The Revolution

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont remember any mention of desecrating Marie Antoinettes body, she was just unceremoniously dumped at the graveyard with other bodiesto be buried and a young Mme Tussaud appeared to take her death mask .

Another interesting fact:

Both Louis and Nicholas II had wives that were of German origin and were profoundly hated to the point of being made a scapegoat.

Thats true I would add easy scapegoats, I don't recall reading if Alexandra had any hate directed towards her specifically being German at least not until the war, and by that time too many people hated her for other reasons that her heritage was just lumped on top. Marie, poor thing, had the unfortunate fate of being the symbol of an alliance with an old enemy.
Man I would love to read up on some of the historical bigotry German royals had to live with while Marrying into the families of EU.

I also don't recall desecration of Marie's body, anyone have any further info.

It is surprising to me that in all that chaos with mobs roaming the streets and the breakdown in law and order, that the Parisian mob did nt decide to go to Versailles and do a bit of looting.

The Royal Family left for Paris in the autumn of 1789 so that vast palace complex... full of paintings, gold clocks... all manner of valuable items was wide open for the taking .... only 20 or so miles from Paris .
Did the sans cullots miss a trick ?

It is surprising to me that in all that chaos with mobs roaming the streets and the breakdown in law and order, that the Parisian mob did nt decide to go to Versailles and do a bit of looting.

The Royal Family left for Paris in the autumn of 1789 so that vast palace complex... full of paintings, gold clocks... all manner of valuable items was wide open for the taking .... only 20 or so miles from Paris .
Did the sans cullots miss a trick ?

Surprisingly there was very little looting most of the contents were sold off at various auctions following October 1789.

I dare say a fair no of items from those sales ended up
in the stately homes of England !

Charles François ,Marquis de Sombreuil and his daughter being led from proson to the guillotine in June 1794.

465px-An_Incident_in_the_French_Revolution_%28Walter_William_Ouless%29.jpg

The burning of Monarchist symbols and banner at the Place de Concorde in 1793.

Insegne_della_Monarchia_francese%2C_bruciate_in_piazza_a_Parigi_%2810-8-1793%29._Dip._di_P.A._Demachy._Part.jpg

The murdering of Abbé Lenfant (Court Chaplain) and other priests at the start of the September Massacres of 1792.
862px-Assassinat_de_l%27abb%C3%A9_Lenfant_%C3%A0_l%27Abbaye_de_Saint-Germain-des-Pr%C3%A9s%2C_le_3_septembre_1792%2C_rue_Sainte-Marguerite%2C_actuels_1%2C_G.28582%282%29.jpg

Back
Top Bottom