Greek Royal Orders

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fie

Gentry
Country
Belgium
Can anybody tell me which orders were given out during the rign of both Constantine and his father Pavlos I and to whom?

Is there any order Constantine can give out to his family members or relations? Or is the Greek president the only one who can hand out orders?

I would be surprised if Constantine can still give out orders. It seems like the Greeks stripped him nearly everything when they abolished the monarchy.

Can anybody tell me which orders were given out during the rign of both Constantine and his father Pavlos I and to whom?

Is there any order Constantine can give out to his family members or relations? Or is the Greek president the only one who can hand out orders?

Greece has four orders
Order of the Redeemer (Grand Cross, Grand Commander, Commander, Gold Cross and Silver Cross)
Order of Honour (also 5 classes)
Order of the Phoenix (5 classes)
Order of Beneficence (5 classes)

The Order of Honour was introduced in 1975 to replace the Order of George I, which is now defunct. The Order of George I, originally created in 1915 by King Constantine I, was first abolished in the 1920s, during the First Hellenic Republic, at which point the Order of the Phoenix was created. Upon the restoration of the Monarchy, in 1935, the Order of George I was re-instated.

Theoretically, kings who were deposed but did not abdicate, could continue granting family orders.

Last edited:
King Constantine could only give out the Royal Order of St. George & St. Constantine, that is the Greek Royal Family Order. He has given it to Mr. Carlos Morales and also has given the Greek Royal Family Order of St. Olga & St. Sofia to Princess Marie Chantal.

The King could grant to anyone he wants the Greek Royal Family Order of St. George & St. Constanrine to men and the Royal Order of St. Olga & St. Sofia to women.

During the reign of King Paul I and King Constantine II, all the Orders of the Greek Kingdom were granted to Military and Civils.

See this PDF with the Greek Orders:

http://www.greekroyalfamily.gr/assets/ROYAL ORDERS (ENG).pdf

Thanks a lot. So Constantine can still give out the family orders, but not the other ones. I haven't had a chance to look at the link posted yet but did Constantine ever confer an order to another head of state?

Thanks a lot. So Constantine can still give out the family orders, but not the other ones. I haven't had a chance to look at the link posted yet but did Constantine ever confer an order to another head of state?

In the three years and nine months that he stayed on the throne before he fled to Rome and to the best of my recollection, King Constantine neither received visits from, nor paid visits to, foreign heads of state - the usual occasion of exchanging orders. Nonetheless, he may have done so privately.

In the three years and nine months that he stayed on the throne before he fled to Rome and to the best of my recollection, King Constantine neither received visits from, nor paid visits to, foreign heads of state - the usual occasion of exchanging orders. Nonetheless, he may have done so privately.

The King received President Habib Bourguiba of Tunisia, in 1965 (and received a Tunisian Order - The Queen didn't) and King Baudouin I of the Belgians.

King Constantine could only give out the Royal Order of St. George & St. Constantine, that is the Greek Royal Family Order. He has given it to Mr. Carlos Morales and also has given the Greek Royal Family Order of St. Olga & St. Sofia to Princess Marie Chantal.

The King could grant to anyone he wants the Greek Royal Family Order of St. George & St. Constanrine to men and the Royal Order of St. Olga & St. Sofia to women.

During the reign of King Paul I and King Constantine II, all the Orders of the Greek Kingdom were granted to Military and Civils.

See this PDF with the Greek Orders:

http://www.greekroyalfamily.gr/assets/ROYAL ORDERS (ENG).pdf

Prince Philippos wore the ribband of the Order of George I in the wedding of his cousin Prince Joachim of Denmark with Marie Cavallier, so this Order can also be awarded by The King (probably being a dynastic one).

What about Prince Nikolaos? He wears the Redeemer - did he received it when he was born, in 1969 (although in exile, but The King being the de facto and de jure Head of State) or when he turned 18? If so, The King can also award the "royal version" of this Order.

Last edited by a moderator:
physical and may order, is still king, and it is no secret,he can rull from far away the situation.

Royal Orders are a family matter in most royal famillies. Indeed, only the President of The Hellenic Republic can now give orders, and King Constantine can give the family orders.
King Constantine also visited the USA in the summer of 1968 and met with President Johnson, there for isn't true that he did't make visits to foreign Head of states.

Constantine can give the Orders that historically had haven relation with the Greek monarchy, but it has not same value that the Orders granted by President of Republic, this have value political, are granted by the Greek State, represented by the President.
The orders granted by Former King has not same political value, it can have value for the monarchies

In addition to what BELTRANEJA said, i must say that some orders of the Greek Monarchy, are still given from the President, such as are the Order of the Redeemer (Grand Cross, Grand Commander, Commander, Gold Cross and Silver Cross), Order of the Phoenix (5 classes) and Order of Beneficence (5 classes).
Those are all the same as in the Monarchy, but have no Crown on the medal.

King Constantine also visited the USA in the summer of 1968 and met with President Johnson, there for isn't true that he did't make visits to foreign Head of states.
You are correct. However, Greece was under the Junta at the time, so a good guess is that it was not a State Visit during which time orders/medals are normally exchanged.

You are correct. However, Greece was under the Junta at the time, so a good guess is that it was not a State Visit during which time orders/medals are normally exchanged.

the visit was a State visit, and was the last Constantine paid as an acting King. It was in 1967, a few months before he acts against the Junta.

the visit was a State visit, and was the last Constantine paid as an acting King. It was in 1967, a few months before he acts against the Junta.

I visited the LBJ Library's Section regarding the Gifts received from Foreign Heads of State during the LBJ Administration. Exchanging of Gifts in the Oval office between Heads of State and the members the sitting President's family is part of the Protocol and takes place immediately before the (usually) white-tie State dinner. The President and his family accept these presents strictly in behalf of the People of the United States - which means that they become public property and usually are displayed in the Libraries to honor former presidents.
The list of State visits to the USA between 1966 - 1968 does not mention one by the Head of the State of Greece.

But King Constantine did visit the USA in 1967.

Queen Sofia and Greek Royal Orders

Queen Sofia also has Greek royal orders, but she doesn't seem to wear them. In fact, from when she became a Queen she only wore then once in a formal event . I was when K.Karlamanlis visited Spain for the first time in the 80's. Well , the Queen had worn a marvellous dress, her most impressive tiara and jewellery and was proudly wearing her Greek Orders. Just to remind to him about what he owned to the palace and her parents.... You know , I have always wondered what colour was Karamanlis face when he actually realised it!:ROFLMAO:

I think the Greek Royals also hold Danish titles and passports.......

Greek Royal Order

My grandfather left me his Greek Royal Order of George 1. I would like to find out when it was given to him and by whom.
Does the Greek government keep records of this?

:previous:
There's a Greek Consulate General located in San Francisco. Why not give them a call or pay a visit?
They would be best-placed to advise you on accessing information held in the government archives.

I found thisclose up photo from Alexia's baptism and suddenly realised that the "ribbon" I had seen on other pictures is actually the Order of St Olga and St Sophia
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc248/sabbatical_album/cuatro/alexia.jpg
Couls someone explain to me if this was a tradition of the GRF to give orders at baptism? and why would they do it? I mean, a prince/ princess doens't usually use orders until he comes of age, so what's the point of granting one to a baby?

I guess it depends on the dynasty and tradition. For example, the Order of St. Catherine was only given to women and the Russian Empress was the head of the order. Russian Grand Duchesses were invested with the order at their christening or when they married a Grand Duke. Princesses of the Imperial Blood were invested at their majority when they turned 18.

It may the tradition of the Greek Royal Family to award the order to royal babies at their baptism.

I found thisclose up photo from Alexia's baptism and suddenly realised that the "ribbon" I had seen on other pictures is actually the Order of St Olga and St Sophia
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc248/sabbatical_album/cuatro/alexia.jpg
Couls someone explain to me if this was a tradition of the GRF to give orders at baptism? and why would they do it? I mean, a prince/ princess doens't usually use orders until he comes of age, so what's the point of granting one to a baby?

In Sweden Princes also got oders at their baptisma. There is the famous 4 generation photo of Carl Gustaf's baptism and you can see that the wears the sash of the Order of the Seraphim.

My grandfather left me his Greek Royal Order of George 1. I would like to find out when it was given to him and by whom.
Does the Greek government keep records of this?

I think that, among with the medal, he should have also a record in paper that says that he was given the medal. Can you find it?

Surely there must be a list of recipients somewhere. I wonder if writing to Constantine may help.

Surely there must be a list of recipients somewhere. I wonder if writing to Constantine may help.
You are right. The office of King Constantine must have archives about that, I mean family orders issued from 1974 onward. Insofar as recipients of such orders as the Grand Cross of George I, prior to 1974 as well as a list of those who are alive should normally be available at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Chief of protocol's office, or the corresponding office attached to the Presidency of the Republic.

One question, Had Queen Frederika the Order of King George I or II in recognition of her role in the reconstruction of Greece after World War II ?

..I read that she had King George's Cross to valor, it was the order that had Queen Federika

okey, but when was it granted?. Was it George A or George B ??

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/1/4/4/6/0/4/webimg/401540520_o.jpg?nc=595
s.gif

WWII ROYAL GREECE COLLAR ORDER OF St.George&Constantine

WWII ROYAL GREECE COLLAR ORDER OF St.George&Constantine on eBay (end time 24-Nov-10 21:46:49 GMT)

I found a few days ago this quite large photo of Frederika and I noticed something I hadn't before : she is wearing her Greek orders ( the Redeemer, the Star of the Order of St Olga and St Sophia , a medal I cannot identify but I believe it is King George's Cross of valor that Beltraneja mentioned early) and a man's portrait in a jewelled frame attached on a ribbon. This kind of portrait looks a lot like the royal family orders used in other countries but as far as I know Greece didn't have family orders. The only other woman of the GRF i know wearing something similar is Q Olga in her de Lazlo portrait (wearing the Order of the Redeemer and a portrait hanging from a light blue ribbon). To make thing more confusing for me Q Frederika hasn't worn this potrait in her youth but only much later (In this photo , at Constantine's wedding and Paul's funeral, in a photo with her daughters who were grown up young ladies etc). So, what do you think this is?
( photo found at Foros Dinastias and posted by Danjel)

Attachments

• DiamondTiara6QueenFriederike.jpg
    DiamondTiara6QueenFriederike.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 480
Back
Top Bottom