New Prince of Andorra?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ff462

Gentry
City
Oxford
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I just wanted some help in understanding why the claimants of the french throne are actually claimants, in particular because I'm interested in the Andorran co-princes, one of whom used to be the kings of France.

It's changed now, and it seems odd that a political figure that hasn't been elected by its country's people should be the head of a state, when monarchs today are usually above politics. It is even more bizarre that the monarch of Andorra is the president of France, a country which is proudly republican. Would it not make more sense if the heir to the county of Foix (the counts of Foix used to be the co-princes of Andorra, until their descendants became kings of France, as I'm sure you all know), became the co-prince?

Which brings me to the original query, who is the heir to the french throne, and by default I suppose, the heir to the county of foix? There is lots on Wikipedia about pretenders to the French throne, but none of them seem to mention the descendants of Charles X, the last Bourbon king of France. I understand why descendants of Louis-Philippe from the house of Orelans or Napoleon are claimants but I can't figure out what claim Louis Alphonse, Duke of Anjou has?

He represents the senior line of the descendants of Louis XIV.

Is Charles X not the direct descendant of Louis XIV (sorry, I'm not very clued up on these things, which is why I'm asking about it)?

It's just, when I follow the line of descent from Louis XIV (information from wikipedia) I come to the house of Bourbon-Parma, the head of which is now Charles, Duke of Parma. I am however, using male primogeniture. In France could females inherit at all?

Is Charles X not the direct descendant of Louis XIV (sorry, I'm not very clued up on these things, which is why I'm asking about it)?

It's just, when I follow the line of descent from Louis XIV (information from wikipedia) I come to the house of Bourbon-Parma, the head of which is now Charles, Duke of Parma. I am however, using male primogeniture. In France could females inherit at all?

Charles X was indeed a direct descendant of Louis XIV.
Louis XIV > Louis, Dauphin of France > Louis, Dauphin of France and Duke of Burgundy > Louis XV > Louis, Dauphin of France > Charles X

France initially operated semi Salic laws - females could inherit in absence of male heirs. However, during the reign of Philip V the succession law was changed to Salic, whereby females and their descendants were excluded from the Line of Succession. Salic law was passed because there were doubts about legitimacy of Princess Joan (the only surviving child of Philip V's elder brother, Louis X); otherwise, under normal circumstances, she would have become Queen of France and Navarre. Though her uncle took the French Throne, she did become Queen of Navarre since that country never had Salic laws.

Last edited:
There are male descendants from Charles X (the Bourbon-Parma Princes) but through female line.

The President of the French Republic is a co-prince of Andorra with the Archbishop of Uregell.
It shocks absolutely nobody in France, Andorra is an independent country, they choose their politic system and their representatives. If they want that the French president rather than the Spanish king represents them, it’s their choice.

The French President is also the first honoray canon of Latran for the Vatican. Latran claims the title of ecumenical mother church among Roman Catholics.

In 1939, Pope Pius XII decided the condemnation of the royal lobby «*Action Française*».
So the French Republic accepts with politeness and equity the responsibilities which foreign states and the Roman catholic religion wanted to give French republican President emphatically.

The French Republic fought quite a lot against the Catholic Church.

Back
Top Bottom