The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-04-2005, 09:54 PM
Nobility

To me, probably the most pressing conservation areas in Greece right now are the Parthenon, and the ancient temples and worship areas at Epidaurus, which are in terrible straights. Some of the temples have decayed very rapidly due to neglect and weather, etc. Delphi is also suffering with the bulk of tourists who come to see and touch the site every year. The oils of their hands, and the moisture from their breath actually accelerates the decay of the monuments, and that, of course, has a terrible effect on things when repeated for several hundred years. Now, while I agree Tatoi is a beautiful place, it was but a favorite residence of the kings, and I don't think much policy was decided there. The Greek kings were constitutional monarchs and the business of the state, civilization, etc. which you proposed were first introduced there, laskaris, I think would probably have been introduced in cities like Athens and Thessaloniki before.

Old 02-05-2005, 07:52 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia
well if the greeks could handle the olympics they can undoubtebly,
if they put their mind to it, restore palaces and
save the ancient monuments by tackling the problem of polution in athens (more harmful than the touch of human hands).
Unfortunatly the Olympic Games put them in debt so there is less money to go around. However it should be noted of course that the current government is not the same government that confiscated Tatoi etc or refused its surrender in the first place. Perhaps Mr Karamanlis will see more sence than Mr Smitas and Mr Papandreou as the New Democracy party are conservative than previous governments and are partialy supported by Monarchists. Unfortunalty as with so many governments, Greece has far to many other issues of concern than the state of a building or two and whether the GRF should be aloud back or not. Out of all the governments, Mr Karamanlis's is the most likely to be "helpfull" towards the GRF and their former property but he really is too busy with other pressing needs like their ecconomy to do anything about it.

Old 02-06-2005, 08:40 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splodger
Unfortunatly the Olympic Games put them in debt so there is less money to go around. However it should be noted of course that the current government is not the same government that confiscated Tatoi etc or refused its surrender in the first place. Perhaps Mr Karamanlis will see more sence than Mr Smitas and Mr Papandreou as the New Democracy party are conservative than previous governments and are partialy supported by Monarchists. Unfortunalty as with so many governments, Greece has far to many other issues of concern than the state of a building or two and whether the GRF should be aloud back or not. Out of all the governments, Mr Karamanlis's is the most likely to be "helpfull" towards the GRF and their former property but he really is too busy with other pressing needs like their ecconomy to do anything about it.
All are very good reasons why the gov't should just give back the royal properties back to the royal family so that the people of Greece don't have to worry about them. There is nothing wrong with letting them live in Greece and take care of family estates. That could be part of the agreement of them coming back. I think the point is that they can do something with the property and they aren't doing anything. I mean a shopping mall would work just do something!
Old 07-22-2005, 04:52 PM
Gentry

It's a

beautiful home indeed.But the one in Greece is even better!!:p
Old 07-23-2005, 10:23 PM
Courtier

I was looking at the picture of the house. Does it continue on to the right or is that the roof of another house?
Old 07-24-2005, 03:09 AM
Royal Highness

ARe they going to be given some of their palaces back in Greece.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:31 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by samitude
I was looking at the picture of the house. Does it continue on to the right or is that the roof of another house?
I am not a 100% sure, but from what i remember seeing of the back of their house and photo's taken from different angles on the front... i think that is another house.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:39 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reina
ARe they going to be given some of their palaces back in Greece.
The GRF stand more chance of winning the lottery than ever being given anything by the Greek Government. The Public Palace's such as the one in Athens near the 1896 Olympic Stadium was state property anyway and is now used as the Presidential Palace - so would not be given or sold to them. What was their Private property such as Tatoi - the Greek Government opted to pay the GRF compensation than give the property back. Therefore there is no property left uncompensated to give back, the Government is certainly unlikley to just give them any former property or new property as a gift and they are unlikely to sell the former property back to the GRF either. So cutting a long story short - it is very unlikley that Constantine will ever have the opertunity to live in what was once his family home again.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:12 AM
Nobility

All I know is a house like that one above would cost about $25 million in downtown Manhattan.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:37 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splodger
The GRF stand more chance of winning the lottery than ever being given anything by the Greek Government. The Public Palace's such as the one in Athens near the 1896 Olympic Stadium was state property anyway and is now used as the Presidential Palace - so would not be given or sold to them. What was their Private property such as Tatoi - the Greek Government opted to pay the GRF compensation than give the property back. Therefore there is no property left uncompensated to give back, the Government is certainly unlikley to just give them any former property or new property as a gift and they are unlikely to sell the former property back to the GRF either. So cutting a long story short - it is very unlikley that Constantine will ever have the opertunity to live in what was once his family home again.
I think it is really sad, the exile and confiscation of public property etc. what is the reason of the deposition of monarchy in Greece?
Old 07-25-2005, 08:44 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie
what is the reason of the deposition of monarchy in Greece?
A very very extensive and debated subject - I beleive many of us discussed at length in the thread "Monarchy in Greece" back in november/december 2003. The link should take you there.

Argument mainly falls to whether King Constantine II handled a series of events effectivly or not, and whether the choices he made were good, bad or the only ones available to him. The topic is discussed passionatly in length on the above link, however reading around the subject would be advisable to form your own conclusions - unltimatly the issue of the Greek Royal Family is a hotley debated subject and passions run very deep between the pro and anti greek monarchists.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:16 AM
Aristocracy

Cool Greek royal family's NEW house in Greece

http://members4.boardhost.com/alexb247/msg/63047.html

Here is the address. There is too much for me to put up here at this time. Hopefully someone else can do that. I don't want to loss it
Old 10-14-2005, 02:13 AM
Aristocracy

Posted by Lia on 10/9/2005, 10:03 am
According to a greek paper King Constantine bought a home for him and his family in Patmos island. The house used to belong to Aga Ghan who died back in 2003 and the price was 1,2 million Euros. The paper that published it is a gossip one so until we hear something from official sources assume it could be wrong!! Here is a pic of the front page of the paper!

Old 10-18-2005, 02:05 AM
Aristocracy

Here's the photo. I couldn't get it to upload the other day.:o
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kinghome4axA.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	203837  
Old 10-19-2005, 08:23 AM

Re:

When are they moving to Greece?

I think it would be nice for people to go and wave them off from their London home!
Old 10-19-2005, 10:11 AM
Commoner

Ladies, they are not moving to Greece. I have no idea who started this rumor but it is simply not true. The former greek royal family bought a house in Patmos. It's an excellent investment and plus the island is very beautiful. That's all there is to it. They have a long way before even consider coming back to Greece. And even if that was the case, they wouldn't be living on Patmos island (that's just for holidays).
Old 10-21-2005, 12:35 AM
Aristocracy

We got it from a magazine that Lia post on another site. It's at the top.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:09 PM

Quote:
they are not moving to Greece
Phew! I love having Constantine and Anne-Marie living here!
Old 11-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Aristocracy

More news his cousin Prince michel of greece owns a house in Patmos.

Quote from Lia from royal blue
Patmos is a greek island and its where the Apocalypsys (spel) book was writen. Its concidered a holy island and has very old monasteries!Its situated at the aegean sea!

The Greek "King" has a Danish passport so this makes him a European citizen and he is allowed to buy land!!

If that paper is indeed true its nice for them to get a home for vacation here!! (I always thought they would prefer Porto Heli area where they went two years in a row!)

If you want to read the whole thread here's the link:
http://forums.rbhq.net/showthread.ph...213#post104213
Here's another photo:

Administrator note: Here is a link to the picture of the house.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:12 PM
Aristocracy

Greek palace

The royal family used to own many palaces in Athens,Tatoi,Salonica and the island of Corfu.In 1974 a referendum abolished the monarchy and ever since the palace in Athens became the presidential palace,the Tatoi palace was left to ruin.The ones in Salonica and Corfu were given to the municipalities.Those pictures are from the palace in Tatoi after the European Court of Human Rights compensated the royal family and gave the whole royal family to the Greek state.