50th anniversary of the death of King Paul I of Greece: March 2014.

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From Hola

La Reina asiste con sus hijas, sus hermanos y sus sobrinos a la proyección en Atenas de un documental sobre su padre

Bekia

Las Infantas Elena y Cristina acompañan a la Reina Sofía a la proyección del documental sobre el Rey Pablo de Grecia - Bekia

Nice that so many members of the extended Greek RF attended.

I spotted the Margrave and Margravine of Baden, CP Alexander and CPss Katherine of Serbia, Prince Michel and his wife Marina as well. Is Pss Margarita of Roumania expected too? A pity that the king of Spain couldn't make it to his father-in-laws memorial. Did princess Alexia's husband attend the event?

Royal watchers must be having a field day with this Royal gathering in Athens.Yes indeed its a pity that King Juan Carlos didn't make it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that it was possible for Cristina and Felipe to stand further away from each other. I know that her husband is a criminal, but looking at these pictures makes me feel slightly sorry for Cristina, she seems rather lonely and people seem to evade her like the plague.

Last edited:
I don't think that it was possible for Cristina and Felipe to stand further away from each other. I know that her husband is a criminal, but looking at these pictures makes me feel slightly sorry for Cristina, she seems rather lonely and people seem to evade her like the plague.

Yes I noticed that,Infanta Cristina is away from the entire Spanish Royal Family in the group photo outside the church and standing the opposite side with the Greeks.

Your comment is quite rude.:mad:

Thanks to the presence of the Spanish royal family, and many Spanish press agencies that follow them, we will have pictures of all the royals who go to these events.

No, it was not - and it was not intended to be an insult against the spanish royals! I was just surprised that only pictures from Queen Sofia and Cristina (with the exception of Prcss Irene) were covered, as this is the Greek´s thread (yes, I know Queen Sofia is just as King Paul´s daughter as King Constantine is his son) and this was about a documentary about a GREEK king in the GREEK capital.
I guess the media sets its priorities on reigning royal houses although they should differ at this particular occasion in my opinion. But the photos we saw at a later stage in this thread are quite sufficient by number and so everyone should be satisfied...
So, no need for you to feel annoyed - so your comment and your "anger-smiley" is quite misplaced here!

I don't think its on purpose. Queen Sofia would never sideline her daughter like this. Its rather that Cristina has always been close to her greek cousin, therefore it makes sense that she is standing nearby.

Cristina and the Asturias made it on the same pictures:
Tribute 50th anniversary of the death of King Pavlos of Greece (Paul) | jose p. gegundez | photographer
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BiCdgXxIQAASin7.jpg
http://www.hola.com/imagenes/realez...funeral-rey-pablo/0-263-585/cementerio4-a.jpg

and guess what, they even shared (had to?) a car:
http://i.imgur.com/OQv8wr5.jpg
http://img2.europapress.net/fotoweb/fotogaleriafamosos_77591_980x805.jpg
doing what they can do so well: keep smiling :p;)

Last edited:
Thanks, it seems that king Constantine became emotional. I also noticed King Simeon II in one of the pictures.

Duke of Marmalade said:
I don't think its on purpose. Queen Sofia would never sideline her daughter like this. Its rather that Cristina has always been close to her greek cousin, therefore it makes sense that she is standing nearby.

Cristina and the Asturias made it on the same pictures:

It seems you are correct. Anway, we know what picture will be on the cover of the magazines next week.

Thanks, it seems that king Constantine became emotional. I also noticed King Simeon II in one of the pictures.

Yes I noticed that but was also struck at how frail the king has become.

I dont want to rain on anyone's parade, but I just dont get this. Why hold a "memorial" service for someone who died 50 years ago?

Or is it a covert golden jubilee service?

I think there are other rules for royals than for the rest of us. I remember Elizabeth II also laying a wreath at the Queen Victoria and Pr Albert memorial at Frogmore to mark the 100th deathday of her ancestor in 2001 (though without a religious service i think).
But remember the belgian royal family holding a Te Deum each year for the gone members of the family - and many of them longer dead than 50 years...!:whistling:
But a gathering for the premiere of the King-Paul-documentary does make sense.

Last edited:

In the Video one can also see Tatiana Fruchard, née Princess Radziwill and Archduchess Helen of Austria, née Countess zu Toerring-Jettenbach

I dont want to rain on anyone's parade, but I just dont get this. Why hold a "memorial" service for someone who died 50 years ago?

Or is it a covert golden jubilee service?

Memorial services are very common in the Greek Orthodox Church -and mean it ;) There are those "compulsory" who happen the 3rd, 6th and 40th day of someone's passing then one after 3 months, another after 6 months, another after a year and another after 3 years are completed. And from that point on the deceased's children can hold a memorial service each year but most people choose don't have to mark the exact day because there are special days when we can commemorate the deads and it's easier that way. For older people like my grandma it's very important and she notes prayers not just for her parents, but for every single dead relative in living memory.

Thank you Snowflower for sharing the Greek traditions with us.

Memorial services are very common in the Greek Orthodox Church -and mean it ;) There are those "compulsory" who happen the 3rd, 6th and 40th day of someone's passing then one after 3 months, another after 6 months, another after a year and another after 3 years are completed. And from that point on the deceased's children can hold a memorial service each year but most people choose don't have to mark the exact day because there are special days when we can commemorate the deads and it's easier that way. For older people like my grandma it's very important and she notes prayers not just for her parents, but for every single dead relative in living memory.

Memorial services are also very common in the roman catholic church.

There are a couple of lovely informal pictures of the family get together on Instagram but unfortunately I'm not sure how to post them.

I loved to see the whole family together both Greeks and Spanish.King Constantine seemed very moved.

Thanks for the photos, everyone. I always enjoy seeing photographs of the Royal Families together. I wonder why Juan Carlos couldn't make it? Perhaps his health problems prevented him from attending. I find it interesting that The Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Serbia and also The Margrave and Margravine of Baden were there, I wonder if they're related to King Paul in anyway, or whether their families were just friends with him. Marie Chantal posted an adorable photo on Instagram of one of her sons eating a chocolate souvenir from a museum they visited, but unfortunately I can't post the photos here as Instagram doesn't work on my PC.

Crown prince Alexander is the grandson of King Alexander , the brother of King Paul. The margrave if Baden is 2nd cousin I think? Did king michael not make it?

Last edited:
King Michael is too old and frail to attend international events. He was anyhow very close to his uncle King Pavlos.

Sent from my GT-S6312 using The Royals Community mobile app

I thought he was. The pics if the king CII and queen Sophie were very touching (where they lost composure or were very moved). The King should have been given back his home so he could visit his parents whenever he wanted. a shame.

Last edited:
Thanks it's so nice to see the wider family together and having fun.

MC and Pavlos and their children also form a beautiful family and they all seem very close, very bonded.

Also as principessa pointed out memorials for the deceased are very common in the Roman Catholic Church as well as the Greek Orthodox. In fact, official Catholic teaching is that praying for the repose of the souls of the dead is a duty, an act of Christian charity, since death does not break our bond with those who have gone before us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom