The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Royal Family of Greece

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-09-2014, 02:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Well, living in their own world or not, P & MC must also have read in the press that Inaki embazzled a lot of money. And most people do not like frauds. Perhaps they have the view of 'love the sinner but not the sin'? Still, posting 'fun' pictures of Cristina enjoying herself at instagram isn't a smart thing to do and the message is obvious. Of course MC has no responsibility towards the Spanish public, but still... it isn't really helping. I am sure that MC will read the acid comments that are posted in reaction to the picture on her instagram account. It is far too soon for any rehabilitation of Cristina. First the trial needs to end and she and her husband need to pay their dues.
What do you expect them to do? Ask her not to be photographed? Don´t you think this would be very ridiculous?!
Posting an innocent instagram photo has nothing to do with trying to "rehabilitate" someone.

I´m not a big fan of the spanish royal family, but some people act like C and Inaki commited murder, childabuse or kidnap someone...
Okay, this is a serious matter, too, but still...

When it comes to "rehabilitation" I think both the greek and the spanish royal families don´t feel any need to that as Cristina was never excluded from the families! I wouldn´t react any different towards a family member because of money. If you call that "living in a bubble", go ahead! When sticking to a sister, cousin, whatever, no matter what means "living in a bubble" I like that, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by julliette View Post
Pavlos with Achileas and Alexios, from Olympia's instagram
.@olympiagreece | Father and sons @achigreece @alexiosgreece | Webstagram
His second name "Alexios" isn´t used (in the family). It´s "Tino" from Constantine (same nickname like his grandfather´s one).

Old 03-09-2014, 09:35 PM
Serene Highness

In my opinion, I like the pictures published by Mc because Cristina is her cousin, and family is family, the family is for the good moments and for the worse moments . The Infanta Cristina has not been judged today by a judge, there has been no trial, and has a right to the presumption of innocence, which is the highest value of democracy . Regardless, the family is family, I can not criticize the Queen by defend to her daughter, I admire to the Queen by defend to her daughter, I can not criticize Prince Philip by to love to his sister, and I can not criticize the Paul and MC , they are cousins, because the family is above all criticisms.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Of course MC would take her kids out of school and jazz up the gathering and make it even more special with pictures, etc. Her husband and children are the heirs to a deposed monarchy which has faded away more and more with no chance of even using their old summer home.
Poor constantine looks quite frail and the others look worried about him, imo
Old 03-10-2014, 03:19 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

3 reasons why JC didnt go
Los tres motivos de la ausencia del Rey en Grecia - Noticias de Casas Reales

- diplomatic misunderstandings
- health
- king doesnt attend funerals (? its not a funeral but a memorial)

IMO the first and foremost reason is that the king doesnt want to be seen with the dethroned GRF, least of all in greek territory. As I said before, its the greek siblings' show, JC wouldnt be center of attention.
Of course he attended the memorial of his own father
Old 03-11-2014, 01:43 AM

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...psa05a2ba9.jpg

By express desire of Sofia, her three children accompanied her to Greece for the commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the death of her father, Paul.

According to Madrid's El País, the three siblings hadn't been photographed at a public event since June, 2013.

The video on the following link shows Felipe being cool to Cristina, who looks very uncomfortable.

The coup de grace is the group portrait: on one side Sofia, Felipe, Letizia, Elena, and their children. On the far side, Cristina.

Notably absent are both Iñaki Urdangarín and Carlos Morales, husband of Alexia of Greece.

You can see a short video of the ceremony, and an article in Spanish, by clicking here.

Photo source (and additional pics): El País
Old 03-11-2014, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
3 reasons why JC didnt go...
Bu the used to attend funerals such as in the Netherlands where he attended at last the ones of Prince Claus, Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard. the Queen Mothers etc. So i think if he would have been in good health he should have attended a memorial of his own father-in-law.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

King Juan Carlos, stands on no health conditions to make that trip or to walk the roads of Tatoi. But in any case, I do not think he had attended.

This was a private ceremony, the Spanish royal family has traveled on scheduled flights and with their own safety. The Royal House has refused to give information or details of this family event.

I do not believe that the Greek Government had been very happy with the idea of the king, a head of state in Tatoi, a place of strong historical content for the Greek monarchy. Especially now with the controversy over the sale of the property. Probably his presence also would have forced the Greek authorities to participate in the event.

The first State Visit of the King and Queen of Spain to Greece was in 1998, after years of diplomatic discussions.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:10 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
What do you expect them to do? Ask her not to be photographed?
I was not talking about living in a bubble, but replied to a poster who mentioned that. I also meant rehabilitation in the public eye, not within the family. As others said, family is family and usually sticks together. This is IMO how it should be and I do hope that the infanta and her husband can find the support they need there. The Spanish public is less forgiving than family is. This is their good right since it appears that Inaki U. stole millions of euros from the public. Since these instagram pictures are posted for all to see & were not for private use, it is nt surprising that some Spaniards reacted rather angrily. Still, I agree that the reactions towards C&I are a bit over the top. There are much more corrupt persons in Spain, among them members of the government, who embazzled more money and who got away with it relatively easy. But somehow much of the public outcry is reserved for Cristina and her husband.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:12 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
I do not believe that the Greek Government had been very happy with the idea of the king, a head of state in Tatoi...
The continuing hysteria of the greek authorities concerning the royal family, after all these years, really starts to bore me.
On the one hand they say the monarchy issue is closed, nobody cares, the royal family almost forgotten, no interest etc. etc.
On the other hand there is this constant mistrust, anxiety the king won´t stay too long at particular places (such as Tatoi), criticism about royal comments on political issues (which, as a private person, is is right to do, when being asked).

And then this title-subject! I know of no country when a king, queen, whoever, were deposed, that they were started being called prince or stuff like that (the Netherlands are worldwide the only exception. And dutch monarchs abdicate; King Constantine never did that).
When the last german emperor was in his dutch exile people, up to this very day, kept calling him "the Kaiser" or "Wilhelm II" though he was never popular or very much liked (especially nowadays). The then Crown Princess of Germany even remained in Germany during these revolutinary months back in 1918/19 because she was estranged to her husband, the CP, and didn´t want to live in Holland!

I think the greek authorities are kind of "obsessed" (in a negative way) by the Royals which I just don´t understand!
Things would (finally) normalise when they´d stopped their criticism and moaning. As long as this continues I very much doubt the "Monarchy issue" is really closed in Greece.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Agree 100% with you.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:49 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I dont think the relation between JC and the greek relatives is not good, they stopped coming to Spain for holiday with only a few exceptions, and I dont recall any events where JC attended with Sofia when Constantine was around. I am pretty sure seeing Sofia suffer in private had an impact on their relationship, JC is not the type to be lectured by somebody else.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:05 PM
Serene Highness

If this has been posted before, I´m sorry!
It´s a video (unfortunately mute) of King Paul´s sad, but still spectacular, state funeral procession through the streets of Athens (from Brit. Pathé News):

KING PAUL'S FUNERAL PROCESSION - British Pathé
Old 03-11-2014, 07:18 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

Some attendees

1. King Simeon of Bulgaria
2. Margrave Max of Baden
3. Prince Ludwig of Baden
4. Margrave Max and Archduchess Valerie of Baden (sitting next to Cristina)
5. A smiling Infanta Cristina (partially obsured by Prince Philippos) chatting to her brother (with what looks like a young Tintin gatecrashing the picture).

Thumbnails 2 and 5 are cropped screenshots;
Thumbnails 1, 3 and 4 have been heavily cropped from much larger photographs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Felipe & Cristina.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	291212  
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2014, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I dont think the relation between JC and the greek relatives is not good, they stopped coming to Spain for holiday with only a few exceptions, and I dont recall any events where JC attended with Sofia when Constantine was around. I am pretty sure seeing Sofia suffer in private had an impact on their relationship, JC is not the type to be lectured by somebody else.
I maybe wrong I think that the last time the Greek Royal Family came en masse to Madrid was for Queen Sofia's 70th Birthday Celebrations but I can't recall if King Constantine II was there.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Doesn't JC have to stay home as regent. Is it possible for all senior adult members of the royal family to be out of the country at the same time? That's what I thought was behind JC not attending.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
Doesn't JC have to stay home as regent. Is it possible for all senior adult members of the royal family to be out of the country at the same time? That's what I thought was behind JC not attending.
As far as I'm aware there's no requirement for a Regent in Spain if the king is abroad only during the minority of a Monarch.Perhaps as all the rest of the family were in Greece or in Geneva he decided to stay put!
Old 03-12-2014, 05:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
As far as I'm aware there's no requirement for a Regent in Spain if the king is abroad only during the minority of a Monarch.
Okay, thanks for clarifying.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Could Greek members of the Board say if this Event was in the newspapers or TV ?
Grateful thanks. MO
Old 03-12-2014, 05:22 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I maybe wrong I think that the last time the Greek Royal Family came en masse to Madrid was for Queen Sofia's 70th Birthday Celebrations but I can't recall if King Constantine II was there.
Yes he was there, Sofia celebrated her birthday with a concert and extended royal friends/family.
http://www.farahpahlavi.org/fpsp13.JPG

At JC's 70th there was only the core family, no greek relatives to be seen.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Yes he was there, Sofia celebrated her birthday with a concert and extended royal friends/family.
http://www.farahpahlavi.org/fpsp13.JPG

At JC's 70th there was only the core family, no greek relatives to be seen.
I'd forgotten about the gala dinner and that Empress Farah was there too,thanks for the memory

Tags
crown prince felipe, crown prince pavlos, crown princess letizia, crown princess marie chantal, greece, infanta cristina, infanta elena, king constantine ii, king paul, memorial, prince nikolaos, princess alexia, princess irene (1942 -), princess tatiana of greece, princess theodora, queen anne-marie, queen sofia, royal family of greece