Isabelle, Comtesse de Paris, née Princess of Orléans & Bragança (1911-2003)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks - I've always had a soft spot for her - and the little one :)

Does anybody know where to find the article by prince Michel of Greece about 'my aunt bébelle' (ma tante bébelle)? I believe the prince wrote it around the time that the countess of Paris died. I saved it to my computer, but I have lost most of my data several times since that year ;). It was a very interesting article for all I can remember.

--
Thanks for posting that link, JulieS. They have a lot of nice pictures of the princess. I esp. like the picture of her at the Trianon in Versailles with several French duchesses.

----

Telegraph obituary:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1435035/The-Countess-of-Paris.html

Last edited:
What a beautiful and dignified lady, and lovely family.

I want to learn more about the history of the pretenders to the French throne, can anyone recommend a good book in English to start with?

BTW I notice on the video they give her birthday as August 15, but on Wikipedia (I know, not reliable) they give it as August 13, which is correct? I noticed because my bday is August 13 :)

What a beautiful and dignified lady, and lovely family.

I want to learn more about the history of the pretenders to the French throne, can anyone recommend a good book in English to start with?

BTW I notice on the video they give her birthday as August 15, but on Wikipedia (I know, not reliable) they give it as August 13, which is correct? I noticed because my bday is August 13 :)

Missy, At the end of this article it is declared that Isabelle was born August 13, 1911.
Obituary: Isabelle, Comtesse de Paris | News | The Guardian

Thank you CyrilVladisla, I know it's silly but it gave me a smile to know she and I share a birthday...I'm going to have to see if I can do some research regarding biographies of her or her family in English, this is one area I haven't studied much so it will be fun. Thanks again, and thanks for posting the video!

I always enjoyed reading the late Comtesse's interviews in Point de Vue. She was ironic, funny, honest and completely without self pity. And despite the fact that she was one of the grandest of the "grandes legumes" as her good friend Queen Fabiola described important people, she never seemed to take herself seriously at all.

Lucky she was ironic and funny , bacause her life was not a happy one.

:previous: You are right. But she never engaged in self pity or bitterness. She was a grand lady in every sense.

I like the two paintings. High quality with just brush strokes.

:previous: In what year did Comtesse Isabelle receive the diadem?

You are right Stefan. The Comtesse de Paris wore a lot of Loans.

Today in Royal History is the 108th birthday of Princess Isabelle d'Orléans, Countess of Paris born Princess Isabelle Marie Amélie Louise Victoire Thérèse Jeanne of Orléans-Braganza to Dom Pedro de Alcântara of Orléans-Braganza, Prince of Grão Pará and her Bohemian noblewoman mother Countess Elisabeth Dobrzensky of Dobrzenicz. She died on 5 July 2003 (aged 91)

I don't even think the woman on the right is her. It doesn't look like her at least and it would be curious that she is not wearing a tiara while her daughter is. The woman in the middle is perhaps Pss Isabelle, now Css of Schönborn-Buchheim.

Last edited:
Today in Royal History is the 108th birthday of Princess Isabelle d'Orléans, Countess of Paris born Princess Isabelle Marie Amélie Louise Victoire Thérèse Jeanne of Orléans-Braganza to Dom Pedro de Alcântara of Orléans-Braganza, Prince of Grão Pará and her Bohemian noblewoman mother Countess Elisabeth Dobrzensky of Dobrzenicz. She died on 5 July 2003 (aged 91)

In Portuguese (using modern spelling) that would be: "Isabel Maria Amélia Luísa Vitória Teresa Joana de Orleáns-Bragança". The spelling at the time, especially with respect to the use of diacritics, was different though.

Video of the wedding of Isabelle and Henri, Count and Countess of Paris:

Back
Top Bottom