France: Kings, Queens and Royal History

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Videos about the history of the French monarchy:

A painting by Raymond Auguste Quinsac Monvoisin,
La Mort de/The death of Charles IX and painted in 1834.

Charles IX who is not long from death under pressure from his mother Queen Catherine to sign a number of death warrants and the terrified king is being comforted by his wife, Elisabeth of Austria.

751px-MonvoisinCharlesIX.jpg

Philippe de France, Duc d'Orleans (1640-1701) was the brother of King Louis XIV of France.

King Francis I of France was a rival of Holy Roman Emperor Charles V.

Princess Bathilde d'Orleans (1750-1822) was the aunt of Louis Philippe I, King of the French.

Princess Bathilde d'Orleans (1750-1822) was the aunt of Louis Philippe I, King of the French.

Bathilde d'Orléans,Princess of Condé survived the Revolution and was imprisoned in the Fort Saint-Jean in Marseille but later released and was exiled to Spain.
Her residence in Paris was none other than the Élysée Palace
but in 18158 the Princess was forced to exchange it for the Hôtel de Matignon in Paris.
Louis XVIII used the Élysée Palace to host guests of the royal family.

This visit took place in 1574 when Henri III was returning to France as king and at his leisure following the death of his brother Charles IX in May that year.
Henri III had been elected King of Poland and Grand Duke of Lithuania in 1573.
During his lengthy absence his mother Queen Catherine ruled France as Queen Regent.

Elizabeth (Isabella) of Hainaut (1170-1190), Queen of France, was the wife of King Philip II of France.
She was just a girl when she arrived at the French court.

Elizabeth (Isabella) of Hainaut (1170-1190), Queen of France, was the wife of King Philip II of France.
She was just a girl when she arrived at the French court.

Isabella was Countess of Artois in her own right ,following her death in 1190,Artois merged with the French Crown.

Louise Of Savoy - Negociator Of The Treaty Of Cambrai

"...Louise de Savoie was born on September 11, 1476 at the Château de Pont-d'Ain and died on September 22, 1531 in Grez-sur-Loing. She was a princess of the ducal house of Savoy, and she is the mother of François I of France. Louise played a major role during the reign of her son. Twice regent of the Kingdom of France, she held a political role that allowed her to negotiate the Treaty of Cambrai, also known as the Ladies Peace."

Louise Of Savoy - Negociator Of The Treaty Of Cambrai

The French king sent his mother Louise de Savoie to negotiate the Paix des Dames (Ladies' Peace) as it was known with her sister in law ,the Archduchess Margaret of Austria was the Imperial Regent or Governor the the Low Countries.
The French king's sister,Marguerite also had a minor role but mainly there to support her mother.
It was essentially the final act by Louise who was in poor health and she died on the 22nd of September 1531.

359px-La_Mode_par_l%E2%80%99Image_%E2%80%93_22_%E2%80%93_Louise_de_Savoie.jpg

Philip Augustus, King of France after the Battle of Bouvines
http://www.lookandlearn.com/history-images/M239562

[/CENTER]

The battle was fought in Flanders on the 27th of July 1214 and was a French victory and one of the most symbolic battles in the history of France.
It ended the Anglo-French War (1213–1214) ,the French actually invaded England and king John also lost the majority of his Angevin lands.

Last edited:
I'm looking at this interesting new historical royals video that just came up this week and realized it should be shared here in the French history section. Enjoy!

Soissons: The post-Roman Kingdom which (probably) never existed.
Rise of the Merovingians

Fascinating to watch the development and enlargement of the kingdom of France over the years from the Ille de France onwards.

Back
Top Bottom