The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #121  
Old 09-16-2016, 09:05 AM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An IarmhÝ, Ireland
Posts: 20,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
The National Gallery of Australia will be displaying more than one hundred and thirty objects from Versailles over the coming summer.

This is the first time many of the items have left France - and range from Marie-Antionette's harp to the huge main figure from the Latone fountain in front of the palace.

(The original is coming to Oz - a copy is staying in France.)

From December till April in Canberra - tickets are already on sale of course.
Here's a link to the Exhibition - Treasures from the Palace

Versailles: Treasures from the Palace.
__________________

__________________
10th of July 1559-Death of Henri II ,King of France.
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 11-06-2016, 05:13 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An IarmhÝ, Ireland
Posts: 20,419
Versailles, the temple of gilding!

Versailles, the temple of gilding - France 24
__________________

__________________
10th of July 1559-Death of Henri II ,King of France.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 08-25-2017, 04:38 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An IarmhÝ, Ireland
Posts: 20,419
Take a Tour Inside the Restricted Passages of Versailles

Versailles: Tour Its Secret Passages | Travel + Leisure
__________________
10th of July 1559-Death of Henri II ,King of France.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 08-25-2017, 04:47 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 7,940
Fascinating..."Anti-Mistress Gate"??!!

Thanks An Ard Ri. I love reading about Versailles and it's history!
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 08-25-2017, 05:15 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An IarmhÝ, Ireland
Posts: 20,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Fascinating..."Anti-Mistress Gate"??!!

Thanks An Ard Ri. I love reading about Versailles and it's history!

Yes we learn something knew and wonderful every day,where can one get an "Anti-Mistress Gate"

http://cdn-image.travelandleisure.co...?itok=CSy9Z8B5
__________________
10th of July 1559-Death of Henri II ,King of France.
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 08-29-2017, 11:44 AM
Duchessmary's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Diego, United States
Posts: 1,321
I, personally, would like an "anti jerk" gate.
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 11-11-2017, 09:16 AM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An IarmhÝ, Ireland
Posts: 20,419
Versailles, from one Century to the Next,very interesting.

https://news.cnrs.fr/articles/versai...ry-to-the-next
__________________
10th of July 1559-Death of Henri II ,King of France.
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 04-03-2018, 04:57 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 3,927
An inside view of the Grand Trianon of Versailles
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/532435512
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 04-03-2018, 05:15 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Burke, United States
Posts: 397
Why is the Palace of Versailles more beautiful than Buckingham Palace?
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 04-03-2018, 06:29 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 8,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
Why is the Palace of Versailles more beautiful than Buckingham Palace?
One consistent style. The symbiosis between palace and gardens.

Buckingham Palace has been raped by that awful 20th C fašade, which covers an earlier fašade enclosing the original open courtyard of the palace. The original building (now known as the back side) has a completely different style.

The interiors also are not consistent and sadly too Edelkitsch (George V's horrible frou-frou style).

Kensington Palace and Hampton Court are, style wise, so much more impressive and beautiful. Like Versailles they have more consistency despite parts from different periods. It simply has more harmony and a more esthetic feel.
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 04-03-2018, 08:40 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Burke, United States
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
One consistent style. The symbiosis between palace and gardens.

Buckingham Palace has been raped by that awful 20th C fašade, which covers an earlier fašade enclosing the original open courtyard of the palace. The original building (now known as the back side) has a completely different style.

The interiors also are not consistent and sadly too Edelkitsch (George V's horrible frou-frou style).

Kensington Palace and Hampton Court are, style wise, so much more impressive and beautiful. Like Versailles they have more consistency despite parts from different periods. It simply has more harmony and a more esthetic feel.
Well the French are known for their aesthetic style and beauty when it comes to art and architecture. Just that when I compare the two palaces, Buckingham Palace seems so dull. A bit sad looking.
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 04-03-2018, 09:22 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
One consistent style. The symbiosis between palace and gardens.

Buckingham Palace has been raped by that awful 20th C fašade, which covers an earlier fašade enclosing the original open courtyard of the palace. The original building (now known as the back side) has a completely different style.

The interiors also are not consistent and sadly too Edelkitsch (George V's horrible frou-frou style).

Kensington Palace and Hampton Court are, style wise, so much more impressive and beautiful. Like Versailles they have more consistency despite parts from different periods. It simply has more harmony and a more esthetic feel.
Why is Versailles more beautiful? A question of taste, the influence of history and the availability of money. Louis XIV conceived Versailles to showcase his position at the centre of the universe and to outshine all his courtiers who might have ambitions to his throne. In order to achieve this, he had access to the tastemakers of Europe, who were of course French. In order to pay for the construction at Versailles, he practically bankrupted the French state and set the stage for the revolution that ended the reign of the kings of France. The construction of Buckingham Palace had a different agenda which is quite evident in the building's interior; it was also meant as a 'Treasure House', with a jaw dropping art collection that in no way was meant to overpower the collections of other British nobles but rather to showcase the erudition of the collector. The interior is still intact as it has not (yet) been looted by the British hordes; the interior of Versailles may be seen at the Wallace Collection in London.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 04-03-2018, 09:58 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Burke, United States
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry View Post
Why is Versailles more beautiful? A question of taste, the influence of history and the availability of money. Louis XIV conceived Versailles to showcase his position at the centre of the universe and to outshine all his courtiers who might have ambitions to his throne. In order to achieve this, he had access to the tastemakers of Europe, who were of course French. In order to pay for the construction at Versailles, he practically bankrupted the French state and set the stage for the revolution that ended the reign of the kings of France. The construction of Buckingham Palace had a different agenda which is quite evident in the building's interior; it was also meant as a 'Treasure House', with a jaw dropping art collection that in no way was meant to overpower the collections of other British nobles but rather to showcase the erudition of the collector. The interior is still intact as it has not (yet) been looted by the British hordes; the interior of Versailles may be seen at the Wallace Collection in London.
I agree that the British monarchy has the best collection which may compete with Lourve but the palace of Versailles is so beautiful and captures the essence of French monarchy.
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 04-03-2018, 11:02 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 8,914
Versailles was a master piece of baroque architects. While there were four major architects who worked on the building (six if you include the one who designed the gardens and the one who did many of the many murals), they were partners and one a student. They had worked together on projects prior, their styles reflected that. Versailles reflects the baroque style, a style not seen in architecture since the renaissance, a response to the reformation architecture and its starkness. The exploration of light, shade, movement and design which would later lead to the Rococo style of France (later baroque).

Versailles wasn't meant to simply display art. It wasn't an art gallery with art on the walls. The building itself was meant to be art. The walls, the floors, the furniture, it all was to display the wealth and grandeur of the French court.

Buckingham was a mix of different architects, all with their own view of the neo-classical style. Neo-classical architecture was a counter response to the opulence of the baroque period. It went back to the classical architecture, the focus on structure, symmetry and lines. When done right, like Syon house, its incredibly beautiful. But on purpose, it is meant to be much more simple, it focuses on form, not on design. Buckingham palace is a great display for art, because the architecture itself is not over the top, its simple and structural. Where Versailles is art itself, Buckingham is made to display the art.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 04-04-2018, 05:00 AM
Nico's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
I agree that the British monarchy has the best collection which may compete with Lourve but the palace of Versailles is so beautiful and captures the essence of French monarchy.
Many many objects from the British royal collections come precisely from the former French royal collections (and from Versailles in particular).
And to compete with the Louvre ? Not a single chance ...
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 04-04-2018, 07:58 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Burke, United States
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Many many objects from the British royal collections come precisely from the former French royal collections (and from Versailles in particular).
And to compete with the Louvre ? Not a single chance ...
Thank you very much. Palace of Versailles is a wonderful palace. Very beautiful.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 04-04-2018, 08:51 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 3,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Many many objects from the British royal collections come precisely from the former French royal collections (and from Versailles in particular).
And to compete with the Louvre ? Not a single chance ...
How did the Brits get hold of those objects from the French collections ?
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 04-04-2018, 09:48 AM
JR76's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malm÷, Sweden
Posts: 1,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
How did the Brits get hold of those objects from the French collections ?
The contents of the palace were sold during the revolution.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 04-04-2018, 10:33 AM
Nico's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
The contents of the palace were sold during the revolution.
Indeed ! George IV did some retail therapy in Paris in the 1800's.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 04-04-2018, 10:42 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: pinner, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,532
My MAJOR problem with Versailles [which I have loved since childhood] is its hideous Entrance Facade, [cramped and composed of far too many disparate materials]. It was fine when the building was a small Hunting Lodge, but is simply inadequate for so magnificent a Palace. It is in NO WAY answerable to either the majesty of the Garden Facade,the gardens themselves or the astonishing interior.
Louis XIV should certainly have taken the advice of his architects, and demolished Louis XIII little house, and started anew, but was [uncharacteristically] clouded by sentiment, and so made an aesthetic error..

As for Buckingham Palace is is a real pity that Parliament was only[finally] persuaded to house our Monarchs properly at a time when English Architecture was well 'past its best'. Had the mid-18th century plan for a Palladian Palace [in what is now Hyde Park] come to fruition we may well have had a rival to Versailles.
As it is John Nash was a very fine 'town planner', but an indifferent architect. As a result BP is a rather crude exercise in bland 'neo-classicism', that satisfied NO-ONE, not at the time or EVER since...
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
france, louis xvi


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Royal and Noble Castles and Palaces Freedom Royalty Past, Present, and Future 138 03-30-2014 06:01 PM
The Royal Palace and Castles hrhcp Norwegian Royal Residences 24 01-15-2013 12:59 PM
"The Palace" fictional TV series, 2008 Beck The Electronic Domain 19 01-17-2008 09:47 PM
Hampton Court Palace Nicki8100 Member Introductions 3 06-29-2007 10:38 AM




Popular Tags
antony armstrong-jones british royal family camilla carl gustaf charles chris o'neill crown princess elisabeth crown princess victoria current events current events thread dailyfail duchess of cambridge cocktail dresses duchess of cambridge eveningwear duchessofsussex dutch royal family family fashion general news helena hereditary grand duchess stÚphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume hereditary princess sophie infanta cristina infanta leonor infanta sofia i˝aki urdangarÝn king felipe king felipe vi king philippe king willem-alexander letizia meghan markle miguel urdangarin news opening of parliament porphyria prince alexander prince charles prince daniel prince gabriel prince guillaume prince harry prince harry of wales prince louis prince nicholas prince oscar princess estelle princess leonore princess madeleine princess of asturias princess of belgium princess victoria queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima royal royal ancestry royal geneology royal wedding smith spanish royal family events state visit stephanie sweden swedish royal family theatre van belgiŰ victoria wedding wedding of prince harry



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:45 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018
Jelsoft Enterprises