King Louis XVI (1754-1793) and Marie Antoinette of Austria (1755-1793)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess they were trying to economize lol.

Maria Carolina (the third sister to be betrothed to King Ferdinand) flatly refused to go to the Imperial Vault, and the Empress, having criticised the lack of piety in the young generation, went there to pray herself... As it was usual for Maria Theresa.

Did she have smallpox before resulting in a physiological resistance to it? Or was she just plain lucky?

Alicky said:
Did she have smallpox before resulting in a physiological resistance to it? Or was she just plain lucky?
She already had had smallpox, if I remember correctly.

Marie Antoinette

marie_antoinette_400x531.jpg

http://womenshistory.about.com/library/pic/bl_p_marie_antoinette.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
tiaraprin said:
Although this is Danish and not German, and I don't know German too well, it seems some of Marie Antoinette's jewelry was stolen on the night of June 13 in West London.

thanks, I only know english:eek:

Here is something else I found.
You have to scroll down a bit--past her background.
http://www.soupsong.com/zjul04.html --VERMICELLI SOUP: The Last Meal of Queen Marie Antoinette Before Her Execution. I looked for other sites to make sure that it is accurate and they sent me back to this one. So I guess it is.

care for her hemorrhages.

what are the hemorrhages spoked of in the article? i have read that that her hair change from blond to white and that she age so much that she look like a women in her 60's not in her 30's.
does anyone believe she was misunderstood or that she just didnt care about her subjects and her duties?

i just found this on a web site that quotes famous people its call
http://www.corsinet.com/braincandy/dying2.html
here is maria's quote
Farewell, my children, forever. I go to your Father.
Executed by guillotine.
Monsieur, I beg your pardon.
Spoken to the executioner, after she stepped on his foot.
~~ Marie Antoinette, Queen of France, d. October 16, 1793

You are going to hurt me, please don't hurt me, just one more moment, I beg you!
Guillotined.
~~ Madame du Barry, mistress of Louis XV, d. 1793
isn't that one of the sadest thing u have read?

I don't remember which said it, but during the Revolution when an aristocrat was being taken away to prison to await his execution, he said: "Make sure that after you cut my head off that you hold it up long enough for the crowd to see. It's worth looking at."

Alicky said:
I don't remember which said it, but during the Revolution when an aristocrat was being taken away to prison to await his execution, he said: "Make sure that after you cut my head off that you hold it up long enough for the crowd to see. It's worth looking at."

That is so sad, but so funny!:confused:

semisquare said:
does anyone believe she was misunderstood or that she just didnt care about her subjects and her duties?

IMHO, I don't think Marie Antoinette ever understood her position and what it meant. She went from a very informal court at Vienna to being constantly on show in Versailles. No one really trained or guided Marie Antoinette (Just like Diana and Fergie). She was a girl of 14 years of age and ends up in the most debauched and glittering court in France. It turned her head. She became frivolous and the adulation and riches of the world were at her feet. She didn't realize that she had to pay a price for the priviledge such as the duties that royal protocol demanded of her.

I also don't think she ever committed herself to becoming a Frenchwoman. She always remained an Austrian in her eyes and everything was always compared to the Austrian way. She never fathomed that half the court hated her because they were anti-Austrian due to generations of enmity that was between Austria and France before the peace treaty and her marriage. If she had made the effort to become truly French, she might have had more success.

Even as a child Maria Antonia was frivolous and unfocused. Had she not been Queen of France, she still would have had the same character I'm sure, unless she married in Austria possibly enabling her disdaining mother to reel her in a bit. But either way, I don't think she pondered many deep thoughts. :rolleyes: :p

I also don't think she ever committed herself to becoming a Frenchwoman. She always remained an Austrian in her eyes and everything was always compared to the Austrian way.

good point, im sure that would have help some if she didnt compare her old home land to her new home.

Madame du Barry, last Maitresse en Titre to Louis XV, Enemy to Marie Antoinette

Before Marie Antoinette came to the French court, she promised her mother, the Empress Maria Theresa of Austria, that she would not receive Madame du Barry, mistress of her grandfather-in-law, Louis XV. This refusal lead to some of the early problems Marie Antoinette faced at the French court. However, this refusal pales in the light of what she did as time went on.

Eventually, pressure was placed on Marie Antoinette to just say one word to Madame du Barry. That one word would recognize Madame du Barry by Marie Antoinette to the court. Marie Antoinette backed down and did ask a simple question one time at a court event. Madame du Barry triumphed.

Madame du Barry was the last important Royal mistress. She died on the guillotine as a victim of the French Revolution in 1793.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madame_du_Barry

Madame du Barry (August 19, 1743 - December 8, 1793) was a courtesan who became the mistress of Louis XV of France.

Madame du Barry

Madame du Barry was born Marie-Jeanne Bécu at Vaucouleurs, Lorraine, France. She was born to poor parents, but relationships with rich men increased her social standing, and in 1769 she became the mistress of Louis XV of France, whose best known mistress Madame de Pompadour had died a few years earlier. She was an enemy of Marie Antoinette's.

Madame du Barry was a light-hearted woman, whose influence stayed limited. After the death of the King she left the court. She was executed by guillotine on the Place de la Concorde in 1793 after a predetermined trial. She became quite hysterical and tried to buy her life back. Her last words to the executioner "Encore un moment, monsieur le bourreau, un petit moment." (Just a moment, executioner, a small moment) were her most famous.

In 2006, she will be portrayed by Asia Argento in Sofia Coppola's biopic Marie-Antoinette

Last edited:
What do you all think of the treatment of her son Louis Charles (King Louis XVII)?

Does anyone know anything about him..all I know is that he died in prison, and in 2000 a body of a boy was proven to be his....??

Harry's polo shirt said:
What do you all think of the treatment of her son Louis Charles (King Louis XVII)?

Does anyone know anything about him..all I know is that he died in prison, and in 2000 a body of a boy was proven to be his....??

During the French Revolution Prince Louis was imprisoned with his parents.
As the eldest living son of King Louis XVI, he was proclaimed King of France on January 28, 1793 by the declaration of his uncle Louis-Stanislas-Xavier, the Compte de Provence, issued in the city of Hamm, near Dortmund, Westphalia, a territory of the Archbishop of Cologne. The declaration at the time was without authority, since France had become a republic, however when the nation, and European powers accepted Louis-Stanislas-Xavier as Louis XVIII in 1815, they barely recognized Louis XVII's rights.
When the Royal Family was being held in prison in the summer of 1793, he was separated from his mother and sister to prevent a monarchist bid to free him.
He was imprisoned alone a floor below his sister, until his death in June 1795.
He was ironically called a "Capet," the family name that the revolutionaries applied to the French royals, Hugh Capet being the non-royal founder of the ruling dynasty's antecedents. The little boy was set to hard work as a cobbler's assistant and was taught to curse his parents. He was officially reported to have died in the prison from what is today recognized to have been tuberculosis. Reportedly, his body was ravaged by tumors. An autopsy was carried out on the child's frail body at the prison. Following a tradition of preserving royal hearts, his heart was removed by the physician, Philippe-Jean Pelletan, who smuggled it out in a handkerchief and finally preserved it in alcohol. His body was buried in a mass grave

Thanks for the info Layla1971!

I read somewere that while in prison his mother Marie could hear him crying from her cell above his...that is soooo sad!!

was all of the royal family buried in a mass grave? or was louis treated any differently? and there will be a movie about marie, coming out sometime in 2006.

Last edited:
semisquare said:
was all of the royal family buried in a mass grave? or was louis treated any differently? and there will be a movie about marie, coming out sometime in 2006.

The movie, Marie-Antoinette is based on Antonia Fraser's biography of the Austrian Archduchess & Queen Consort of France.

The cast include:

Kirsten Dunst...Marie Anoinette
Jason Schwartzman...Louis XVI
Rip Torn... Louis XV
Judy Davis...Comtesse de Noailles (Australian Actress)
Asia Argento...Madame du Barry
Marianne Faithfull...Maria Theresa
Aurore Clement...La duchesse de Chartres
Guillaume Gallienne...Comte Vergennes
Clementine Poidatz...Comtesse de Provence
Molly Shannon...Anne Victorie
Steve Coogan...Count Mercy d'Argenteau
Jamie Dornan...Axel von Fersen
Rose Byrne...Yolande Martine Gabrielle de Polastron, duchesse de Poligna (Australian Actress)
Shirley Henderson...Aunt Sophie
Jean-Christophe Bouvet...Duc de Choiseul
Filppo Bozotti...Dimitri

I am looking forward to the movie's release very much as Marie Antoinette & the Court of France are two of my major historical interests.

Semisquare,

To which Louis do you referr?

"MII"

Last edited:
louis the XVII , the son of louis XVI and maria. and wasnt there a louis XVIII that became king after napolean? correct me if i am wrong because i'm not sure.

semisquare said:
louis the XVII , the son of louis XVI and maria. and wasnt there a louis XVIII that became king after napolean? correct me if i am wrong because i'm not sure.

That was Louis XVIII, brother of Louis XVI, uncle of Louis XVII. Another brother/uncle was also king, Charles XX.

tiaraprin said:
That was Louis XVIII, brother of Louis XVI, uncle of Louis XVII. Another brother/uncle was also king, Charles XX.
Actually he was Charles X, not Charles XX. :)

can someone answer my question: okay here it is- before the french revoulation and king & queen lived in versallies. were did their court live? when we tour the palace none of the rooms look like bed rooms.
pls excuse my spelling, its bad and im still trying to improve.

Anyone saw the Affair of the Necklace ? It was based on the infamous piece of jewelry that became the center of the scandal during the revolution. Hillary Swank plays a member of the deposed Valois family getting involved into a scheme against the Bourbon family.

semisquare said:
can someone answer my question: okay here it is- before the french revoulation and king & queen lived in versallies. were did their court live? when we tour the palace none of the rooms look like bed rooms.
pls excuse my spelling, its bad and im still trying to improve.

Hi semisquare,

Your are correct, the Court's primary (main) residence was the Palais or Chateau du Versailles. Wherever the King & Queen where the court would follow as was & is, dictated by tradition.

Apart from those who worked under and for the royal family, other attendants of court did not reside there unless presented with "Grace & Favour" quaters or wings. Versailles was more of a gossip hot spot known for its corrupt alliances and at times, devilish & experimental behaviours (And I am most certainly not refering to HM the Queen Consort Marie-Antoinette or anyone within the royal family for that matter). It was to become, afterall, the most corrupt Court Europe had ever seen and to this day is still known to be so.

"MII"

Last edited:
for anyone that is intrested, there are pic of the new maria antoinette movie. i dont know if kristen dunset looks like maria antoinette?

New portrait of a princess: A revolution in French thinking
Following the 250th anniversary of her birth and with a Hollywood film on the way, a more balanced view of Marie-Antoinette is emerging. John Lichfield reports.
Marie-Antoinette lives again. The last great queen of France, guillotined in 1793, threatens to make us all lose our heads in 2006. She may rival, or even eclipse, her close contemporary and fellow Austrian, Mozart, as "historical personality" of the year.
Michèle Lorin, the president of the Marie-Antoinette Association in France, confidently predicts that we are about to plunge into a warm bath of "Marie-Antoinette mania".
A much-awaited film on her pampered and troubled life at Versailles, pre-revolution - written and directed by Sofia Coppola with Kirsten Dunst in the starring role - will open this summer...................
http://news.independent.co.uk/europe/article341926.ece

Back
Top Bottom