The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Aristocracy

@ Vasilofron and Beltraneja

You are both raising very interesting questions from the legal and constitutional standpoint.

First of all, whether they are treated by law as Greek or not, as long as they are European citizens, the members of the Greek royal family enjoy the same privileges as the Greek citizens and they can own estate anywhere, and they can buy plots in cemeteries and they can stand even as candidates for local authority elections. Once they choose to get naturalized, they may stand for parliamentary elections, even as candidates for premiership.

Now, here is the problem:
Private cemeteries are strictly forbidden by the current and past Greek Constitutions, since the inception of the modern Greek state, in fact. The only exception applied to and for the Royal Family.
People may buy and own plots in "active" cemeteries, but not own their own cemeteries. Further, once a cemetery is, for whatever reason, declared "inactive", it can no longer accept remains even if a family owns a plot or tomb there. The only exception in recent decades was the burrial of former prime-minister and president Constantine Karamanlis on the grounds of the large acreage of the Karamanlis Foundation in Filothei, Athens. In fact, the constitutionality of this act has been questioned.

Thus, a good bet is that in all likelihood the Royal Cemetery will be deemed "inactive" once the current kings and their children, born as princes and princesses of Greece, and their relatives, also born as prince(s) and princess(es) of Greece such as prince Michael and princess Irene have passed on.
This is only a guess and based on the fact that, from then on, all issue, even if naturalized by that time under the Hellenic Republic, will have no rights to continuity in the history of the Greek Monarchy.

I would like to read your thoughts on that. It is quite a morbid issue to discuss but has an enormous historical and legal significance.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Serene Highness

at this time, the cemetery and the palace are the state .... In conclusion the cemetery is public, to be buried in it must be asked permission from the authorities in Greece, I do not know what parameters the greek authorities uses to determine the person that can or not can not be buried in it.
I think that to be buried in that cemetery must be taken into account several factors:
The first, the desire of the family of be buried in Tatoi.
The second, that they seek permission from the Greek authorities
Third, I believe that there is no specific rule governing access to the cemetery Tatoi and therefore I believe that Greek authorities are free to admit or reject,
I think the absence of specific regulations regarding the cemetery, the authorities are free to decide, in conclusion, it can become a political issue

Old 12-17-2009, 10:35 PM
Commoner

Tatoi as far as i know is a private residence of King Constantine I know it is his wish to return to greece with his family and live there.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Greek government has taken Tatoi back from the Royal family. They allowed a certain crates of personal property to be removed from the Palace and compensated the King for a fraction of the estate's value.
The Greek State owns Tatoi for a number of years now. They have plans to open it sometime in the future as a museum.
The King no longer owns any royal property in Greece.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:42 PM
Serene Highness

A rare pic from inside Tatoi (the first ever seen for me) showing the high level of neglect after 40 years..

-> Tatoi disintegrating

From this article (in greek): kathimerini.gr |
I remember some pictures showing the rusting royal rolls royce, various work of arts or some Anne Marie's clothes found inside the palace...
Old 02-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Serene Highness

I was able to find this interesting article (in greek), yet relatively old (2005) but showing a good amount of pics of the items found inside Tatoi palace...

: ...

On a side note, there is a pic of some Anne Marie's dresses still looking lovely after 40 years !

http://www.forthnet.gr/media/FOTOS/g...A_TATOI_28.jpg

A good royal watcher can identify two of these dresses

The pink one :

http://cdn.theroyalforums.com/forums...2&d=1056241203

And the yellow one just behind:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_0X18t-8ZkNM/Sz...E%BF%CF%82.jpg

Fascinating time machine i must say ....
Old 02-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
A rare pic from inside Tatoi (the first ever seen for me) showing the high level of neglect after 40 years..

-> Tatoi disintegrating

From this article (in greek): kathimerini.gr |
I remember some pictures showing the rusting royal rolls royce, various work of arts or some Anne Marie's clothes found inside the palace...
I'm surprised the images, because two years ago, the Greek culture minister made a report in Tatoi connection with the restoration of the Palace ... the press said it had been removed the furnishings and moved to Athens for restoration " when is this photo? is present?
Old 02-18-2010, 04:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
when is this photo? is present?
Well apparently, the article is from november 2009. Maybe the valuable furnishing was removed (a good part was already sent to Constantine back in the 90's) and the rest (50's and 60's furnishing) left inside the mansion...
Old 02-18-2010, 05:12 PM
Serene Highness

The pink dress was the baptism of princess Alexia
Old 06-01-2010, 07:41 AM

Someone said in the previous pages (i think it was in this thread) that the former royal family could be used for advertisement reasons.I am not patient enough to search and quote the post but i agree.It wouldn't harm anyone if they lived in Greece unless if their way of living was way too expensive.It is hard to say if monarchy should be abolished but it wouldn't be bad if the palace was open for tourists and Marie Chantal's business were in Greece.That would be quite productive.In other words they could occupy people,give them jobs.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:13 AM
Serene Highness

That is a matter of the Greek government, the palace is owned by the state. The abandoned does not make any profit, but it is the Government who has to decide the fate of their properties.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Courtier

The palaces that the family used in the centre are already used - the big palace is were the Parliament is hosted and Constantine I palace is the Presidential residence. When it comes to the estate at Tatoi they should really open it to the public and restore it. It's not as if there are countless parks and other green areas in Attica and it does have a very big park. After all it was confiscated due to reason of "public interest" so the public might as well use it.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflower View Post
When it comes to the estate at Tatoi they should really open it to the public and restore it. It's not as if there are countless parks and other green areas in Attica and it does have a very big park. After all it was confiscated due to reason of "public interest" so the public might as well use it.
We are talking about the same thing.I said that even if they lived in Greece using it,it could still be open to the public.
I know that the main palace is used as a presidential house.I still remember Marie-Chantal's face during her tour some years ago,she could live there.I would be mad as well.Anyway.It wouldn't hurt anyone if they lived in Greece using their own properties and fortune.Greek state could handle the whole tax-thing.Because when they received 4 million euros the marvellous prime minister we had then said that if monarchy was restored Greek taxpayers would be severely damaged.But now that we got rid of them once and for good everything in Greece runs like Swiss clock.Nice.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Gentry

i think greece republic should allow the family to retain the use of the tatoi estate due to the fact that they have history there and to make up for the damage they have done to the family they should follow the example of romania and serbia where personal property even crown are given back to me its seem the greek have fear that given this historical house back to the family might provoke monarchist uprising
Old 07-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Nobility

^ You're not wrong,but the official reason of that denial from Greece's side was that Tatoi grove would be open to puplic.Of course the fear of the uprising that you mention is true.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Aristocracy

It is true that the official excuse was to protect the area of trees of Tatoi, but it was the excuse because for years has been abandoned and exposed to fire, it has not been cleaned and protected trees species.The dead trees havent been felled and the sick havent been fumigated, it has been abandoned......IT WAS A OFFICIAL EXCUSE
Old 07-15-2010, 06:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medousa View Post
Someone said in the previous pages (i think it was in this thread) that the former royal family could be used for advertisement reasons.I am not patient enough to search and quote the post but i agree.It wouldn't harm anyone if they lived in Greece unless if their way of living was way too expensive.It is hard to say if monarchy should be abolished but it wouldn't be bad if the palace was open for tourists and Marie Chantal's business were in Greece.That would be quite productive.In other words they could occupy people,give them jobs.
Wake up my dear, the monarchy has been abolished.As for giving jobs to Greeks I seriously doubt it as they look down on foreigners who want to commercialize the idea that everybody can be a civil servant instead of being in business.So you are reversing the principle of Monarchy- you want to use them- and not have them serve you-as for giving jobs i think it is late in the day to do that
Old 07-16-2010, 04:58 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolopoulus View Post
for years has been abandoned and exposed to fire, it has not been cleaned and protected trees species.The dead trees havent been felled and the sick havent been fumigated, it has been abandoned......IT WAS A OFFICIAL EXCUSE
True.And that's sad..Tatoi area is a very beautiful and historic place and now it is such a mess.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:57 PM
Courtier

I ve beem to Corfu for vacations for the last week and at last I was able to visit Mon Repos twice. I was pleasantly surprised because it is very well maintained , I expected to see it in a bad condition. Most of the rooms in the main palace are now a museum mainly with archaiological findings from the Palaiopolis area but on the ground floor there are a few rooms dedicated to the history of Mon Repos . A very obliging guide helped me and my firends and explained to us the history of the estate . Ιt was built in 1831 as a summer residence by the British High Comissioner of the Ionians Frederick Adam who was married to a Corfiot woman ,Nina Palatianou, famous for two things in the then society : her sharp mind and her unfortunate looks. However, they didn't use it for long , because Adam was relocated to serve to India. In his will, Adam left the palace to the municipality of Corfu and it was not used until King George I rented it. According to the museum guide, he was the onlu one of the Greek Kings who ever paid a rent for its use. She also showed to us copies of the original will, which were sent to the European courts. I noticed that although there were exhibits dating back to Adam and Palatianou , there were no exhibits from the Royral family and the guide told me that all things belonging to the family have either been removed by the King after the fortune settlement or went missing. It has been hard to monitor them, because Mon Repos stayed locked for 30 years. Only two royal items are still there - a broken vase which have been restored and a painting made by Frederika. I will try and post some pictures once I put them in order.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Aristocracy

The Anne Marie foundation could have bought a property near Athens,in it will be the Foundation for Greece, it will have a museum. Is it possible that this museum will be intended for the Greek royal family? will it be the future museum of the Royal Family?. Does anyone know anything about this?