The Princely and Ducal House of Rohan

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
The Princely and Ducal House de Rohan

Armoiries_Rohan2.jpg

Arms of the House of Rohan

Rohan-ChabotDukeofRohan.jpg

Arms of the Dukes of Rohan (Rohan-Chabot)

~ ¤ ~

The House of Rohan

The earliest proven ancestor is Guethenoc, Viscount of Porhoët in Brittany, who built a fortification in 1008.
Viscount Henri II of the Rohan-Gié branch became the first Duke of Rohan in 1603. On his death in 1638 this branch became extinct in the male line
and Henri was succeeded by his daughter Marguerite.
In 1645 she married Henri Chabot and founded the line of Rohan-Cabot.

At Duke Henri's death the younger branch of the Rohan family, already Dukes of Montbazon, became the elder branch.
The Head of the Family was also Prince of Guéméné whereas the younger members were Princes of Soubise.
Both Louis XIV and Louis XV recognised the Head of the Family as Prince of Rohan, Prince Etranger habitué en France (a "foreign Prince living in France").
As the hereditary holders of the Archbishopric of Strasbourg they were Princes of the Holy [Roman] Empire.

The elder branch of Montbazon-
Guéméné was involved in some financial scandals in the late 1700s and emigrated to Austria, settling in Bohemia,
where the last male of the line died in 1846; the younger branch of Rochefort succeeded them.

The nobility titles of the Head of the House

Prince de Rohan (France)
Prince de Rohan,
Guéméné et Rochefort (Austria)
Duc de Montbazon, Prince de
Guéméné (France)
Duc de Bouillon (claimed in 1802 on the death of the last Duke who died without issue)

The current and 14th Duke of Rohan is Josselin de Rohan (-Chabot), born in 1938, who succeeded his father in 1966.
He is a member of the French Senate.

  

v Josselin Castle (Chateau de Josselin, Kastell Josilin), Brittany, seat of the Dukes of Rohan to the present day.
Photograph 2007, free of copyright courtesy of Wikipedia and attribution to CJ DUB

Attachments

• Rohan Dukes, Josselin Castle, Brittany.jpg
    Rohan Dukes, Josselin Castle, Brittany.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 3,083
Last edited by a moderator:
From wikipedia:

The house of Rohan was a family of viscounts, later dukes and princes, coming from the locality of Rohan in Brittany, descending from the viscounts of Porhoët and said to trace back to the legendary Conan Meriadoc. Through the Porhoët, the Rohan were related to the Dukes of Brittany, with whom the family intermingled again in after its inception. They developed ties with the French and English royal houses as well, and played an important role in French and European history.

Alain I de Rohan, son of the viscount of Porhoët, was the first to take on the name of Rohan, after the place were he was born.
The main branch of the family ended when Jean II died childless; the title and possessions passed on to the cadet branch of Rohan-Gié.
When the first duke of Rohan, Henri II de Rohan-Gié, died, his title and name passed on to the Chabot family as his only daughter married Henri Chabot. This created the Rohan-Chabot lineage, which was not really a branch of the Rohan family.
During the 17th and 18th centuries the Rohan also bore the title Prince Étranger habitué en France.
  • Rohan-Gié, extinct 1638
  • Rohan-Soubise, extinct 1787

Read more here.

From www.monarchen.nl:

Fürst Karl de Rohan on 28th october, aged 74. Some of his titles: Fürst of Rohan, 14th Duke of Montbazon and of Bouillon, prince of Guéméné, of Rochefort and of Montaubon.

The Fürst will be succeeded by his brother Albert Maria (1936 -) since he has no sons. He does have a daughter from his first marriage to Ingeborg Irnberger, called Charlotte. The Fürst divorced in 1975 and remarried in 1988 to Elisabeth Dirnenberger.

article in Dutch here.

The castle of the family is Josselin, in Brittany.
The 14th duke of Rohan is Josselin de Rohan-Chabot, count of Porhoët and Lorges, marquis of Blain and La Garnache, baron of Mouchamps and lord of Héric and Fresnay. He is a french politician.

More in french here : http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maison_de_Rohan

Two different branches of this one house and both died out which is sad.There is another branch but little or no connection to the two previous branches I am going to see if I can find some type of research on this house.Thanks for the information.

You can see the family genealogy at Paul Theroff's Online Gotha:

Rohan Family

It seems there are still some members left after the Duke died.

-
The family Rohan-Chabot is indeed slightly related to the Rohan family, from the online Gotha again:

The members of this family bear the surname "de Rohan-Chabot". This family is not part of the ancient House of Rohan, but received the title Duc de Rohan when Henri Chabot (1616-1655) was cr Duc de Rohan after his marriage to Marguerite de Rohan, Dss de Rohan.

Rohan-Chabot genealogy.

As a sidenote, the present Duchess of Angouleme is born as a Rohan-Chabot.

Thanks for the links on this noble family I thought most of the family if not all the family died out.

SAS Charles Alain de Rohan, prince of Rohan, 14th duke of Montbazon, duke of Bouillon, prince of Guéméné, of Rochefort and of Montauban, is the descendant of the Cardinal of Rohan who was at the origin of the "Affair of the Diamond Necklace" with Queen Marie-Antoinette in 1785.
He is the elder of the austrian branch of the Rohan.

The cardinal de Rohan had legal descendants???

Yes, by his nephew Charles-Alain, prince of Rohan and duke of Bouillon, who emigrated in Austria at the time of the Revolution.

Any information about pss Charlotte? and about other members of the family nowadays?
Has the family had back possessions confiscated in cech rep? e.g castle Sychrov/Sichrow..
anyone knows what happened to pss Aliette, murdered in Paris in 1968?

A lot of work and coordination to bring them together!
Will they soon have another family-reunion? They gained some experience now.

Alive and kicking

Since some of you are interested, I am happy to say that the Rohan family is still very much alive and well.
My name is Nikolas de Rohan (Guéméné-Rochefort), I am 46 and, although I grew up in UK, I now live in Switzerland.
In brief, in 1896 my grandfather (Charles) was born, purely by chance, in the UK. But he and his family actually lived in Bohemia (Czech Republic), where they had been since the French Revolution. In 1939 he was ordered to become a German citizen, but he refused. As a result he was imprisoned for most of WW2, spending much of the time in concentration camps witnessing the true horrors of war. His memoirs make compelling reading In 1946, on the back of the Red Army's communist occupation, he escaped with his wife and three sons to the UK, leaving most of their belongings to the Russians. My dad (Raoul) was 14 at the time. He and my mother still live in Dorset. My siblings live in Bristol, London and Sydney.
I have some 12 'Rohan' cousins living in UK and others in Austria.
Of course, we are very proud of our family heritage. It certainly has plenty of colour. We all went to the 1000th family birthday party in Josselin a few years ago, which was great. I am honoured that you are interested too.

Last edited:
Marguerite Gräfin Kottulinsky, née Princess von Rohan, died at Attersee on 19 September.

She was born at Sichrow on 21 July 1923, daughter of Alain Fürst von Rohan and his wife, Princess Margarethe von Schönburg-Hartenstein. In 1945 she married Kunata Graf Kottulinsky (1914-2004) and is survived by their two daughters and their families.

Source: www.angelfire.com/realm/gotha/news/2012_3.htm

Does anyone have any info on Rohan families in Czech Republic/Bohemia?

Different version is told at Sichrov Castle guided tour

Since some of you are interested, I am happy to say that the Rohan family is still very much alive and well.
My name is Nikolas de Rohan (Guéméné-Rochefort), I am 46 and, although I grew up in UK, I now live in Switzerland.
In brief, in 1896 my grandfather (Charles) was born, purely by chance, in the UK. But he and his family actually lived in Bohemia (Czech Republic), where they had been since the French Revolution. In 1939 he was ordered to become a German citizen, but he refused. As a result he was imprisoned for most of WW2, spending much of the time in concentration camps witnessing the true horrors of war. His memoirs make compelling reading In 1946, on the back of the Red Army's communist occupation, he escaped with his wife and three sons to the UK, leaving most of their belongings to the Russians. My dad (Raoul) was 14 at the time. He and my mother still live in Dorset. My siblings live in Bristol, London and Sydney.
I have some 12 'Rohan' cousins living in UK and others in Austria.
Of course, we are very proud of our family heritage. It certainly has plenty of colour. We all went to the 1000th family birthday party in Josselin a few years ago, which was great. I am honoured that you are interested too.

Dear Mr. De Rohan,
I visited today during our holiday your castle in Sychrov. I felt overwhelmed about the beauty of the site itself as well as about the fact, that in the English pamphlet there is only mentioned, that your family had to leave everything behind at 1945 because they took the German citizenship during German occupation before. While looking at the books in the castle's library I saw a book from the author Friedrich Wilhelm Förster "Europa und die deutsche Frage". This book was published 1937 as well as the author himself were on the black list of the Nazis. So I started wondering why de Rohans would take the German Citizenship. My google research brought me to your blog entry and that's the reason why I signed up in order to share my experience of visiting Sychrov Castle today with you and everybody else who might be interested in your family's history.
Kind regards,

Back
Top Bottom