The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > Royal Families of France

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

It's very difficult choice and decision since a lot of disputes held on the topic.
The Duke of Anjou and the nephew of Count of Paris married a Portuguese Duchess of Cadaval ,so he gave her the status of princess upon marriage.When Philip V became the king of Spain,he renounced the right of his descendants to the French throne,so therefore the Burbons are not the Bourbons do not seem to be the true heirs to the throne of France ,but the Orleans who are the descendants of the last king of France.
I do not understand the disputes between the supposed claimants,as I highly doubt France will become a monarchy again,though I wish it would be nice to see it restored

Old 07-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

No-one in France believes in a Restoration.
The Heirs of two families will battle their whole life for ??
The actual Comte de Paris should have given to Charles Louis the tittle of Duke de Nemours. The former Duke died without children was close to Prince Michel and Beatrice d'Evreux/Orléans.
There will only one Duc d' Anjou, the late Duke of Cadiz 's son.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Forgive me if this has already been answered but this is a long thread and I can't read it all.
Are there two "Royal Families" of France because one is descended from the family of Louis XVI and the other is descended from the family of Napoleon?
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-18-2011, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

There are three claimants to the French Throne, and thus three "royal families":
1. Luis Alfonso, "Duke of Anjou"; he's a descendant from Philippe, Duke of Anjou, who renounced his claims to the French Throne to become King Felipe V of Spain in 1700; Luis Alfonso's supporters claim that Felipe V's renounciation was invalid, and thus Luis Alfonso is the legitimate Heir to the French Throne;
2. Henri, Count of Paris, descendant from King Louis Philippe I (of Orleans); if Felipe V's renounciation is valid, he is the legitimate Heir to the Throne;
3. Jean Christophe, Prince Napoleon.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:12 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm only joking, but....

Would it be an idea to have a TV show in which the three French pretenders have to "perform" in order to win the "throne" ?

If that's too boring a format, why not add "Madame Guillotine" at certain moments ?
Old 07-18-2011, 08:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Philippe Egalitè and his son betrayed the French Royal Family and were in favour of two Revolutions (1789 and 1830) but I suppose we can't blame for example the Duke of Vendome for what these two ancestors of him had done.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

I read that one of the claimants of the Russian throne also betrayed the royal family during the revolution. I tend to believe that if you betray the current monarch and his family, that you renounce your claim to the throne then and as a result your descendants have no claim.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-19-2011, 04:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

The enemis of Prince Louis-Alphonse de Bourbon say his maternal ancestor was Francisco Franco y Bahamonde, forgetting that the count of Paris' ancestor was Philippe Egalitè.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Nearly the same situation regarding claimants to the throne is in Russia as well,the main reason of disputes is that the last monarchs do not have any surviving children(Russia case) or ancestors(France case).But it seems to me Louis XIV and Louis XV have many descendants.
I wonder if in France the title of "Prince of Conde" still exists.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Princes of Orleans are not descendants of the last King of France because the last King of France was Charles X.
Louis-Philippe ( the regicide's son) was a sort of usurpateur and he didn't have the title of King of France.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:17 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
The enemis of Prince Louis-Alphonse de Bourbon say his maternal ancestor was Francisco Franco y Bahamonde, forgetting that the count of Paris' ancestor was Philippe Egalitè.
I am afraid I do not see your point very well. Indeed Philippe had his faults (voting for the execution of Louis XVI), but you can not compare that to the crimes of the Franco, who is responsible for approx. 130.000 deaths!

http://www.pragda.com/pdfs/Preston-1.pdf

In any case, we can hardly blame their descendants for these things.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Louis Philippe's father voted for the murder of martyr King Louis XVI.
Prince Louis-Alphonse de bourbon has nothing to do with the controversies concerning the Caudillo.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:11 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
Louis Philippe's father voted for the murder of martyr King Louis XVI.
Prince Louis-Alphonse de bourbon has nothing to do with the controversies concerning the Caudillo.
One could say king Louis-Philippe has nothing to do with his father's vote.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Louis Philippe did not vote the murder of a King but usurped the Throne of the rightful King.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Philippe Egalité , ( Orleans) vote for King Louis XVI death absolutely not Louis Philippe. You have to see on Wiki.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

During all the Revolutions in France the Orleans were in a different "camp" than the main branc of the Bourbons.They betrayed King Louis XVI, King Charles X and arrested the Duchess of Berry (Count of Chambord's mother).
Old 07-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Serene Highness

... and so what! At the end it's the people of France who had the last laugh. Charles X was maybe the dumbest king of french history and Louis Philippe ursuped nothing as he was clearly named by his cousin "lieutenand-general" of the kingdom and somewhat called to save the monarchy. I bet the old Charles was quite surprised to see Louis Philippe taking this role a little bit too seriously. If you want to blame someone just blame Charles X and his court, incapable to see, unlike Louis XVIII and the Orleans, that France has changed since the Revolution.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Maybe Charles X did some mistakes with the Polignac government but he didn't want the Duke of Orleans to take the power.Luois Philippe usurped a Throne:that's a fact.Who arrested the Duchess of Berry if not the same Louis Philippe?
Old 07-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Commoner

I think the rightful pretender to the French throne is Henri d'Orléans, Comte de Paris et Duc de France. I cheer him!!
Old 07-21-2011, 05:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Henri d'Orleans and Micaela Cousino are not very likely to ever become a royal couple in France.I suppose even them know it very well.