The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
Heres a pic of Marie Antoinette in St Denis... her statue that is..
though I doubt she would have worn a dress so revealing in real life !
Celebheaven • View topic - Marie Antoinette

That's from her Tomb Effigfy which was erected during the Bourbon Restoration.

I agree the dress is very revealing but possibly an Empire style & not one from M.A. era.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

October 1793 -Desecration of the Royal Burials at the Basilica of St.Denis outside Paris.

Mobs of revolutionaries plundered and sacked the Basilica church.Many tombs were smashed and the royal vaults were broken open where the coffins of the kings,queen,dauphins,princes and princesses lay.The coffins were then opened and the royal remains were then unceremoniously dumped into common pits outside the basilica church.Many of the royal bodies were put on display before being thrown into the mass grave,some had parts removed by ghoulish souvenir hunters. (head of Henri IV,thigh bone of Catherine de Medici,beard of Louis XIII)

Dates of the desecration

August 1793- Philip the Bold,Isabelle d'Aragon,Pepin,Constance of Castile and Louis VI.

October 13th- Henri IV
October 14th- Louis XIII,Louis XIV,Anne of Austria,Maria de Medici,Maria Theresa of Spain,Gaston Duke of Orléans.
October 16th- Henrietta Maria,(wife of Charles I),Philippe duke d'Orléans,Louis XV,Charles V and Jeanne de Bourbon.
October 17th - Charles VI,Isabeau of Bavaria,Charles VIII,Marie d'Anjou,Marguerite de Valois,Francis II,Charles VIII.
October 18th - Henri II,Catherine de Medici,Charles IX,Henri III,Louis XII,Anne of Brittany,Jeanne II of Navarre,Louis X,Jean I,Hugh the Great,Charles II.
October 19th - Philip IV,Dagobert,queen Nantilde
October 20th- Francis I,Claude de France,Louise de Savoie,Louise de France,Charlotte de France,Charles Duke of Orléans and the Dauphin Francis.
October 21st - Philip V,Philip VI.
October 24th- Charles IV
October 25th - Jean II and Louise daughter of Louis XV.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabot4me View Post
It has fasinated me how the Queen of England is still beloved by the people of her country. I was struck in surprize when Queen Elizabeth came to the state of Virgina, USA and she recieved a royal greeting from the citizens here in the USA. She had traveled to see Williamsburg Va. For the 300 year celabration. It really was something to see, the Queen of England on soil that rebelled against the home land just over 200 years ago. Not just here in the USA but also adored by many of the people. I guess this speaks volumes of the person the Queen is and the hope for the French monarchy.
Yes, I was recently in Williamsburg, and QEII's visit is mentioned on many parts of the Williamsburg experience.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

She is a nice, unoffensive lady. She has never had any political influence anywhere in this nation. No one cares about her, except we like the pomp and circumstance that they pay big bucks for, to entertain us. What she has to do with the French Monarchy, I have no idea. The French became a republic and all the problems caused by their monarchy is long past.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:52 PM
Aristocracy

That desecration of St Denis is an awful consequence of the
revolution, goullish too.
I think that graves were being desecrated all over France, for eg the tomb of Diana de Poitiers was looted and destroyed, it was as if the French mob were intent on destroying their own history.
Its a wonder that Versailles was nt set on fire, instead it survived...
(unlike the Tuilleries) ... and is now one of the top tourists honey pots in all
of Europe !
Old 01-27-2013, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Most tombs both Royal and from the nobility were looted and destroyed,many of them were splendid examples of medieval and renaissance Funerary art/sculpture.

Though thankfully many of them survived thanks to French archaeologist,Alexandre Lenoir who salvaged and saved many from total destruction.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:34 PM
Aristocracy

Imagine if St Denis was in pristine condition , untouched and undisturbed ..... as it was prior to the revolution, that would be quite something !
Old 09-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The unfortunate Princess Marie Louise of Savoy better known as the Princess of Lamballe met her brutal end on September 3rd,1792.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm looking more into the French Revolution and it had some similarities with the Russian Revolution. Both had weak rulers with unpopular wives who had trouble producing an heir. Both Nicholas and Louis have been described as good men but horrible rulers. Their lack of understanding and distance from the masses caused them to not accept change and lead to their destruction and the destruction of their families; at least Louis' daughter made it out alive.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-03-2014, 01:45 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I'm looking more into the French Revolution and it had some similarities with the Russian Revolution. Both had weak rulers with unpopular wives who had trouble producing an heir. Both Nicholas and Louis have been described as good men but horrible rulers. Their lack of understanding and distance from the masses caused them to not accept change and lead to their destruction and the destruction of their families; at least Louis' daughter made it out alive.
perhaps it was the same secret forces ( masonry ? ) that were behind both of these revolutions .

A Royal ... female... hate figure is common to both .
Old 08-12-2014, 04:34 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabot4me View Post
I was struck in surprize when Queen Elizabeth came to the state of Virgina, USA and she recieved a royal greeting from the citizens here in the USA. She had traveled to see Williamsburg Va. For the 300 year celabration. It really was something to see, the Queen of England on soil that rebelled against the home land just over 200 years ago.
some years ago there was a royal visit to
Germany... which, considering recent history... is even more remarkable !
Old 08-12-2014, 04:37 PM
Commoner

Thinking about it, you d think that the mob would have
looted the Palace of Versailles... when they had the upper hand ...

maybe they did, but Ive never read anything about it .
Old 08-12-2014, 04:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Another interesting fact:

Both Louis and Nicholas II had wives that were of German origin and were profoundly hated to the point of being made a scapegoat.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:52 PM
Nobility

Starofwonder - Versailles escaped looting, as the Parisian mob brought the Royal Family back to Paris with them 'under their protection' ..[ i.e imprisoned them..]
As a result the focus of hatred moved from Versailles to the Tuileries [the residence of the Royal Family in Paris] which was indeed attacked and looted on the 10th August 1792, just days before the Monarchy was abolished and France became a Republic.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AristoCat View Post

Both Louis and Nicholas II had wives that were of German origin and were profoundly hated to the point of being made a scapegoat.
Yes, that is true. And the bodies of both families were desecrated after they were murdered, yet had monuments or churches consecrated to their memory years later.

So many similarities.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:39 PM
Commoner

I dont remember any mention of desecrating Marie Antoinettes body, she was just unceremoniously dumped at the graveyard with other bodiesto be buried and a young Mme Tussaud appeared to take her death mask .
Old 08-12-2014, 05:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AristoCat View Post

Thats true I would add easy scapegoats, I don't recall reading if Alexandra had any hate directed towards her specifically being German at least not until the war, and by that time too many people hated her for other reasons that her heritage was just lumped on top. Marie, poor thing, had the unfortunate fate of being the symbol of an alliance with an old enemy.
Man I would love to read up on some of the historical bigotry German royals had to live with while Marrying into the families of EU.

I also don't recall desecration of Marie's body, anyone have any further info.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 08-17-2014, 06:07 PM
Commoner

It is surprising to me that in all that chaos with mobs roaming the streets and the breakdown in law and order, that the Parisian mob did nt decide to go to Versailles and do a bit of looting.

The Royal Family left for Paris in the autumn of 1789 so that vast palace complex... full of paintings, gold clocks... all manner of valuable items was wide open for the taking .... only 20 or so miles from Paris .
Did the sans cullots miss a trick ?
Old 09-03-2014, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The unfortunate and tragic Princess of Lamballe met her grisly end the 3rd of September 1792.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by starofwonder View Post
It is surprising to me that in all that chaos with mobs roaming the streets and the breakdown in law and order, that the Parisian mob did nt decide to go to Versailles and do a bit of looting.

The Royal Family left for Paris in the autumn of 1789 so that vast palace complex... full of paintings, gold clocks... all manner of valuable items was wide open for the taking .... only 20 or so miles from Paris .
Did the sans cullots miss a trick ?
Surprisingly there was very little looting most of the contents were sold off at various auctions following October 1789.