50th anniversary of the death of King Paul I of Greece: March 2014.

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont want to rain on anyone's parade, but I just dont get this. Why hold a "memorial" service for someone who died 50 years ago?

Or is it a covert golden jubilee service?

Because 3 years after his death and for almost 3 decades they were not allowed even not to approach his tomb, and after all it is a private event, they have fully the right to pay respect.

All the videos I saw, Felipe and Cristina had avoided to talk to each other, I haven't seen any interaction between them even when they were close enough. Anyway, I don't see the reason they had to be mean to each other either, they are still brother and sister.

Video:
El principe Felipe se reencuentra en público con su hermana Cristina

Instead of sitting with her mom and sister Elena on the front row, Cristina already sat by herself the previous night on the other end, the Asturias were not even there.

http://www.casareal.es/sitios/Lista...CTOS_DE_HOME-ES-131666/20140305_grecia_01.jpg

Not giving an opinion, just pointing out that it looked in a few pictures like Elena was actually seated in between Cristina and Pavlos's boys in the second row. There are a couple of pics of them sitting next to each other. In most of the pics where everyone is seated you don't see Elena but you do see an empty seat next to Cristina. I'll take a look and find the pics I'm talking about. Until I saw them I thought the same thing.

edit:
Finally remembered where I saw them but I don't know how to post a direct link to a facebook pic so here is the link again to the facebook page about the documentary https://www.facebook.com/KingPavlosDoc. It also has other pics that I hadn't seen in the various galleries posted.

Last edited:
Why should people be bothered if Felipe smiled or not to his sister, or if she should be here or there. After all, this was all about King Paul´s 50th anniversary. Cristina is his granddaughter as much as Felipe or Elena, Alexia, Pavlos, Nicholas, Theodora and Philippos.If they didn´t want her there she wouldn´t be there. Should she be guillotined for what supposedly her husband did?
By the way, I never saw a process last for so long in my life. And I´m used to the way Brazilian courts are slow.

The greek state owns Tatoi after paying some compensation to Constantine. Since then it has been locked up, there were plans to turn it into a museum but there is no money to proceed, so the state wants to sell it.

What are the probabilities of the greek royal family (Constantine) to buy it? Would they be interested in buying it? Would they have the money? Would any one else be interested?

What are the probabilities of the greek royal family (Constantine) to buy it? Would they be interested in buying it? Would they have the money? Would any one else be interested?

After Constantine was deposed and exiled, the greek state claimed ownership of the palace. Constantine went to court and claimed it was private property, the verdict was to pay him a small compensation and keep the ownership with the state. I doubt they would want to sell this property back to the GRF, just imagine MC holding court there :p:whistling: its the last thing the state would want.
They are looking for investors but its difficult because of the heritage you cant demolish it, but I guess it will have to be restored from top to bottom and who would have the money to do it? Greeks have other problems than to pay entry to see their former palace as a museum a la Buckingham Palace.

The goverment confiscated the Palace in 1994. The Family demanded in the Courts that had been infringed his property right, Strasbourg´s Court estimated it. The Court said the decision of the Government to confiscate property violated the right of property (the sentence is from 2000). The Strasbourg Court awarded two years to the government, to return the property or compensate to Constantine, the Government refused to negotiate. The Court established a compensation 2002. The problem is that it has spent more than 15 years and the government has done nothing with it, . Today the palace would have very low value on sale, because it must be restored,, Greece has economic problems and do not think the government can invest in it, it is obvious that there are other priorities, when Greece had money could restore but if the government did not it, is because never want it.

In 2010 King Constantine said he had arrived to the conclusion that the Palace never will return to the Royal House . He said he had tried every means to acquire it , but now he knew it never would return for his family .

Last edited:
yes the pictures of HM Crying were heartbreaking. I almost cried myself. Private property is INVIOLATE. In any democratic society that has to be a PILLAR, if it's not then you aren't a democracy. You can twist it how you want , the Greek gvt could possibly get by with claiming the Crown Princes's Palace/Later the Royal palace by saying it was acquired by virtue of the royal family's status as a Sovereign Family, but King George Acquired Tatoi with his personal funds. It's nothing but a testament to hypocrisy. this is just my personal opinion but this is a Memorial to King Pavlos , not what his Grandson-in law may/ or may not have done or what personal ( and i do say personal) in fighting may or may not be between his grandchildren.
The King dedicated his life to the Greek people and it's fitting that he finally be remembered

Well, living in their own world or not, P & MC must also have read in the press that Inaki embazzled a lot of money. And most people do not like frauds. Perhaps they have the view of 'love the sinner but not the sin'? Still, posting 'fun' pictures of Cristina enjoying herself at instagram isn't a smart thing to do and the message is obvious. Of course MC has no responsibility towards the Spanish public, but still... it isn't really helping. I am sure that MC will read the acid comments that are posted in reaction to the picture on her instagram account. It is far too soon for any rehabilitation of Cristina. First the trial needs to end and she and her husband need to pay their dues.
What do you expect them to do? Ask her not to be photographed? Don´t you think this would be very ridiculous?!
Posting an innocent instagram photo has nothing to do with trying to "rehabilitate" someone.

I´m not a big fan of the spanish royal family, but some people act like C and Inaki commited murder, childabuse or kidnap someone...
Okay, this is a serious matter, too, but still...

When it comes to "rehabilitation" I think both the greek and the spanish royal families don´t feel any need to that as Cristina was never excluded from the families! I wouldn´t react any different towards a family member because of money. If you call that "living in a bubble", go ahead! When sticking to a sister, cousin, whatever, no matter what means "living in a bubble" I like that, too!

Pavlos with Achileas and Alexios, from Olympia's instagram
.@olympiagreece | Father and sons @achigreece @alexiosgreece | Webstagram
His second name "Alexios" isn´t used (in the family). It´s "Tino" from Constantine (same nickname like his grandfather´s one).

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion, I like the pictures published by Mc because Cristina is her cousin, and family is family, the family is for the good moments and for the worse moments . The Infanta Cristina has not been judged today by a judge, there has been no trial, and has a right to the presumption of innocence, which is the highest value of democracy . Regardless, the family is family, I can not criticize the Queen by defend to her daughter, I admire to the Queen by defend to her daughter, I can not criticize Prince Philip by to love to his sister, and I can not criticize the Paul and MC , they are cousins, because the family is above all criticisms.

Of course MC would take her kids out of school and jazz up the gathering and make it even more special with pictures, etc. Her husband and children are the heirs to a deposed monarchy which has faded away more and more with no chance of even using their old summer home.
Poor constantine looks quite frail and the others look worried about him, imo

3 reasons why JC didnt go
Los tres motivos de la ausencia del Rey en Grecia - Noticias de Casas Reales

- diplomatic misunderstandings
- health
- king doesnt attend funerals (? its not a funeral but a memorial)

IMO the first and foremost reason is that the king doesnt want to be seen with the dethroned GRF, least of all in greek territory. As I said before, its the greek siblings' show, JC wouldnt be center of attention.
Of course he attended the memorial of his own father :p

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb149/travelingman/sofi_zpsa05a2ba9.jpg

By express desire of Sofia, her three children accompanied her to Greece for the commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the death of her father, Paul.

According to Madrid's El País, the three siblings hadn't been photographed at a public event since June, 2013.

The video on the following link shows Felipe being cool to Cristina, who looks very uncomfortable.

The coup de grace is the group portrait: on one side Sofia, Felipe, Letizia, Elena, and their children. On the far side, Cristina.

Notably absent are both Iñaki Urdangarín and Carlos Morales, husband of Alexia of Greece.

You can see a short video of the ceremony, and an article in Spanish, by clicking here.

Photo source (and additional pics): El País

3 reasons why JC didnt go...
Bu the used to attend funerals such as in the Netherlands where he attended at last the ones of Prince Claus, Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard. the Queen Mothers etc. So i think if he would have been in good health he should have attended a memorial of his own father-in-law.

King Juan Carlos, stands on no health conditions to make that trip or to walk the roads of Tatoi. But in any case, I do not think he had attended.

This was a private ceremony, the Spanish royal family has traveled on scheduled flights and with their own safety. The Royal House has refused to give information or details of this family event.

I do not believe that the Greek Government had been very happy with the idea of the king, a head of state in Tatoi, a place of strong historical content for the Greek monarchy. Especially now with the controversy over the sale of the property. Probably his presence also would have forced the Greek authorities to participate in the event.

The first State Visit of the King and Queen of Spain to Greece was in 1998, after years of diplomatic discussions.

What do you expect them to do? Ask her not to be photographed?
I was not talking about living in a bubble, but replied to a poster who mentioned that. I also meant rehabilitation in the public eye, not within the family. As others said, family is family and usually sticks together. This is IMO how it should be and I do hope that the infanta and her husband can find the support they need there. The Spanish public is less forgiving than family is. This is their good right since it appears that Inaki U. stole millions of euros from the public. Since these instagram pictures are posted for all to see & were not for private use, it is nt surprising that some Spaniards reacted rather angrily. Still, I agree that the reactions towards C&I are a bit over the top. There are much more corrupt persons in Spain, among them members of the government, who embazzled more money and who got away with it relatively easy. But somehow much of the public outcry is reserved for Cristina and her husband.

I do not believe that the Greek Government had been very happy with the idea of the king, a head of state in Tatoi...
The continuing hysteria of the greek authorities concerning the royal family, after all these years, really starts to bore me.
On the one hand they say the monarchy issue is closed, nobody cares, the royal family almost forgotten, no interest etc. etc.
On the other hand there is this constant mistrust, anxiety the king won´t stay too long at particular places (such as Tatoi), criticism about royal comments on political issues (which, as a private person, is is right to do, when being asked).

And then this title-subject! I know of no country when a king, queen, whoever, were deposed, that they were started being called prince or stuff like that (the Netherlands are worldwide the only exception. And dutch monarchs abdicate; King Constantine never did that).
When the last german emperor was in his dutch exile people, up to this very day, kept calling him "the Kaiser" or "Wilhelm II" though he was never popular or very much liked (especially nowadays). The then Crown Princess of Germany even remained in Germany during these revolutinary months back in 1918/19 because she was estranged to her husband, the CP, and didn´t want to live in Holland!

I think the greek authorities are kind of "obsessed" (in a negative way) by the Royals which I just don´t understand!
Things would (finally) normalise when they´d stopped their criticism and moaning. As long as this continues I very much doubt the "Monarchy issue" is really closed in Greece.

I dont think the relation between JC and the greek relatives is not good, they stopped coming to Spain for holiday with only a few exceptions, and I dont recall any events where JC attended with Sofia when Constantine was around. I am pretty sure seeing Sofia suffer in private had an impact on their relationship, JC is not the type to be lectured by somebody else.

Last edited:
Some attendees

1. King Simeon of Bulgaria
2. Margrave Max of Baden
3. Prince Ludwig of Baden
4. Margrave Max and Archduchess Valerie of Baden (sitting next to Cristina)
5. A smiling Infanta Cristina (partially obsured by Prince Philippos) chatting to her brother (with what looks like a young Tintin gatecrashing the picture).

Thumbnails 2 and 5 are cropped screenshots;
Thumbnails 1, 3 and 4 have been heavily cropped from much larger photographs.

Attachments

• King Simeon.jpg
    King Simeon.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 416
  • Margrave Max.jpg
    Margrave Max.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 395
  • Prince Ludwig of Baden.jpg
    Prince Ludwig of Baden.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 366
  • Max & Valerie of Baden.jpg
    Max & Valerie of Baden.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 419
  • Felipe & Cristina.jpg
    Felipe & Cristina.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 721
Last edited:
I dont think the relation between JC and the greek relatives is not good, they stopped coming to Spain for holiday with only a few exceptions, and I dont recall any events where JC attended with Sofia when Constantine was around. I am pretty sure seeing Sofia suffer in private had an impact on their relationship, JC is not the type to be lectured by somebody else.

I maybe wrong I think that the last time the Greek Royal Family came en masse to Madrid was for Queen Sofia's 70th Birthday Celebrations but I can't recall if King Constantine II was there.

Doesn't JC have to stay home as regent. Is it possible for all senior adult members of the royal family to be out of the country at the same time? That's what I thought was behind JC not attending.

Doesn't JC have to stay home as regent. Is it possible for all senior adult members of the royal family to be out of the country at the same time? That's what I thought was behind JC not attending.

As far as I'm aware there's no requirement for a Regent in Spain if the king is abroad only during the minority of a Monarch.Perhaps as all the rest of the family were in Greece or in Geneva he decided to stay put!

Could Greek members of the Board say if this Event was in the newspapers or TV ?
Grateful thanks. MO

I maybe wrong I think that the last time the Greek Royal Family came en masse to Madrid was for Queen Sofia's 70th Birthday Celebrations but I can't recall if King Constantine II was there.

Yes he was there, Sofia celebrated her birthday with a concert and extended royal friends/family.
http://www.farahpahlavi.org/fpsp13.JPG

At JC's 70th there was only the core family, no greek relatives to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom