The Duke and Duchess of Vendôme: June 2009-Feb 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question (what original). The title Duke of Vedome that has a important more for other titles. What a mean? The other heirs have a separate title like Prince of Asturias, Prince of Orange. Duke of Brabant etc. So this title have the same meaning or just a title for many? I hope to understand.

The most important title, compared with Prince of Wales, Prince of Orange, Prince of Asturias is Dauphin de France. The eldest son of the Chef de la Maison de France, Prince François, Comte de Clermont, is styled Dauphin by the Orléanists. Since he is handicapped by toxoplasmosis, his eldest brother Prince Jean, Duc de Vendôme was appointed Régent du Dauphin, looking after the interests of Prince François (and his sister Princess Blanche, also handicapped by toxoplasmosis).

The current Chef de la Maison de France, Prince Henri d'Orléans, himself was Comte de Clermont until 1999. In that year his father died and he became the Chef. His title was transferred to his eldest son Prince François. However it is "just" the rank of a Comte (and not Marquis, Duc, Prince), it is a very ancient title, used by the capétiens since 1218. Traditionally the County of Clermont was given as an apanage to the eldest son of the Duc de Bourbon. So maybe this anciennity is why the eldest son is "just" a Count. Maybe "low" at first sight, but very ancient and prestigious at second sight.

So the Francois officially is still the heir. I think i saw him and the Blanche at the party for the 50th of prince Jean. Thanks you answer me the genealogy and the titles is very interested to me especially for non-reigninig houses.

Last edited by a moderator:
The most important title, compared with Prince of Wales, Prince of Orange, Prince of Asturias is Dauphin de France. The eldest son of the Chef de la Maison de France, Prince François, Comte de Clermont, is styled Dauphin by the Orléanists. Since he is handicapped by toxoplasmosis, his eldest brother Prince Jean, Duc de Vendôme was appointed Régent du Dauphin, looking after the interests of Prince François (and his sister Princess Blanche, also handicapped by toxoplasmosis).

The current Chef de la Maison de France, Prince Henri d'Orléans, himself was Comte de Clermont until 1999. In that year his father died and he became the Chef. His title was transferred to his eldest son Prince François. However it is "just" the rank of a Comte (and not Marquis, Duc, Prince), it is a very ancient title, used by the capétiens since 1218. Traditionally the County of Clermont was given as an apanage to the eldest son of the Duc de Bourbon. So maybe this anciennity is why the eldest son is "just" a Count. Maybe "low" at first sight, but very ancient and prestigious at second sight.

Last edited:
The Duke and Duchess of Vendôme: June 2009-

Makes me think of Baron de Charlus from "Rememberance of things past" who although he carries the title of baron is one of the most distinguished and prestigious men in France due to the ancienneté of his name and title.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

JR76 said:
Makes me think of Baron de Charlus from "Rememberance of things past" who although he carries the title of baron is one of the most distinguished and prestigious men in France due to the ancienneté of his name and title.

Ha, I am reading the series right now! I would say that it is in the same spirit indeed. In volume two (which I just finished) Odette de Crécy (already Mme Swann) actually wonders how a mere count of Paris can be royal. Though the count that Odette must have been referring to was prince Philippe (1838-1894).

Last edited:
Ha, I am reading the series right now! I would say that it is in the same spirit indeed. In volume two (which I just finished) Odette de Crécy (already Mme Swann) actually wonders how a mere count of Paris can be royal. Though the count that Odette must have been referring to was prince Philippe (1838-1894).

Poor Odette, so desperate to fit into high society and still constantly putting her foot in it (or stepping in the piano as we say in Sweden)

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I am really looking forward to 2016. So many babies to be born. Congratulations to Jean, Philomena, Gaston, Antoinette and Louise-Marguerite.

What a nice surprise! Congratulations to the family. I was thinking the same thing principessa, us royal watchers have an exciting year ahead.

Congratulations for happy parents and proud elder siblings :flowers:
I think that Duchess of Vendôme will give birth to
a baby girl named Juliette in june 2016 ;)

Last edited:
My compliments for Prince Jean. He comes up for the eldest Christian heritage in the world which is under heavy pressure and on the verge of extinction.

Congratulations to parents, grandparents and siblings!
Welcome to the world, Joseph!

Congratulations to the family! :flowers:
That was a nice piece of news to wake up to. Joseph is a handsome name, and I love his middle names too. Nice and classical.

Congrats to the proud parents and happy family on the new addition :flowers:

Very classical Catholic name. Great choice for the new little member :)

I like that Prince Joseph has Marie as one of his middle names. This is a nice way to honor the Blessed Mother, the mother of Jesus.

Very common in the more catholic royal houses. The Count of Paris, all of his children (one daughter has it as a first name), and all of his grandchildren either have Marie or Maria. The Luxembourgs, Belgians, Austrians and Lichtensteins do as well (with exceptions).

:previous: Thank you for sharing these, iceflower. The Vendomes seem to be a happy family, I'm rather fond of them. The children are adorable and Princess Antoinette looks so grown up! Prince Joseph is adorable too, it's nice to see more of him.

Beautiful family ! But the rift between him and his father doesn't seem to heal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom