Louise of Savoy (1476-1531), Regent of France, mother of Francis I

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An Ard Ri

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
An Iarmhí
Country
Ireland
Louise of Savoy/Louise de Savoie

Louise of Savoy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The formidable mother of Francois I & Regent of France on 3 seperate occasions,Louise was the most powerful woman in France during the first half of her son's reign.

MadameLouise.jpg

What a fascinating woman. I currently have no great interest in French history, but this gal just might be my spur.

What a fascinating woman. I currently have no great interest in French history, but this gal just might be my spur.

Louise is one of my favourite French Royals,though she was never a Queen of France (she was a Princess) ,she was queen mother of France in all but name.

Last edited:
Today marks the anniversary of the birth of Louise de Savoie in 1476.

360px-Louise_de_Savoie_JdL.JPG

22 September 1531,Anniversary of the death of Louise de Savoie

LouisedeSavoie1.jpg

Her heart was buried at Notre Dame de Paris and her body at Saint Denis Abbey outside Paris.

On the 1st of January 1496,Charles d'Orléans, Count of Angoulême husband of Louise of Savoy and father of Francois I died .His remains were buried at Angoulême Cathedral and were recently re-discovered.

431px-CHARLES_DE_VALOIS-ORL%C3%89ANS_COMTE_D%27ANGOUL%C3%8AME.PNG

On the vigils of the feasts of the Virgin Mary, Louise fasted on bread and water. She looked upon her finery as a reminder to adorn her soul with virtues.

Louise was quite pious and often went on pilgrimages ,her confessor the Italian Franciscan was Cristoforo Numai who was also charged with the Renaissance education of her children.

Louise like her daughter Marguerite were interested in the ideals of early reformation but was horrified when iconoclastic attacks were made on images/statues/relics/churches/abbeys/convents and places of pilgrimage,this was a step too far for Louise.

In compliance with the wish of her mother, Louise wore costly garments and jewelry as was becoming her princess rank. Underneath them she wore a garment of haircloth. She looked upon her external finery as a reminder to adorn her soul with virtues.

Anne de Bretagne despised Louise de Savoie and it seems the feeling was very mutual.Queen Anne was very much against the union of her daughter Claude and Louise's son the future king François I but King Louis XII was in favour and the marriage went ahead,queen Anne withdrew to her court in Brittany .

Louise of Savoy was married in 1488 when she was eleven years old. However, she did not live with her husband Charles, Count of Angouleme until she reached the age of fifteen.

An engraving of Louise from when she served as Regent of France in 1515.
359px-La_Mode_par_l’Image_–_22_–_Louise_de_Savoie.jpg

Louise of Savoy symbolically taking over the "rudder" in 1525, and requesting the help of Suleiman the Magnificent, here shown lying at her feet enturbanned.
All%C3%A9gorie_de_la_r%C3%A9gence_de_Louise_de_Savoie_-_Gestes_de_Blanche_de_Castille_BNF_Fr5715.jpg

Louise of Savoy symbolically taking over the "rudder" in 1525, and requesting the help of Suleiman the Magnificent, here shown lying at her feet enturbanned.
Louise of Savoy was again Regent of France from 1525 to 1526 whilst her son was King François was held captive in Spain.
Louise would almost bankrupt the kingdom trying to have her son released and made some dodgy alliances too!

Back
Top Bottom