The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-26-2011, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Royal Tombs of France

The Royal Tombs of France

Anyone interested in the splendid gisants or Royal Tombs of France? Sadly most of them are empty having been desecrated by either the Huguenots or by mobs from 1792 onwards.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:49 PM
Serene Highness

Aren't some French royals buried in cathedrals like King Louis XVI and Queen Marie Antoinette whom are buried at the basilica St Denis where their statues kneel side by side in a prayer.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Serene Highness

I'm very interested. We are planning a trip to Fontevraud in the near future. St. Denis is fascinating, even including the desecration - the memorial where the bones were reinterred is one of the most moving places I've ever seen, really lingered there. But the mana of the royals still cling to those amazing tombs (there are royal/aristocratic tombs in the Louvre, too).

Hard to wrap my head around tomb desecration and that level of discontent with one's monarchs - but it happened, so people were indeed extremely unhappy with their government during the Revolution. (Beheading royals to make sure they did not rule again makes more sense, politically, than tomb desecration - although I suppose people were looting, right?)

Both practices (beheading, looting tombs) sound so...medieval, but not sure the Middle Ages had an event as bloody as the French Revolution. They sure had their share of mass executions in the Middle Ages, of course - but sheer population numbers weren't enough to compete with the late 18th century.

Looting of royal tombs, though, is not unheard of - I just have to remember there are people who will do that sort of thing. I find it hard to call them persons.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Serene Highness

The french monarchy also had the tradition of keeping the heart of a king on display except the only one to not have his heart out was King Louis XV and even the son of King Louis XVI, Louis Charles the proclaimed Louis XVII heart in a Case like that of his ancestors, to me it's weird but it's their tradition.

Here is the heart of Louis XVII
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2011, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
Aren't some French royals buried in cathedrals like King Louis XVI and Queen Marie Antoinette whom are buried at the basilica St Denis where their statues kneel side by side in a prayer.
Most French Monarchs & Consorts as well as other royal Prince & Princesses were originally buried at the Royal Abbey (now Basilca/Cathedral) of St. Denis outside Paris.

In 1793,following the abolition of the Monarchy the royal tombs at St Denis & other churches were desecrated by revolutionary mobs.Tombs were smashed,coffins broken open & plundered.Most of the royal remains were dragged from their coffins & dumped into a mass pit outside the Abbey.The remains of some Kings & Queens miraculously survived or escaped the attention of the revolutionaries (Louise of Lorraine,Clementia of Hungary,Isabelle de Hainaut & Philippe I of France).
Old 02-21-2012, 08:38 PM

St Denis

A few years ago when I visited St Denis, I noticed that there were three rooms in the crypt. I think two were where the remains were reinterred, as it had the names of the royals carved on the walls, please correct me if I am wrong. The third was a dark room. I put my camera, I don't know why, through the small barred window and snapped. When I looked at the result, it showed caskets and urns in the room. Does anyone know for certain why they would be in this room and to whom did they belong?
Old 02-28-2012, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjay View Post
A few years ago when I visited St Denis, I noticed that there were three rooms in the crypt. I think two were where the remains were reinterred, as it had the names of the royals carved on the walls, please correct me if I am wrong. The third was a dark room. I put my camera, I don't know why, through the small barred window and snapped. When I looked at the result, it showed caskets and urns in the room. Does anyone know for certain why they would be in this room and to whom did they belong?
Possibly this part of the vault contained the mumified hearts of The Kings of France which were placed in urns,sadly most of them are now empty.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

L
Old 03-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
The head of Henri IV has yet to be reburied at Saint Denis.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Burial sites of The Kings of France,i'm starting this list with Hugh Capet.

Hugh Capet, King : 987-996

Buried at Saint Denis Basilica outside Paris

Robert II, : King 996-1031

Henri I,King : 1031-1060

Philippe I,King : 1060-1108

Buried at the Benedictine Fleury Abbey
Old 04-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Louis VI,King of France (1108-1137)

Louis VII,King of France (1137-1180)

Old 04-03-2012, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Philippe II Auguste,King of France (1180-1223)

Louis VIII,King of France (1223-1226)

Louis IX,Saint & King of France (1226-1270)

Buried at Saint Denis Basilica outside Paris (Tomb destroyed)
Old 04-12-2012, 02:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

The parents of King Francois I:

Une cérémonie à cathédrale d'Angoulême pour les parents de François Ier
Old 04-14-2012, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
His father and grandparents,their remains were rediscovered The remains are believed to be those of,Charles d'Orléans, Count of Angoulême (French royal Prince & father of François Ier who died in 1496) & his parents,Jean d'd'Orléans (d.1467), Count of Angoulême & Marguerite de Rohan (d.1496).

Exclu CL: les squelettes exhumés à la cathédrale d'Angoulême sont ceux des aïeux de François Ier - CharenteLibre

The mother of King Francois Ier was buried at Saint Denis in 1531,her tomb was ransacked and violated with all the others in October 1793.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Philippe III, King of France (1270-1285)

Philippe IV le Bel,King of France (1285-1314)

Old 05-07-2012, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Louis X,King of France (1314-1316),King of Navarre and Comte de Champagne (1305-1316).

Jean/John I,King of France,Navarre and Comte de Champagne (15 November – 20 November 1316)

Old 05-10-2012, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Philippe V ,King of France and Navarre (1316-1322)

Old 05-23-2012, 08:18 PM

When Louis XVIII ascended the throne in 1815, he had the remains dumped in the pit brought back to the crypt and sealed behind the black walls. Then he had the names put on the walls. The second room contains the caskets of Louis-Philippe d'Orléans' children and grandchildren.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjay View Post
You're right. When Louis XVIII ascended the throne in 1815, he had the remains that had been dumped in the pit in 1793 brought back to the crypt and sealed behind the black walls with their names carved in them. The third room contains the caskets of Louis-Philippe d'Orléans' children and grandchildren.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

That 3rd room also contains the coffins/remains of Louis XV 's daughters,the Princesses Marie Adélaïde de France and Victoire de France.Both of them escaped from France in 1791 and died in exile.Louis XVIII later had their remains brought back to France and buried in the Bourbon vault of St Denis.