The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > Royal Families of France

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I think they will, the couple featured with various extensive articles in PdV already, among them a trip to Cambodja. And even before they were engaged the couple got extensive coverage and seemed to be doing an interview with the magazine every month.

In what cathedral in Evora do they marry? I was there in January but the place is crowded with them. One of them has the bones and skulls of 5000 people on the walls (the inscription on the door says: 'We bones that are here, await yours')

Old 06-20-2008, 06:52 PM
Heir Apparent

I always thought they were going to marry at the palatine chapel of St John The Evangelist...but now I hear it's at the epispocal seat of Evora..but my god! Skulls and bones on the walls?? That sounds like a horribly creepy scene for a wedding!

Old 06-20-2008, 07:16 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
In what cathedral in Evora do they marry? I was there in January but the place is crowded with them. One of them has the bones and skulls of 5000 people on the walls (the inscription on the door says: 'We bones that are here, await yours')
Evora has only one cathedral. The others are considered only churches. The cathedral is the "Sé", near the Roman temple.
Where are bones on the wall is in the chapel of bones, next to church of San Francisco. Evora is a place with many churches, but only a cathedral.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:28 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana View Post
Evora has only one cathedral. The others are considered only churches. The cathedral is the "Sé", near the Roman temple.
Where are bones on the wall is in the chapel of bones, next to church of San Francisco. Evora is a place with many churches, but only a cathedral.
Thank you Ana! They all looked rather big to me and as a dutch reformed I am not very aware of the difference between a church and a cathedral since we call everything a church, even the (former) cathedrals. Anyway, I found a link with pictures to the Cathedral of Sé, which can be seen here.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Hello! Magazine has some photos from the wedding:
Two of Europe's most aristocratic clans unite as Duke of Anjou weds
Old 06-23-2008, 07:20 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Thank you Ana! They all looked rather big to me and as a dutch reformed I am not very aware of the difference between a church and a cathedral since we call everything a church, even the (former) cathedrals. Anyway, I found a link with pictures to the Cathedral of Sé, which can be seen here.
The Cathedral is the church which is presided by a bishop/archbishop (in case of Évora).
Others are mere churches.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:46 PM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
The Cathedral is the church which is presided by a bishop/archbishop (in case of Évora).
Others are mere churches.
A Cathedral is the principal church of a diocese, and what makes a church a Cathedral is the presence of the bishop. In Portugal, a cathedral is often an impressive and large building,and it represents the power and duties of the bishop. The Cathedrals are often witnesses of several Important events, as Coronations and Royal Weddings.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:59 PM
Aristocracy

Bones Chapel

And some links to the nearby Bones Chapel at S.Francisco Church.

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capela_dos_Ossos
Capela dos Ossos (Bone Chapel), Evora, Portugal

Évora is one of my favourite towns in Portugal.
It was distinguished by Unesco a couple of decades ago.

And some of the country's best restaurants are to be found there.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Administrator

The Wedding thread can be found here.

¤ ¤ ¤