The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > Royal Families of France

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-13-2009, 03:33 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Well, although one never knows what happens in families, I find it rather odd that the prince goes public with all this and that he breaks of all contact with his father because he married religiously a lady with whom he has been for 25 years, AND after the vatican annulled his first wedding. So I am not applauding the prince at all, quite the contrairy. Though again, we don't know what exactly happened between father and son during the last years/decades.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for providing additional clarifications!
Well, you are right to note that Prince Jean's actions are odd. I am sure that the rift is extremely deep. Prince Jean feels offended because his mother's feelings were dragged through the mud. The religious ceremony is an extra reminder of his mother's public humiliation ... in my personal opinion.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:52 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

I'm also perplexed at Prince Jean's opinions now. As pointed out, his father's second marriage has been going on for 25 yr. and the first was annulled. The religious marriage was announced prior to Prince Jean's religious marriage and by the pictures, all was well with father and son. Why the sudden pronouncement against his father now? I can only offer the explanation that during the summer between religious marriages of son and father, there must have been a falling out between them over what, we won't know, because it's family business. Perhaps Prince Jean's mother is very ill or dying and it's opened all the wounds and bitterness of the past. Just my guess.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

What hurts me is the immediate public reply by press of the Count de Paris.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Heir Apparent

What was Count's of Paris reply to his son? I wonder why Count of Paris opted to continue the public feud. It does not matter what he says or does now, Duchess of Montpensier
was wronged by his actions. At the same time, I would say that Prince Jean should just ignore his father, if they can not maintain civil relationships.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Count of Paris has in the past, published letters that were addressed to his father when the late Conte de Paris, bypassed him and made the now Duc de Vendome his heir.
It is sad when the family feuds between family members become public knowledge.
BTW I just received the Point de Vue about the wedding of C & Css de Paris and I was moved by the obvious love he has for her. The family always fascinated and frustrated me at the same time and the current issues are no exception.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Pics 14.10.2009

Prince Jean d'Orleans, Duke of Vendome poses with his new book
''Un Prince Francais" (A French prince) published by Pygmalion,
Paris, France, October 14, 2009
The work suggests that the 1789 revolution was a mistake, that
the French Republic is inherently unstable and that France should
renew ties with ancestral tradition.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
Old 10-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am sure a lot of French will take his findings badly.
220 years later and with a country like France today, it may seem like a self serving book to ingite some support for the restoration of the Orleans family.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:18 PM
Heir Apparent

I have to agree with you.While one might understand Prince Jean's intentions to highlight the importance of French royalty as a uniting power, his views on the subject are very biased. Furthermore, it is worth noting that France came full circle of political regimes: absolute monarchy -revolution/republic -Napoleon I's empire -restoration (i.e., the July Monarchy) -revolution/republic. This means that most Frenchmen preferred to live in a republic.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:29 PM
Nobility

I agree with both Odette and Al bina. As others in this thread (Marengo, MAfan) have also pointed out, Prince Jean's actions are very inconsistent. The most recent example is that Jean believes the revolution was a mistake, he wishes to restore the old order, and yet he married someone who (though blameless and by all accounts a lovely and discreet person) would have been deemed entirely unacceptable only 40-50 years ago. It is very convenient to choose those aspects of history that suit you, while disregarding those that don't.

As for the inconsistent actions regarding his father -- notably, that Henri and Micaela were invited to Jean's wedding this past May, and yet Jean is now acting with such venom towards his father because he married Micaela in accordance with the rites of the Roman Catholic church -- perhaps I can understand it in the context of his mother's illness. The Duchess of Montpensier became gravely ill on the eve of Jean's wedding, and I wonder if the son feels responsible... or, at a minimum, he feels that he has to ally in solidarity with his mother because of her illness. But I've said this already... and, once again, it is only speculation on my part.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
I am sure a lot of French will take his findings badly.
Probably. Apart from that, is anyone aware of what Pr Jean is actually proposing? An ancien rgime-style absolute monarchy or a constitutional monarchy?
Surely he's not a reincarnation of the comte de Chambord.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Probably. Apart from that, is anyone aware of what Pr Jean is actually proposing? An ancien rgime-style absolute monarchy or a constitutional monarchy?
Surely he's not a reincarnation of the comte de Chambord.
Yes, the intresting thing is that Jean seems to support the ancien rgime, while the Orlans in the past opposed it: Philippe-Egalit during the revolution, Louis-Philippe in 1830.
Jean can decide if claim the throne as King of France (as a successor of the comte de Chambord, so a successor of Charles X) or as King of the French (as a successor of Louis-Philippe). From what he has stated in the book it seems he prefers the first one.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Prince Jean d'Orleans and Princess Marie-Therese of Orleans, Duchess
of Montpensier, during the gala Andre-Charles Boule Exhibition " A new
style for Europe" at the old Opera in Frankfurt, Germany, October 27.
The Duchess of Vendome did not attend, quite understandable with
the baby coming soon..

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
Old 10-28-2009, 05:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for photos!
Given the health-related rumours, it is a pleasure to see Duchess of Montpensier attending a public event alongside her son. I have to say that she looks truly regal.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Yes, Al bina, I was thinking the same of your; it's nice to see her again, and she looks quite well, considering the very bad news about her health of the last May.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Courtier

I am very pleased that the Princess' health is good enough to allow her to attend society events. I confess they are the first pics of her I've ever seen after the ones of her wedding. She's an elegant and dignified lady (well Al-bina has said it right: "regal"). Thanks very much iceflower!
Old 10-28-2009, 08:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Delighted to see her, and well enough to attend an event.... long may she lives !
Old 10-28-2009, 09:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Duchess of Montpensier is elegant indeed. Good to see her out with her son. Regarding family squabbles, NEVER a good idea to play them out in the press/public. Everyone tends to get "mud in their eye", imho.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Prince Jean d'Orleans, the Duke of Vendome, presented his book
''Un Prince Francais" at the Paroisse de Notre Dame de Passy, Paris,
France, November 6, 2009.

The Princess was present as well, which is nice to see, on pic 4
you can also see Prince Eudes and Princess Marie Liesse, Duke and
Duchess of Angouleme.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **
Old 11-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Heir Apparent

The Count of Paris has his own Facebook site:
Le comte de Paris et Duc de France, Mgr Henri d'Orléans, de jure Henri VII | Facebook

Tags
duchess of vendome, duke of vendome, house of orleans