The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > Royal Families of France

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-19-2008, 11:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Nothing Maria Olivia, it is about the money we spend on these auctions......and where it comes from? In my case if comes from my husband and I have to deflate the prices or I can´t buy........
Is there another royal auction coming up?

Old 10-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

The next famous auction in Paris will take place on February 2009 : it is the collection of late Yves Saint Laurent...This collection contains masterpieces..
I have a new avatar, it is our beloved Queen Elisabeth wearing her Cartier tiara.
After Leopold's III death , his second wife Lilian de Rethy sold it back to Cartier..
She should never had done that...

Old 10-19-2008, 12:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
The next famous auction in Paris will take place on February 2009 : it is the collection of late Yves Saint Laurent...This collection contains masterpieces..
I have a new avatar, it is our beloved Queen Elisabeth wearing her Cartier tiara.
After Leopold's III death , his second wife Lilian de Rethy sold it back to Cartier..
She should never had done that...
One of my little treasures that I picked up in an antique shop was this;-

I think it started off as a cheap little souvenir of her marriage but I treasure it and it was such a surprise to find it here in Portugal.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Is her name on it ? She was born Duchesse EN Bavière , her father Carl-Theodor was Sissi's brother. She married Prince Albert in 1900 and got her first child (léopold III) in 1901. Congratulations this is a nice treasure..
(I believe that in Portugal they did not know her..
The Ex King Humberto lived also in Cascais . After his death what happened with his furniture ?? Perhaps you can start another forum with "Royal auction " ?
Old 10-19-2008, 12:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

I didn´t take a very good picture, it has SM Elisabeth de Belgique written on the front just above the blue.
I visited \ the Italian Princesses many years ago in the house and they had mainly modern furniture that I can remember. It was a modern house, the very first house that I had been in that had its own lift (innocent abroad I was). To tell you the truth I was most impressed with the beautiful closet full of designer clothes and shoes that I was shown in the youngest Princess´s bedroom. I should imagine that any valuable pieces were taken by the two princesses that lived there and perhaps their brother. I can´t remember anything ever being sold off, just taken with them I think. The house was gutted and is now a luxury hotel just down the street from where I live.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Dear friends,
A received a letter from Christie's to-day the item 424 ( a boiled papier maché bonbonniere 19 th Century is for me...
I don't understand , it was written Price Realised 1.125 euros.. My order was less. .. Did someone cancel ?
So in November I will go to Paris...
Old 10-20-2008, 01:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Congratulations..... Lovely to hear that you have had success...
Old 10-20-2008, 01:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Dear friends,
A received a letter from Christie's to-day the item 424 ( a boiled papier maché bonbonniere 19 th Century is for me...
I don't understand , it was written Price Realised 1.125 euros.. My order was less. .. Did someone cancel ?
So in November I will go to Paris...
Congratulations! Someone may have bid on it and either could not pay the amount or there was some confusion about it.
Locally if we bid on an item and something is not revealed at the time of bidding, the one who "won" the item can back out of the sale.
I do not know how it worked with Madame's auction.
Menarue, this item looks absolutely beautiful. Good for you.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

In Point de Vue of this week , 6 pages and pictures about the Auction. The two last items belonging to Queen Marie Antoinette were sold to people from Chili and Qatar..
Only one Museum of France could get some items : the Musée Louis Philippe au Chateau d' Eu (Normandie)... How sad...
Old 10-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

I haven´t got my Point de Vue yet. Chili and Qatar!!! Oh well I hope they cherish them.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:09 AM
Courtier

It is just so depressing to see royals sale their heirlooms and instead of keeping them
in the family.But it is their decision and just have to deal with it.Hoping that all the
people who won a piece of history treasure it forever.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 10-27-2008, 10:24 AM
Aristocracy

Congratulations maria olivia! You made a very nice acquisition there.
I was in Paris to see the exhibition before the sale of the Succession de feus Monseigneur le Comte de Paris et Madame la Comtesse de Paris. So nice!
Yesterday, in France, there was a TV programm talking about the sale. If you want to watch it, click here : Patrimoine : Des enchères royales chez Christie's - REVOIR UNE EMISSION - Vidéos
Old 10-27-2008, 11:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you so much VFH, it was almost as good as being there. I felt very sad to see Prince Jean outbid even though the buyer was very nice and showed great respect for the Prince.
I saw a glimpse at the beginning of those beautiful bracelets with portraits of family children. I wonder where they will go.
After seeing this I can´t think but how lucky Maria Olivia is to have managed to buy something. Congratulations again.
I remember well the family here in Portugal, such beautiful blonde children and so many of them. I think the only piece I would not have like to have owned is the razor....
Thanks again for this, I am now going to watch again.
Menarue
Old 11-11-2008, 11:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Cany anyone help me with this please- I have this little pewter brooch that I think probably started life as a button. At first I thought it was the emblem of Chambord but now I find it isn´t. I saw an embroidered cushion with this same pattern amongst the Comtesse de Paris´s belongings in a picture taken when she was still alive.
I would love to know more about it.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks a lot VFH 78 for the TV program concerning the royal auction , very interesting and sad to see. Friday I go to Christies/Paris to take my royal item.
The afternoon I will see the Van Dijck's Exhibition at the Jacquemart André Museum.That will be a royal day !
Old 11-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

To Menarue and all the others , I went yesterday to Christies/Paris. I have my royal box.
In the official catalogue (sold out) they was a mistake: an other small box was printed with the good explanation and they made a new certificate. This is perhaps the reason why I could have the item ?
Nevertheless my certificate is with the coloured arms of feux le Comte de Paris et la Comtesse de Paris..
Old 11-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Congratulations Maria-Olivia, that is wonderful. What a terrific souvenir you have and you were very lucky by the sound of it.
Luck like that doesn´t happen that often.......
Old 11-24-2008, 07:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
To Menarue and all the others , I went yesterday to Christies/Paris. I have my royal box.
In the official catalogue (sold out) they was a mistake: an other small box was printed with the good explanation and they made a new certificate. This is perhaps the reason why I could have the item ?
Nevertheless my certificate is with the coloured arms of feux le Comte de Paris et la Comtesse de Paris..

Congratulations Maria Olivia.
There was a scathing letter to the Point de Vue by a lady who was furious. She saw the photos of the children and grandchildren laughing during the auction. She wondered how they let a painting of Madame be sold to strangers and how France did not step in to buy some of the items. A Quatari apparently bought Marie Antoinette's purse.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Gentry

It is always difficult to deal with these knid of matters : family heirlooms, heritage and so on...
First, let's keep in mind that none of the family members had the financial means to keep all the things and give the money to the other heirs. That is life.
Then, princesse Chantal and princesse Claude declared on french tv it was wrong to say they were selling everything, which is true.
Concerning the museums and their "not buying" things, you have to keep in mind that in order to buy something a museum, at least in France has to report to it's authority (ministry of culture) in order to prove the importance of the object and the need to buy it. Then a maximum price is established; I know for sure that The french museums wanted to buy 35 objects, but they really could not step in as the prices for the lots which interested them went to high. No one could have foreseen the interest this auction would have provoked. I know it is sad in a way but understandable.
I can't comment a lot on the following, but let's say that many, (i mean many) very important jewels and sceals have been bought by a french collectionneur who will cherish the and keep them safe and even told me he would gladly lend them for exhibitions. So everything is not lost.
And so many grandchildren of the late comte and comtesse de Paris managed to buy some items they really wanted, as well as a lot of the children. And they did it in perfect harmony with each other which is nice to know. Finally so many anonymous persons (even one on this board) managed to buy something they will cherish.
We might not be happy about the selling, but considering it could not have been done another way, let's be happy it went in a smooth and nice way and proved the french royal family is still popular with it's followers.
The funniest thing is that so many people who had resisted buying something during the auction, were trying to buy back from the lucky bidders after the auction.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:01 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree with you, Vincent about the delicate nature of these types of situations. I would imagine that the family did not feel joyous at the selling of their family heirlooms. It is a very unfortunate situation. Does anyone know if the any of the lucky bidders donated any of their purchases back to the family?

Tags
auction, countess of paris, french royal family, isabelle, isabelle of france, the house of orleans