy Wikipedia article on King Constantine, including why he was exiled by the Colonels in 1967.

It seems Tatoi has been left more or less as it was since then, and has had no maintenance for 40 years. It makes no sense for the government to now claim that items have been "stolen". They have had control of the property for four decades and could easily have moved the valuables to a secure location at any time. Or hired a caretaker.

Warren said:
It seems Tatoi has been left more or less as it was since then, and has had no maintenance for 40 years. .
Absolutely, the whole domain is in avery bad situation. They are about 40 building, most of them are completely falling down. Since 1968 to 1999 they were completely left on their own, but the final catastrophy came in 1999, an earthquacke destroyed the roofs of some of the buildings.
The situation is dramatical, it is a real pitty.

Warren said:
It makes no sense for the government to now claim that items have been "stolen".
This made laughing every sensible person....

Warren said:
They have had control of the property for four decades and could easily have moved the valuables to a secure location at any time. Or hired a caretaker.

They are 3 policemen + an electronical security system guarding 40 buildings.....

sesa said:
Does that mean since the moment they fled, everything else has remained in the house or did the goverment empty out the house and put everything in a secure holding?
.:flowers:
No all staff is supposed to have been left there, BUT

During the 7 years of militar dictature, everyone of the people in power, could go in Tatoi and "take" things. A good friend of my mother and wife of a "high doctor", told me that she saw in a reception, at these years, the daughter of one of the Dictature's Colonels, wearing a kind of "parure" which she recognised having belonged to the Queen Frederica. A kind of jewel, of not a very big value, which they did not have the time to take with them, when leaving Greece.

Since 1974, The State NEVER guarded properly this place, it is an enormous place, very difficult to controle, unless you use a huge number of persons and means.
They "noticed" two robberies during these years, and I suppose many many unnoticed....

I friend of mine used to hors ride in this place, she told me that she had approached very closely the royal building, many many times, without being noticed by anyone...
From this point, is someone would like to go in.... and take staff, it should not be very difficult. Anyone could easily steal 12 spoons, or a nice clothe, it is easy to carry, and nobody remembers that this staff has existed. And not talking about the clothes, the gowns the military uniforms, the guns, the light cutlery......

It is sad. I feel sad as a Greek, because it is my country's history, which are being destroyed.

Last edited:
According to a greek newspaper three buildings at Tatoi are being restored in order to be ready to safely store and preserve the items of the palace.Those buildings are the main stable,the house of the adjutant and the kitchen.These restorations were a result of the wrong handling of the minister of culture for stopping the auction and the publicity of the matter of the ruining items of historical value in Tatoi palace.

Hello, i just read this thread and i have a few questions. Firstly, who is Ada in the article? Secondly, where is the Palace in Athens which is larger than the one in Tatoi? i'm stuck and although i have sth in mind i'd like someone to take me out of my confusion. thanks in advance.

The old palace (Palaia Anaktora), erected for King Otto and his consort Amalia that was also occupied later by King George I and Queen Olga, is the building that now houses the parliament and known as The Parliament (although the term Palaia Anaktora is still used by older people). Because that building was huge, inconvenient and difficult to modernize (back then), another palace was built for them on the eastern side of the National Gardens, on Herodus Atticus Street, which now is known as the Presidential Palace (Proedrikon Megaron) and houses the Presidency. This building is small by European standards (but is bigger than the Amalienborg and Norwegian downtown palace).
Of note, the current President of the Republic does not reside in the building but in a privately owned modest 1000 sq ft apartment on Asklipiou Street. The president has his office at the palace which also serves for formal functions such as accreditation ceremonies of foreign diplomats, receptions for foreign dignitaries, galas etc.

Last edited:
Photos From The Royal Palace Of Tatoi.

Here Are Some Photos I Took From The Royal Palace Of Tatoi 4 Monts Ago. I Will Also Post Photos Of The Royal Cemetary.

Attachments

• TATOI 1.JPG
    TATOI 1.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 3,766
  • TATOI 2.JPG
    TATOI 2.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 2,121
  • TATOI 2A.JPG
    TATOI 2A.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 3,973
  • TATOI 3.JPG
    TATOI 3.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 4,807
  • TATOI 3A.JPG
    TATOI 3A.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 1,764
  • TATOI 4.JPG
    TATOI 4.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 10,480
  • TATOI 4A.JPG
    TATOI 4A.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 6,882
  • TATOI 5.JPG
    TATOI 5.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 2,314
Tatoi Royal Cemetary

Photos of the Royal Cemetary of Tatoi.

Tatoi Royal Cemetary

Photos of the Royal Grave's:

• KING GEORGE I
  • QUEEN OLGA
  • PRINCESS MARIA
  • PRINCESS ALEXANDRA
  • MAUSOLEUM OF KING CONSTANTINE I, QUEEN SOPHIA & KING ALEXANDROS I
  • KING GEORGE II
  • KING PAUL I & QUEEN FREDERICA
  • PRINCE ANDREW

Attachments

• george I.JPG
    george I.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 488
  • olga.JPG
    olga.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 525
  • george I- olga-maria -alexandra.JPG
    george I- olga-maria -alexandra.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 597
  • mausoleum of constantine I.JPG
    mausoleum of constantine I.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 509
  • constantine I -  sophia -  alexandros.JPG
    constantine I - sophia - alexandros.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 484
  • george II.JPG
    george II.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 564
  • paul & frederica.JPG
    paul & frederica.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 551
  • prince andrew.JPG
    prince andrew.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 516
Psychiko Residence

Does anyone have any photos of the Psychiko residence of Queen Fredericka?

King Constantine's and Anne Marie's palace in Salonica Greece

Hello Everyone,

I am new to TRF, which I happen to come accross the internet quite accidentally and which I find quite informative. I need to find out some information for some research I am doing for a book, about the King's palace outside the City of Thessaloniki Greece. Is it still standing, is it a museum, how big is it, has it been taken care off since the King left the country in 1967?

Is the place, which I remember as Aretsou, still the same name?

Any information you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Max55

Hello Vally,

Thank you for your response, but that's not what I was looking for. When I lived in Salonica, there was a palace outside of the city, that the royal family would use. I was wondering if it's still exists, and what condition is in. It seems that I can't find anything on the internet, unless I call my mother in Salonica, which I doubt if she knows the condition of it, or take a trip back which I will do in the fall. But it's quite some time and I want to get going with my research.

Thanks again for your quick response.

Max55

Hi, does anyone have some information about the Royal residence or town of Psychiko. I read in the biography of Queen Sophie of Spain (born Princess of Greece) that she was born in Psychiko, but I couldn't find anything about this place. So if you can help me to find some information, thanks.....

Regards....

The house in Psychiko is just a villa not a palace. A Greek Cypriot millionaire purchased it years ago. Even if one tried to get there he'd get lost. The Greek Royal family did not have Palaces so to speak. The Tatoi home is laying in ruins and the PASOK government has sold the surrounding land. The Athens Palace which is behind the Houses of Parliament and the original Royal Palace is used by the President of the Government. Ironically, during the 2004 Athens Olympics Queen Anne Marie and King COnstantine attended a garden party in their old home as IOC VIP guests..........

Photos of the Royal Grave's:

• KING GEORGE I
  • QUEEN OLGA
  • PRINCESS MARIA
  • PRINCESS ALEXANDRA
  • MAUSOLEUM OF KING CONSTANTINE I, QUEEN SOPHIA & KING ALEXANDROS I
  • KING GEORGE II
  • KING PAUL I & QUEEN FREDERICA
  • PRINCE ANDREW
This is Royal simplicity at its best. Those buried in these simple tombs have been true blue bloods. It brings tears to my eyes. Most of them left their families their countries and religions to become Greeks and die there. Most have worked to give Greece something special. God rest their souls.
Does anyone know where Prince Nicolaos father of the Duchess of Kent is buried?

Hello Everyone,

I am new to TRF, which I happen to come accross the internet quite accidentally and which I find quite informative. I need to find out some information for some research I am doing for a book, about the King's palace outside the City of Thessaloniki Greece. Is it still standing, is it a museum, how big is it, has it been taken care off since the King left the country in 1967?

Is the place, which I remember as Aretsou, still the same name?

Any information you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Max55
Perhaps Phillipe Egalite or Vasilofron can respond more accurately but I was not aware they had a palace in Thessaloniki. There is the Mon Repos Palace in Corfu, but this is the only residence I know they had besides the Athens residences mentioned elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
King George I had a stately villa in Thessalonika called Villa Allatini. The villa was later sold or donated to the state and is now part of a college or university of some sort.

http://www.iaf2006.com/files/images/govhouse.jpg

This is "palataki" which was built as the official residence of the King and the Queen of Greece who stayed there during their visits to Thessaloniki

It's beautiful. What is it used for now? Is it open to the public, or is has someone been using it as their private residence? I would love to see what it looks like inside.

It's beautiful. What is it used for now? Is it open to the public, or is has someone been using it as their private residence? I would love to see what it looks like inside.

The Government House was built as the official residence of the King and the Queen of Greece who stayed there during their visits to Thessaloniki. In the past a number of important personalities, including Greek Presidents have been guests at the “Small Palace”. Today the estate belongs to the Ministry of Macedonia-Thrace.

Today's Kathimerini newspaper in Athens has 2 articles about Tatoi.
It reports that the Greek government has set aside 800,000 euros for the renovation of the former royal estate. They will accept bids from interested experts for renovations. There are boxes of relics, paintings, manuscripts carpets and clothes of the royals still within the palace.
The 3,000 hectare estate has been deteriorating since 1967 when the Greek royal family left Greece.
In another article the paper mentioned that among the personal property still inside the palace of Tatoi, there are paintings signed "Freddy" These paintings were the works of Queen Frederica of Greece.
They expect to have offers by May to renovate and perhaps in addition to a museum to open a restaurant in a building of secondary importance.
It is heartwarming to read that after all these years finally something may be done to save such an important part of modern Greek history.

And what will Greek government do about the personal properties inside the palace?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom