The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Royal Family of Greece

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Courtier

This kind of thing happens all the time in the architecture/construction industries and usually has more to do with a lapse in judgment or trying to speed up the process than with anything truly criminal. I hope it's resolved quickly so this wonderful family can continue their lives as normal.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Serene Highness

I think Carlos has not committed any crime, and proof is that the magistrate has not taken any measure against him.
When the judge will put an end to the investigation, he will issue an order, this is called "auto", it will say the people who could have committed a crime....I think that Carlos will not be among the defendants.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:31 AM
Aristocracy

Let us hope not.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Danish magazine, Billed-Bladet is reporting that Carlos may face up to four years in prison if he is found guilty. The article states that he has been formally charged (this may or may not be true).

Billed-Bladet - Dronning Anne-Maries svigers├Şn risikerer f├Žngsel (in Danish)

http://www.billedbladet.dk/Kongelige/ArticleFolder/2009/6/Prinsesse%20Alexias%20mand%20risikerer%20faengsel.aspx translated by GramTrans (translated in to English)
Old 06-16-2009, 11:59 PM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

I'm pretty sure that the Danish papers are mistranslating/misunderstanding the Spanish legal terms. I certainly hope he hasn't been arrested. The King has enough to worry about in recovering his health. My guess is that an arrest of him would make the Greek/Spanish/Danish and UK papers and be pretty widely covered because of Princess Alexia.

There was a report that Carlos was questioned at the Police Station; that would be common practice in an investigation. I couldn't find any articles with photos on this in the Spanish/Lanzarote media, though.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:56 AM
Royal Highness

The blog says he's being investigated for bribery and corruption - with regards to what exactly? Whom did he bribe/what was he being bribed for/how was he corrupt?
Old 06-17-2009, 02:10 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

According to the Spanish and Danish press Carlos is a person of interest in an investigation of bribery and corruption of various mayors and public officials in Lanzarote (and possibly elsewhere in Spain) in regards to contracts for buildings and land. Carlos is a successful architect and owns an additional firm that consults for companies bidding in the area. That is as far as the official record goes.

There are multiple versions of specific allegations being printed elsewhere. Those are rumors and I personally don't think they belong in this or any forum. However, I'm not an admin and that's their call. I have held back writing the blog post for a bit to see if this became more serious or went away completely. I personally chose not to list the specific allegations because they are rumors and slander.

Carlos Morales may be related to royalty, but he is living as a private person and the Greek Royal Family is deposed (no matter how much some of us appreciate various members of the family). Carlos may well be innocent and at this moment in time he has not even been charged. In my opinion, it's better to wait to list the more specific media allegations, speculations and rumors until (or IF) there are official charges.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:36 AM
Royal Highness

Thanks for the info. I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, I believe in "innocent until proven guilty". On the other hand, sometimes maybe that's just how business gets done?
Old 06-17-2009, 04:26 AM
Courtier

I personally hope his name is cleared and that he was questioned for the sake of being questioned, for no other reason than the fact that he has a lovely wife and family.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:02 AM
Serene Highness

In Spain the criminal trials has two phases:
1-the instruction, Judge Instructor, investigates the facts that have been denunciation.This stage ends with a resolution that it is called "Auto" is this resolution which establishes who are the persons defendant and the crime that is attributed to their (an "imputado" is not a defendant).That "Auto" has not been dictated still
2-The trial would be heard before a different judge at this stage of trial is where they must present evidence and it ends with the sentence.

The problem is another. No one can know the facts by which it is investigated to Carlos because that the investigating Judge decreed the "secret of the investigations","The secret of investigating" Besides facilitating the investigations have other function that is save the privacy of individuals investigated and engender the least possible damage to its image or business.
Do not keep the secret of investigation and that it transcend the press, is a crime.
THE CRIME OF DISOBEDIENCE TO THE AUTHORITY.
It is obvious that this has been violated, evidence of this is that the Spanish and Danish newspapers have published it.. Someone has committed a crime of disobedience

Carlos has not been found guilty and the press already presumed guilty, it will significantly harm your business and person ...

and to think that the presumption of innocence is a basic democratic values ...

On the other hand, if the Danish newspaper said that Carlos has been arrested, it seems to me to say this is very serious, because Carlos has been called to testify has not been arrested ..
Arrested and being called to testify, This is not the same
When Call to testify to a person, the judge send a letter to the person, it says the day and time that the person have to go to court to answer questions.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:09 AM
Royal Highness

I sincerely hope some of the press are printing things that have not happened. Thanks, Beltraneja, for explaining how the law works in Spain. It┤s an awful idea to have a person found guilty before even a trial!
Old 06-17-2009, 07:32 AM
Serene Highness

I do not like the owner of "the Billed Bladet", it seems to point directly Queen Anne Marie as guilty of this.

Billed-Bladet - Dronning Anne-Maries svigers├Şn risikerer f├Žngsel
Old 06-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Courtier

Beltraneja, in post No. 383 "sgl" has an English translation of the Billed-Bladet article you mention in your post No. 391!
I can┤t find any accusation of Ex-Queen Anne-Marie
Old 06-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Serene Highness

I refer to the title of the news. The Queen of Greece has nothing with the facts, but her name is in the title, it has not the name of Carlos Morales, it has the name of the Queen Anne Marie.

Billed-Bladet - Dronning Anne-Maries svigers├Şn risikerer f├Žngsel

In my opinion,It should says the name of Carlos and
underneath of title, in the small letters,it should says that Carlos is husband of the Princess Alexia of Greece , daughter of the Ex Queen Anne Marie.
This is obvious, The journalist wants that the readers identify to the Queen with the case
Old 06-17-2009, 01:10 PM
Nobility

I wonder if part of the problem of understanding what's going on is in the translation of the word "imputado." My guess is that it's related to the English word "impugn," which means to challenge as being false or wrong. Someone who is "impugned" would be questioned with a suggestion that they're wrong or guilty (not necessarily in a legal proceeding).

Being impugned (in English) doesn't suggest that you actually did something wrong or bad, just that someone is challenging you. For instance, if you said the dinner I cooked last night was horrible, I might say, "How dare you impugn my cooking?!?"

In that sense, I wonder if what the Spanish reports are saying is that Carlos has been questioned in connection with an ongoing case. That's not to say that he has been charged with any crime at all, or that he's suspected of doing anything wrong. Authorities are probably questioning every high-profile person with connections to the construction industry in Lanzarote.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Exactly, it's like a person of interest in a criminal investigation in the United States. It's someone who the police are "investigating" as having a connection but who has not been charged by a judge. I think the Danish media are a bit too eager to throw him in the pond to have a new "scandal" in the royal family. I'm not convinced that the leaks are in any way accurate. Carlos could simply be providing evidence on others. Only the judge knows for sure.

The Danish report is simply calling him "Queen Anne-Marie's Son-in-law". It's a way to tie what's going on to her and the Danish Royals to hype it up. It's also a way to identify him because, let's be honest, he's not as famous as some of the other royal spouses.

For those who haven't seen it, Carlos was recently photographed by a Spanish Photographer. The pictures are pretty good. You have to click on the photos in the blog to see the whole set, including unused photos. http://www.davidseri.com/2009/04/car...rquitecto.html There are some charming pictures in his office that show he has his children's drawings on the wall.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:15 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sg1fan View Post

Exactly, it's like a person of interest in a criminal investigation in the United States. It's someone who the police are "investigating" as having a connection but who has not been charged by a judge.
I think we should be careful using the term "person of interest." That's a term the media throws around, typically to mean a "suspect." It really doesn't have any specific legal meaning (in the United States at least) -- it's just a phase the police and media use when they don't want to use anything more specific.

When someone goes in for questioning, it may mean that they have information related to an investigation, but aren't guilty of anything. This could well be that kind of situation.

I'd hate to see anyone's character and reputation damaged by discussions like this using terms incorrectly, especially when things get lost in translation, when we don't have any actual facts, and when each county's legal system is so complicated and different.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnel View Post
I wonder if part of the problem of understanding what's going on is in the translation of the word "imputado." My guess is that it's related to the English word "impugn," which means to challenge as being false or wrong. Someone who is "impugned" would be questioned with a suggestion that they're wrong or guilty (not necessarily in a legal proceeding).
You have the basic meaning right (I'm a native Spanish speaker), but you don't have to get as far away from the cognate as you did, given that the word "impute" also exists in English and does not mean the same as "impugn," which is "impugnar" in Spanish.

Speaking colloquially in English, we might say that "imputado" can be translated as "accused." However, as Warren has posted above (#373), there is a difference in Spanish law between being "imputado" and "acusado." The difference reflects something akin to the difference between a regular trial in the United States and what happens in a Grand Jury, which hands down an indictment after conducting an investigation. As you know, when someone has been "indicted," it's more serious than having been merely "accused."

The confusion comes perhaps because the more serious term in Spanish is "acusado," whereas "accused" is the lesser one in English.

To sum up, "imputado" in Spain = "accused" in the U.S. system, and
"acusado" in Spain = "indicted" in the U.S.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Heir Apparent

I understand why the title of the article in the Danish magazine would be frustrating, but I believe that the writers did it because Danes may not know his name off-hand. They wanted to sell magazines, and what sells magazines more than a familiar person being linked with a crime?. Reporters often tend to overlook small but very important details, such as Queen Anne Marie's lack of involvement in anything, and the fact that Carlos Morales has NOT been arrested or found guilty. They are just like every other magazine of this style-trying to grab the reader's attention with dramatic headlines. I understand Beltraneja's frustration, and I truly hope that if he is innocent, that he is completely cleared of these accusations. If he is guilty, then he should be punished just as anyone else would be punished in the same situation.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:35 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by claypoint2 View Post
You have the basic meaning right (I'm a native Spanish speaker), but you don't have to get as far away from the cognate as you did, given that the word "impute" also exists in English and does not mean the same as "impugn," which is "impugnar" in Spanish.
I typically think of "impute" being more a synonym for "attribute," without a negative connotation -- why I jumped to impugned -- but you're perfectly right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claypoint2 View Post
Speaking colloquially in English, we might say that "imputado" can be translated as "accused." However, as Warren has posted above (#373), there is a difference in Spanish law between being "imputado" and "acusado."
Thank you for pointing that post out -- somehow I missed it the first time around. From that, it sounds like Carlos' problems may be a bit more serious than I thought.

Sounds like we'd say in English, "He's a suspect in a corruption case, who was called in for questioning by the police."

(Of course, regardless of the right word, he still is presumed innocent...)