The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Nobility

A good article about Tato restoration, in the best french speaking royal blog I know of
Le domaine royal de Tato : une restauration progressive | Noblesse & Royauts

Old 03-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Commoner

Sr. Boutaris, current mayor of Thessaloniki,belongs to a winemakers Greek family have made a very interesting proposal to the Ministry of Culture, consisting of rebuilding the old plantations of wines that had in the Tatoi property,They will have in the property a plantation of wine, the proposal has been welcomed by the Greek authorities because the family would put the money for restoration, they would exploit the Tatoi estate.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:26 PM
Nobility

oh no!!!!!!!!!!!! I know the situation of the property is difficult, so far there hasnt been a serious restoration of the palace, some adjacent buildings have been repaired, while the Palace has not been restored, I do not like it because the usual is that from the beginning would had been repaired the Palace, but what can value have to repair the buildings where lived the palace guards?? if the important thing would be the palace.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Commoner

Dear friend, never it had any interest to the authorities , never, if it had existed a minimum interest in the property, for many years, it would have some utility
Old 03-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Serene Highness

Greek palaces

I only know of Tatoi but where are the others
Old 03-21-2011, 03:21 PM
Courtier

In Athens there are three (former) palaces in close proximity : The Old Palaces which I have read is the largest urban palace in Greece , was built during Otto's reign with money lent by his father and was finished in 1843. After, it was used by King George and his family .In 1909 a fire destroyed a large part of the Palace and although many royals kept rooms and appartments there , they practically abandoned its use. Since 1929 it houses the Greek Parliament
The New Palace was built on the purpose to be the residence of the Crown Prince. It was a gift of the Greek State to Crown Prince Constantine and the construction started after his marriage to Sophie of Prussia.After the 1909 fire on the Old Palace it became the main Palace whenever Greece was a Monarchy. today it is the Presidential Residence
Another very beautiful palace , although smaller, is the Nicholas Palace or Petit Palais. It was a wedding gift from Tsar Nicholas II to his first cousins upon their marriage. It took a few years to be built , and the couple's last daughter Marina was born there. After they returned from their second exile, Prince Nicholas decided to sell it and bought another smaller residence in the Phychiko area. It was originally bought by the Hotel Grande Bretagne and today it houses the Italian Embassy. I have also read that George and Marie Bonaparte also had a palace in the Kolonaki area but I have no information about it. There were also other royal residences in the capital but I don't think there are big enought to qualify as " palaces" , not that the others are extremely large - most royal residences would be classified as upper middle class or aristocratic villas in terms of size
Old 03-23-2011, 07:47 PM
Nobility

when I read about Queen sofia, I read always that she was born in Palace of Psychiko, but when I travelled to Athens and I saw to the Palace, it was not really a Palace, it was a great house( It was abandoned), but it was not form of palace.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Tatoi Palace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What were the inscriptions on the tombstones?
Old 06-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Nobility

In this best. - Federika, Queen of the greek and then one inscription, I thought resume of dates of when was born. If the surname of Royal family will change this inscription could be changed and delete . " of the greek" because the cementeries are of the State.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:51 PM
Aristocracy

Iris not get too close..... . I wonder what will be the future of the Palace of Tatoi? The Government is selling many assets in public ownership , could be the Palace of Tatoi between these. there must be an offer to buy at the Ministry of Culture..
Old 06-16-2011, 07:27 PM
Nobility

why do yu say this??????"..offer to buy.." Who???
Old 06-16-2011, 07:36 PM
Nobility

As per Greek law, there is no recognition of a royal family of Greece. I know that fact is simply ignored within this forum because it does not serve the purpose of the forum. Just because the ex-royal family of Greece claims to still be the GRF, does not make it so! They still hold their titles because of the Congress of Vienna 1815, but still are not the GRF. Greek law itself states that no royal family of that country exists. The claimant to this non-existent throne is simply hanging on to delusions of a grand future for him and his family. I do not think history will treat him well as he appears weak by not choosing a last name for him and other family members. His refusal to so, only shows his unwillingness to move Greece forward. I am only stating my understanding of this particular situation. Any other assumptions should not be made about this post.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Serene Highness

What does Constantine's unwillingness to adopt a last name have to do with the sale of the property at Tatoi? Hasn't the royal family already been compensated for the seizure of their private lands? And if Constantine does not wish to adopt a surname, how is this keeping Greece from moving forward? I don't think the public or the government gives two figs about the lack of a surname.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolopoulus View Post
Iris not get too close..... . I wonder what will be the future of the Palace of Tatoi? The Government is selling many assets in public ownership , could be the Palace of Tatoi between these. there must be an offer to buy at the Ministry of Culture..

Tatoi Palace is owned by the Greek State since 1994 a. But Nikolopoulus, have you suggested that it is for sale?
Old 06-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Courtier

I believe that Nikolopoulus said it might end up in sale , not that it is
Old 06-17-2011, 04:03 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipposathens View Post
Sr. Boutaris, current mayor of Thessaloniki,belongs to a winemakers Greek family have made a very interesting proposal to the Ministry of Culture, consisting of rebuilding the old plantations of wines that had in the Tatoi property,They will have in the property a plantation of wine, the proposal has been welcomed by the Greek authorities because the family would put the money for restoration, they would exploit the Tatoi estate.
but this operation might have been frustrated by the liquidity needs of the state, in the inventory of state owned assets, would be the palace of Tatoi and may be among the assets to sell or to award it to Greek and foreign banks to which the state owes money.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Offensive, insulting, patronising and self-serving posts have been and will continue to be removed from this and other threads.
This is not "censorship" as some like to claim. It is about maintaining a civil and friendly tone.

Members who wish to take issue with the Forums Community Rules and Terms of Service should do so via PM and not in the threads.

thanks.

Warren
Administrator
Old 06-18-2011, 04:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

There is no Greek law that outlaws the existence of the Greek Royal Family.
The Palaces and different villas the family had at its disposal since George I, have all become property of the State.
Now that just about everything of value the State owns is up for sale, perhaps Tatoi will be sold to someone who would respect the Palace enough to properly restore it and turn it into a museum.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:04 PM
Nobility

haha . .I do not believe that nobody would buy this palace to make a museum, it would cost more than the palace. the person who would buy it,they might make their residence, Psychiko was sold two years ago,it was say that it would be one museum,today is a private residence
Old 06-19-2011, 12:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

I was hoping someone with ready cash and respect for the location's history would turn it into a museum. Does not mean it will ever happen
Psychiko was sold many moons ago to a Cypriot shipowner who obviously resold it a couple of years ago. The family did not own it for a long time.