The Duke and Duchess of Vendôme: June 2009-Feb 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What happened between them?
Beautiful family!

Duke's of Vendome mother looks truly regal. On the other hand, Duchess' of Vendome ensembles are unkempt.

Last edited:
Do we know who his godparents are? Princess Isabelle of Liechtenstein and the prince Afonso of Portugal perhaps?

Do we know who his godparents are? Princess Isabelle of Liechtenstein and the prince Afonso of Portugal perhaps?

Le prince Afonso de Santa Maria de Bragança, Prince de Beira
Le prince Wenzel von und zu Liechtenstein
Monsieur Bénédict du Cassé
La princesse Marie-Liesse d'Orleans, Duchesse d'Angoulême née De Rohan-Chabot
La princesse Tılsım von und zu Liechtenstein née Tanberk
Madame Antoine Stevenson née De Sambucy de Sorgue

Princess Isabelle of L. represented Prince Wenzel her son.
Her daughter in law ,Princess Tilsim of L. lost her daughter and is now pregnant again.

On June 24, the Duke and Duchess of Vendôme received their cousin, the Prince Imperial of Brazil, Dom Bertrand, at Dreux.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd...._=1475971847_c999e13e2eee76068efd46168bef9f83

The Prince Imperial's paternal grandparents, Prince Imperial Dom Luiz of Brazil and his wife, nee Princess Maria Pia of the Two-Sicilies, his uncle, Prince Luiz Gastão of Brazil, and grand-uncle, Prince Antonio of Brazil, are buried there.

I must say: kudos for the Orléans brothers and sister to include their eldest brother Prince Francois and their sister Princess Blanche in the family festivities, despite their mental incapacity. Also the in-laws like Princess Philomena and Princess Marie-Liesse have a great and warm heart for them.

Did I miss grandfather Prince Henri d'Orléans and his spouse Princess Micaela? I haven't seen them on the pictures? I hope their health is still in order?

Last edited:
Did I miss grandfather Prince Henri d'Orléans and his spouse Princess Michaela? I haven't seen them on the pictures? I hope their health is still in order?

Their health is probably still in order.

The ailment is the on again, off again relationship between the Count of Paris and his children.

As you know, the Duke of Vendôme and his siblings have been very protective of the Duchess of Montpensier.

The rifts within the Orléans will never end, won't they?
I suppose this could also (at least partly) explain the absence of the Count of Paris from Prince Joseph's christening.
Also, does the document also mean that Prince Jean doesn't recognize the title of Count of Clermont, conferred by their father to Prince François?

Wasn't this the regulation after the rift between Henri Sr and Henri Jr in the early 1980's? The late Comte de Paris bypassed his own son in favour of his grandson Prince Jean (due to the disabilities of his eldest grandson).

Later it was settled again: Henri Jr became Chef de la Maison. Not so long ago he reaffirmed that his eldest son is and remains the heir but his brother Prince Jean would act as Regent.

The one and only solution with respect to the Droit Divin of Prince Francois. It is most weird that all is in a confusion now. Even the most die-hard royalist must loose patience so now and then, with these Orléans!

Well done Duc de Vendome, Prince François has to continue his own life . A Regency is a non sense
Their is real love between them. Bravo !
I have myself two sons the youngest is mental handicaped myseif and my eldest son are doing all for him until the end of our lifes.

France is a republic and their is no chance that it begins a monarchy.

Prince françois is the eldest son, and the eldest son is the heir even if he is handicaped, I found it nice that the Prince François stayed chef de la maison de France with the help of the council of the regence and Prince Jean who was the chief of this council.
To be the chief of the house of france is nothing now as France is a republic.

Prince Jean has to wait his turn for him and for his eldest son.

I never care about this house of Orleans.

Wasn't this the regulation after the rift between Henri Sr and Henri Jr in the early 1980's? The late Comte de Paris bypassed his own son in favour of his grandson Prince Jean (due to the disabilities of his eldest grandson).

Later it was settled again: Henri Jr became Chef de la Maison. Not so long ago he reaffirmed that his eldest son is and remains the heir but his brother Prince Jean would act as Regent.

The one and only solution with respect to the Droit Divin of Prince Francois. It is most weird that all is in a confusion now. Even the most die-hard royalist must loose patience so now and then, with these Orléans!
I thought it too... I think there will be a reaction from his father soon.

Well done Duc de Vendome, Prince François has to continue his own life . A Regency is a non sense
Their is real love between them. Bravo !
I have myself two sons the youngest is mental handicaped myseif and my eldest son are doing all for him until the end of our lifes.

In May this year, only a few months ago, Prince Henri stated that his son Prince François is his fils-ainé and therefore is and remains -after himself- the male primogeniture in the Royal House.

"Suite à de nombreuses conversations notamment avec ses frères et sœurs" Prince Henri arranged that his second son, Prince Jean, would act as Regent for his eldest brother. The Regent would be part of a Conseil de Régence, looking after the interests of Prince François.

This Council consists of:
- Jean, Duc de Vendôme (son of Henri Jr and Marie-Thérèse d'Orléans née de Württemberg), brother of François
- Jacques, Duc d'Orléans (son of Henri Sr and of Isabelle d'Orléans née d'Orléans de Bragance), uncle of François
- Charles-Louis, Duc de Chartres (son of Jacques and Gersende d'Orléans née de Sabran-Pontevès), cousin of François

In my opinion this was a perfect arrangement, respecting his eldest son's rights and with an eye for the realities of his handicap. No idea why Prince Jean suddenly throws an arrangement of May 2016 (!) out of the window.

:sad: :ohmy: :ermm:

Last edited:
Prince Jean wants the title of Comte de Paris nothing all.
I the rules of the sucession of the french monarchy, the eldest son of the king is the heir even if he is handicaped.
France is no more a monarchy and the Comte de Paris has not a lot of duties but he is invited at the royal events and for Prince Jean, the title of Comte de Paris is a great title, more than Duc of Vendome. and of course it will be the Duc of Vendome who will be present to these events as tutor of the Comte fe Paris

In the history of France, there were a lot of regence times

Prince Jean wants the title of Comte de Paris nothing all.
I the rules of the sucession of the french monarchy, the eldest son of the king is the heir even if he is handicaped.
France is no more a monarchy and the Comte de Paris has not a lot of duties but he is invited at the royal events and for Prince Jean, the title of Comte de Paris is a great title, more than Duc of Vendome. and of course it will be the Duc of Vendome who will be present to these events as tutor of the Comte fe Paris

In the history of France, there were a lot of regence times

The titulature in the Maison d'Orléans is pretty cryptic, to use an understatement. One would expect that the most prestigious title in that House (as long as France is no monarchy) is Duc d'Orléans.

Louis XIV created the title for his younger brother Philippe and since then it has followed the generations:

Philippe, 1st Duke of Orléans
(Brother of Louis XIV)

Philippe, 2nd Duke of Orléans
(Only surviving son of the 1st Duke)

Louis, 3rd Duke of Orléans
(Only son of the 2nd Duke)

Louis-Philippe, 4th Duke of Orléans
(Only son of the 3th Duke)

Louis Philippe, 5th Duke of Orléans
(Only son of the 4th Duke)

Louis Philippe, 6th Duke of Orléans
(Eldest son of the 5th Duke)
Became King in 1830 and the title went to his eldest son

Ferdinand-Philippe, 7th Duke of Orléans
(Eldest son of the 6th Duke)

1842-1850
The 7th Duke died before his father (whom became King Louis-Philippe, and remained so after his abdication).

Philippe, 8th Duke of Orléans - "Comte de Paris"
(Eldest son of the 7th Duke)
Philippe was known as Comte de Paris. After the death of his grandfather in 1850 he indeed became the new Duc d'Orléans but preferred to continue the title Comte de Paris.

Philippe, 9th Duke of Orléans
(Eldest son of the 8th Duke)

Jean, 10th Duke of Orléans
(Philippe -the 9th Duke- died without issue. His cousin and brother-in-law Jean, Duc de Guise, was the male primogeniture in the House of Orléans)

Henri, 11th Duke of Orléans - "Comte de Paris"
(Eldest son of the 10th Duke)
Ah, the famous Henri Sr, the father of the present head of the House of Orléans. The man with whom all problems started. The man whom squandered the once dazzling family fortune. The man whom created a dysfunctional family. As we have seen, until him the title Duc d'Orléans was always used by the male primogeniture in the House of Orléans. He himself started the mess with the titulature. He preferred the self-styled title "Comte de Paris" (as a homage to his maternal grandfather) instead of the title Duc d'Orléans for the Head of the House of Orléans.

Henri Sr decided to bestow the title Duc d'Orléans to his second son François, in memoriam. So the eldest son (Henri Jr) was bypassed. This can be seen as a sort of emotional geste because of the death of his second son. But dead is dead, of course.

Henri Sr decided to bestow the title Duc d'Orléans to his third son, Jacques. (Nine years earlier he bestowed it on his second son). The eldest son (Henri Jr) was bypassed once again. Already in those years Henri Sr and Henri Jr were in conflict.

Henri Sr died. His son Henri Jr became his successor as head of the House, despite attempts to bypass him in favour of his grandson François, with Jean as Regent. The title Duc d'Orléans was already given to Henri Jr's younger brother Jacques. So Henri Jr is now known as "Comte de Paris".

I hope that the title Duc d'Orléans, which always followed the male primogeniture of the House since 1661 will return to the head of the family indeed. I hope Prince François, the eldest son of Henri Jr will become Duc d'Orléans in the future (and then his brother Jean, and then his nephew Gaston, etc.).

Last edited:
One could argue that there is also a different logic behind giving the title of Duc d'Orléans to Prince Jacques: just like King Henri IV gave the title to his cadet son in 1607 and, after the latter's death in 1611, to his third (and at that point second surviving) son Gaston, and like King Louis XIV gave the title to his cadet brother Philippe, so "King in pretension" Henri (VI) gave the title to his cadet sons François and later Jacques.

"On the occasion of the Easter celebrations, Prince Gaston of France, eldest son of the Duke and the Duchess of Vendome, took part in the egg hunt organized in the park of the Chapelle Royale in Dreux in the presence of many children of the region. The day before, the family of the Duke and the Duchess of Vendome had the sadness of burying their Lady dog."

Chasse aux oeufs pour le prince Gaston - Noblesse & Royautés

Prince Jean attend at The 20th anniversary of the Federation of Catholic Family Associations in Europe (FAFCE) who took place in Rome from 30 May to 1 June
and have an audience with Pope Francis

Le prince Jean de France en audience avec le Pape François - Le blog de La Couronne

On monday June 5 The Duke and Duchess of Vendome attended the closing of the pilgrimage of Chartres

Le duc et la duchesse de Vendôme ont assisté à la clôture du pèlerinage de Chartres - Le blog de La Couronne

Last edited by a moderator:
The Duke and the Duchess of Vendome and their children attended the town hall of Rambouillet in the Yvelines at the civil marriage of their sister-in-law and sister Maria Magdalena of Tornos y Steinhart and Count Jean d'Haussonville on July 17th.

La duchesse de Vendôme au mariage civil de sa soeur - Noblesse & Royautés

The religious wedding it will become on 26 August in the Piaristenkirche of Vienna in Austria, Home of Madame de Tornos.

http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/p...ena-de-tornos-et-du-comte-jean-dhaussonville/

Last edited:
Congratulations to Doña María Magdalena de Tornos y Steinhart and to the Comte Jean d’Andlau de Cleron d’Haussonville. The bride looked enchanting at the civil ceremony and almost a twin to Duchesse de Vendôme.

The parents of the groom, Hugues-Bertrand and Delphine, the actual Comte et Comtesse d’Andlau de Cleron d’Haussonville née de Salignac-Fénelon are the owners of the Château de Coppet at Lake Geneva (picture).

Last edited:
Congratulations to Doña María Magdalena de Tornos y Steinhart and to the Comte Jean d’Andlau de Cleron d’Haussonville. The bride looked enchanting at the civil ceremony and almost a twin to Duchesse de Vendôme.

The parents of the groom, Hugues-Bertrand and Delphine, the actual Comte et Comtesse d’Andlau de Cleron d’Haussonville née de Salignac-Fénelon are the owners of the Château de Coppet at Lake Geneva (picture).
Do I remember correctly that the bride is of noble descent on her mother's but not on her father's side?

Do I remember correctly that the bride is of noble descent on her mother's but not on her father's side?

That is correct, but the family is well-woven with the aristocracy. For an example: a cousine of the bride (and of course her sister Philomena) is he current Marchioness de Yanduri. (Picture of the Palacío Yanduri in Seville).

The Marquess is Doña María del Carmen de Tornos y Eizaguerre, daughter of their uncle Don Alfredo de Tornos y Espelíus and of their aunt Doña María Luisa de Eizaguirre y Diaz de Rivera. Via them there is a kinship with the Albuquerques and other grand families of the Spanish nobility.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing the photo, eya. I always like to see this little family. The children are very sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom