Palaces and Chateaux

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here are some photos I took of the apartments of Napoleon III when I was in the Louvre in 2014.

Attachments

• IMG_8982.jpg
    IMG_8982.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_8983.jpg
    IMG_8983.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_8984.jpg
    IMG_8984.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_8991.jpg
    IMG_8991.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 219
Some more photos of the apartments Napoleon III at the Louvre.

Attachments

• IMG_8992.jpg
    IMG_8992.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_8993.jpg
    IMG_8993.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_8996.jpg
    IMG_8996.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_8998.jpg
    IMG_8998.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 362
A couple of more photos I took of the Louvre apartments of Napoleon III.

Attachments

• IMG_8999.jpg
    IMG_8999.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_9001.jpg
    IMG_9001.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_9009.jpg
    IMG_9009.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_9013.jpg
    IMG_9013.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
The Christmas decorations are back at the Château Vaux-le-Vicomte. This splendid castle was the inspiration for the Château de Versailles. Vaux-le-Vicomte was created by the same three masters responsible for Versailles: Louis Le Vau (exterior), Charles Le Brun (interior) and André Le Nôtre (gardens).

The Château Vaux-le-Vicomte was build in 1656/1670 for Nicholas Fouquet, Vicomte de Vaux (1615-1680), Sûrintendant (= "Minister") of Finances under King Louis XIV. In the course of time the château became very neglected and in poor state but in the 19th C it was bought by the De Vogüé family and brought back to old glory. At present the estate is owned by three brothers: Asciano, Jean-Charles and Alexandre de Vogüé.

The castle is known for the splendid interiors. Look at the gobelins behind the Christmas decoration: picture. For Christmas the castle is wonderfully decorated.

These are truly magnificent places to visit. I can't believe that these places still exist in this world, unbelievable and breath taking. Thank you so much for a trip back in time. :flowers:

Indeed a trip back in time. What lovely would be a trip exclusively to all these castles there are. I wonder if it is open to the public all the year and if the families belonging to them that are permanently live in them;

Chateau de la Mothe-Chandeniers, an abandoned castle in France that traces its origins to the 13th century, has an unusual new group of owners: 11,000 strangers from across the globe who teamed up online to buy the castle.

Over 11,000 Strangers Just Bought an Abandoned French Castle Together

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the Château Vaux-le-Vicomte is open for public and yes, the family De Vogüé still resides in non-public parts of the estate. When the family wants to use the whole Château, for an example to host guests for a party, then the estate will be temporarily closed for public entrance.

Reactions: eya
The Christmas decorations are back at the Château Vaux-le-Vicomte. This splendid castle was the inspiration for the Château de Versailles. Vaux-le-Vicomte was created by the same three masters responsible for Versailles: Louis Le Vau (exterior), Charles Le Brun (interior) and André Le Nôtre (gardens).

The Château Vaux-le-Vicomte was build in 1656/1670 for Nicholas Fouquet, Vicomte de Vaux (1615-1680), Sûrintendant (= "Minister") of Finances under King Louis XIV. In the course of time the château became very neglected and in poor state but in the 19th C it was bought by the De Vogüé family and brought back to old glory. At present the estate is owned by three brothers: Asciano, Jean-Charles and Alexandre de Vogüé.

The castle is known for the splendid interiors. Look at the gobelins behind the Christmas decoration: picture. For Christmas the castle is wonderfully decorated.

Beautiful. :flowers:

The Château Royal d'Amboise (Prince Jean and Princess Philomena live on the domain) by evening: picture.

After the March 31, 1661 marriage of Philippe de France, duc d'Orleans and Henrietta Anne of England, the Palais-Royal became the main residence of the House of Orleans.

After King Henry II died in 1559, his widow Queen Catherine de' Medici made the Chateau de Chenonceau her own favorite residence.

After King Henry II died in 1559, his widow Queen Catherine de' Medici made the Chateau de Chenonceau her own favorite residence.

It was the residence of Henri's infamous mistress Diane de Poitiers,Catherine now all powerful queen regent forced Diane to exchange her beloved Chateau de Chenonceau for the Château de Chaumont.

Henri's death was Diane's downfall.

It was the residence of Henri's infamous mistress Diane de Poitiers,Catherine now all powerful queen regent forced Diane to exchange her beloved Chateau de Chenonceau for the Château de Chaumont.

Henri's death was Diane's downfall.

I got to visit both a few years ago, and fell in love with Chaumont-sur-Loire.

A step down for Diane, but it had - and still does - the best stables in Europe, and a wonderful position.

By chance - more than by design - I visited six of the so called "ten best" Chateaux in a matter of a few days.

Travelling by local train and walking - and no language skills and not young.

A wonderful experience - and off season, so no crowds.

Got lost at times, but worked it out - didn't have maps either, just up for the experience.

(Got far more lost doing the same thing in the Rhine - that was a bit more scary, lost in those forests a few times trying to find the track to the castles!)

If you ever think you would like to see these places, please allow yourself.

Very cheap when you do it yourself - you don't need an organized group, that can be very limiting time-wise too.

Very do-able, don't miss out - all sorts of amazing places ordinary people can go to these days.

Last edited:
A step down for Diane, but it had - and still does - the best stables in Europe, and a wonderful position.

She also retained the even nicer Château d'Anet but more importantly she kept her head ;)

She also retained the even nicer Château d'Anet but more importantly she kept her head ;)

And I alway picture her as Lana Turner, from that old Roger Moore movie An Ard Ri - which isn't really right!

She sounded like a capable and motivated person from what she did for the property when she was in charge of Chenoneau.

And I alway picture her as Lana Turner, from that old Roger Moore movie An Ard Ri - which isn't really right!

She sounded like a capable and motivated person from what she did for the property when she was in charge of Chenoneau.

Ha ha I'm sure Diane would have been quite happy with Lana Turner playing her on the big screen ;)

Yesterday I saw the last part of documentary series about Leonardo da Vinci. He died at the Château d'Amboise. In the documentary it was told that it was still owned by the heirs of Louis-Philippe d'Orléans, placed in the foundation Saint-Louis.

I believe Prince Jean lives at a mansion on the site of the Château d'Amboise. But where did his father Prince Henri live? In Dreux?

Pic of Château d'Amboise: http://www.camping-la-poterie-37.com/ressources/medias/67-region-chateau-d-amboise-1600x900.jpg

Leonardo da Vinci died on the grounds of Amboise at the Château du Clos Lucé on May 2nd,1519.His remains were were originally buried at the Collégiale Saint-Florentin du Château d'Amboise but were thrown into a pit in 1793 when the church was vandalized and pillaged and later torn down.The alleged bones of Leonardo da Vinci were re-discovered in 1863 and were reburied at the Chapelle Saint-Hubert inside the chateau.

598px-Francois_Ier_Leonard_de_Vinci-Jean_Auguste_Dominique_Ingres.jpg

Leonardo da Vinci died on the grounds of Amboise at the Château du Clos Lucé on May 2nd,1519.His remains were were originally buried at the Collégiale Saint-Florentin du Château d'Amboise but were thrown into a pit in 1793 when the church was vandalized and pillaged and later torn down.The alleged bones of Leonardo da Vinci were re-discovered in 1863 and were reburied at the Chapelle Saint-Hubert inside the chateau.

598px-Francois_Ier_Leonard_de_Vinci-Jean_Auguste_Dominique_Ingres.jpg

That picture of François I holding the dying Leonardo is a romanticization. The King was some 70 km away when Leonardo died at the manoir Clos-Lucé, near the Château d'Amboise.

That's correct it was a 19th century of romanticist painting of François I and the dauphin at the death bed of Leonardo da Vinci .Seeing as François I did not make it to deathbed of his devoted mother Louise de Savoie there was considerable artistic licence ;)

Back
Top Bottom