Henri, Comte de Paris (1933-2019), Head of the Royal House of France, wives & family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why did the late dowager Countess's father-in-law originally not approve the marriage as dynastic, and why did he subsequently award a personal title to her (was it in order to discourage her from using that of her husband)?
That has to do with how his son left his first wife and left her alone with 5 children from which 2 where disabled. He supported her and also gave her the Title Duchess of Montpensier. At some point he and his son reconciled and that was when he gave Micaela the Title Princess of Joinville. He also disinherited Henri and gave him a lesser Title and when they reconciled he restored his rights and Title Count of Clermont.

She was Comtesse Douairière de Paris ! and not only Princess Micaela !

That has to do with how his son left his first wife and left her alone with 5 children from which 2 where disabled. He supported her and also gave her the Title Duchess of Montpensier. At some point he and his son reconciled and that was when he gave Micaela the Title Princess of Joinville. He also disinherited Henri and gave him a lesser Title and when they reconciled he restored his rights and Title Count of Clermont.

Thanks. That makes it understandable, then, if his child(ren) were not close to his second wife, or to him for that matter. It's fortunate that his first wife was able to receive some support from her father-in-law.

To be fair, her correct title was la princesse Micaela d'Orléans née Cousino y Quiñones de León.

Any other form like "princesse de Joinville" or "la douairière comtesse de Paris" purely were titles by pretension. When I see Jean signing as "Jean, Comte de Paris" then I think pfffffff. He is le prince Jean d'Orléans. What is wrong with that grand and illustrious title?

(His father even used that ridiculous Duc de France...)

Last edited:
According her son Alexis Francis-Boeuf (he posted at his Facebook page) the funeral of the Princess Micaela will take place on Tuesday 22 March at 10 a.m. in the Church of Saint-Germain l'Auxerrois in Paris

Thank you Eya . I will see which Member of the Orléans Family will attend.

Thanks. That makes it understandable, then, if his child(ren) were not close to his second wife, or to him for that matter. It's fortunate that his first wife was able to receive some support from her father-in-law.

Indeed, Marie-Thérèse was supported by her father-in-law Henri. However, when her eldest daughter Marie married in 1989, the Duchess of Montpensier issued the invitation in her name only, omitting Marie's father (then Count of Clermont) and grandfather (the Count of Paris). This action rather alienated Marie-Thérèse from Henri the Elder, who subsequently reconciled with Henri the Younger in 1991. Neither the Count of Paris nor the Count of Clermont attended Marie's marriage, though the Countess of Paris did.

Indeed, Marie-Thérèse was supported by her father-in-law Henri. However, when her eldest daughter Marie married in 1989, the Duchess of Montpensier issued the invitation in her name only, omitting Marie's father (then Count of Clermont) and grandfather (the Count of Paris). This action rather alienated Marie-Thérèse from Henri the Elder, who subsequently reconciled with Henri the Younger in 1991. Neither the Count of Paris nor the Count of Clermont attended Marie's marriage, though the Countess of Paris did.

Wasn't there also quarrel about the place at which Marie's reliigous marriage should take place? I think the old Comte de Paris wanted it to be at Dreux but Princess Marie had already accepted the offer of Duke Carl of Württemberg to host the Wedding at Friedrichshafen.

Indeed the Comte de Paris payed the Wedding Dress and wanted a Wedding of a Princess d' Orleans at Dreux.
And then what happened ? Marie did not want her Father to be there.
Did Duchesse Marie Thérèse asked her Brother to host the Wedding at Althausen??
I don't remember

Since her Wedding Duchess Marie thérèse of Wurtenberg has her burrial place in Dreux next to her late Son François.
Her handicaped daughter Princess Blanche is not well for the moment.
The Funerals of Princess Miceala will take place in Paris and she will be burried in St Jean de Luz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is St. Jean de Luz where her husband Henri is buried? Will she at least be permitted to rest beside him?:sad:

More informations:
The religious service will be in Paris on 22 March 2022 at 10 am in the Church St Germain de l' Auxerrois. She will be burried later in St Jean de Luz .
As I wrote before Duchess Marie Therèse has her place in the Necropole of Dreux since her Wedding in 1957.

Is St. Jean de Luz where her husband Henri is buried? Will she at least be permitted to rest beside him?:sad:

I thought her husband Prince Henri d'Orléans, Chef de la Maison de France, is interred in the Chapelle Royale de Dreux.

No the late Comte de Paris is buried in the Orleans Family Crypt in Dreux.

But then we don't know if it was perhaps her wish to be buried it in St. Jean de Luz

I presume that family considered that the late compte de, Paris, can not have 2 wives buried near him and that his second wife is not really accepted by the family. I'm astonished that he did not take the relative arrangements during his living to have his beloved wife near him.

Sent from my SM-A426B using The Royals Community mobile app

King Leopold III of the Belgians has both his wives...Astrid of Sweden and 2nd wife Liliane de Rethy interred on either side of him in the Royal crypt at Laeken.

But in the case of the late Henri of course it's considerably more complicated. The first wife was abandoned in favor of the second.She did not die young and tragically like Leopold's first wife.

I agree with you that it is strange that Henri seems not to have made a different arrangement for himself and the woman he obviously considered the love of his life.

But St. Jean de Luz is very near the border with Spain, Micaela's native land. Maybe she would have been happy with the compromise of being laid to rest in her husband's country...but very near her own.

Last edited:
But the former wife is certainly not buried near him, either. So he is alone.

Was his first marriage annulled or was there a religious complication?

His first marriage was annulled. On what grounds... I have no idea.:cool:

:previous:

I don't think the grounds were ever disclosed though I think to remember having read that the reasoning was that he was forced into the marriage by his father/ De Gaulle to foster a Franco-German repproachment.

Last edited:
:previous: Somehow...I don't doubt that Henri was probably telling the truth. :sad:

Indeed this is true It was the time when General de Gaulle thought the restauration of the Monarchy and Henri and Marie Thérèse 's Wedding was glorified. General de Gaulle send personnel wishes for the Wedding into Royal Houses.
Nothing to do with the rapprochement with Germany. Un hasard !

Was his first marriage annulled or was there a religious complication?
Former wife Marie-Therese of Wurtenberg is still alive. But she had her space already "booked"
The previous Compte de Paris was a very dark and autoritaric character. He managed extremely high profile marriages for his many children (can't recall how many...)and i doubt that he asked their opinion. They conctracted marriages into many Europe royal houses, Germany italy etc.
Henry married Marie Thérèse of Wurtenberg and his sister married Marie-Theresa's brother, and she is actually THE Duchess of Wurtenberg. I think it is the only couple still married, among these arranged marriages.

Probably not near him but i guess her son the present Comte de Paris will make sure that she will be buried in the Family Crypt at Dreux.

King Leopold III of the Belgians has both his wives...Astrid of Sweden and 2nd wife Liliane de Rethy interred on either side of him in the Royal crypt at Laeken.

But in the case of the late Henri of course it's considerably more complicated. The first wife was abandoned in favor of the second.She did not die young and tragically like Leopold's first wife.

I agree with you that it is strange that Henri seems not to have made a different arrangement for himself and the woman he obviously considered the love of his life.

Actuall King Leopold III. and his two wives are all three in the same marble coffin/urn. This is also the case for King Gustaf VI. Adolf of Sweden and his 2 wives who are both buried in the same grave with him. but like in the case of King Léopold III. he was not divorced but widowed

Last edited:
Former wife Marie-Therese of Wurtenberg is still alive. But she had her space already "booked"
The previous Compte de Paris was a very dark and autoritaric character. He managed extremely high profile marriages for his many children (can't recall how many...)and i doubt that he asked their opinion. They conctracted marriages into many Europe royal houses, Germany italy etc.
Henry married Marie Thérèse of Wurtenberg and his sister married Marie-Theresa's brother, and she is actually THE Duchess of Wurtenberg. I think it is the only couple still married, among these arranged marriages.

No idea how many of these marriages have been arranged but the only other divorce among the children of the late Comte Henri sr. was the one of Princess Claude to the Duke of Aosta.

Last edited:

I had no idea!

I do remember reading that at the end of WWII Gen. De Gaulle briefly considered supporting an Orleans restoration to the French throne.

However the- then Count of Paris was far too rigid, too reactionary to have consented to the idea of a constitutional monarchy.

DeGaulle allegedly said HRH was one of the stupidest men he had ever met.:sad:

They are not at all the only still married couple:

Isabelle d'Orléans married Friedrich-Karl Graf von Schönborn-Buchheim
No divorce

Henri d'Orléans married Maria-Theresia Prinzessin von Württemberg
Divorced

Henri d'Orléans married Micaela Cousino y Quiñones de León
No divorce

Hélène d'Orléans married Évrard comte de Limburg-Stirum
No divorce

Anne d'Orléans married Carlo di Borbone-Due Sicilie, Duca di Calabria
No divorce

Diane d'Orléans married Karl Herzog von Württemberg
No divorce

Michel d'Orléans married Béatrice Pasquier de Franclieu
Divorced

Michel d'Orléans married Barbara de Bosch-Pastor
No divorce

Jacques d'Orléans married Gersende de Sabran-Pontevès
No divorce

Claude d'Orléans married Amedeo di Savoia-Aosta, Duca di Aosta
Divorced

Claude d'Orléans married Arnaldo La Cagnina
Divorced

Claude d'Orléans married Enrico Gandolfi
No divorce

Chantal d'Orléans married François-Xavier de Sambucy de Sorgue
No divorce

Thibaut d'Orléans married Marion Gordon-Orr
No divorce

They are not at all the only still married couple:

Isabelle d'Orléans married Friedrich-Karl Graf von Schönborn-Buchheim

No divorce

Henri d'Orléans married Maria-Theresia Prinzessin von Württemberg

Divorced

Henri d'Orléans married Micaela Cousino y Quiñones de León

No divorce

Hélène d'Orléans married Évrard comte de Limburg-Stirum

No divorce

Anne d'Orléans married Carlo di Borbone-Due Sicilie, Duca di Calabria

No divorce

Diane d'Orléans married Karl Herzog von Württemberg

No divorce

Michel d'Orléans married Béatrice Pasquier de Franclieu

Divorced

Michel d'Orléans married Barbara de Bosch-Pastor

No divorce

Jacques d'Orléans married Gersende de Sabran-Pontevès

No divorce

Claude d'Orléans married Amedeo di Savoia-Aosta, Duca di Aosta

Divorced

Claude d'Orléans married Arnaldo La Cagnina

Divorced

Claude d'Orléans married Enrico Gandolfi

No divorce

Chantal d'Orléans married François-Xavier de Sambucy de Sorgue

No divorce

Thibaut d'Orléans married Marion Gordon-Orr

No divorce
Thanks a lot. I had not such a detailed information.
I don't know how the then Compte de Paris reacted to her daughter's divorce and her losing the title of Duchess of Aosta. But for his son's divorce from duchess of Wurtenberg and his remarriage, his reaction was extremely strong. He deprived his from his title and money

Thanks a lot. I had not such a detailed information.
I don't know how the then Compte de Paris reacted to her daughter's divorce and her losing the title of Duchess of Aosta. But for his son's divorce from duchess of Wurtenberg and his remarriage, his reaction was extremely strong. He deprived his from his title and money

But that had also to do how he left her alone with 5 children from which 2 where disabled.

Don't know about the Aosta divorce.

Back
Top Bottom