France: Kings, Queens and Royal History

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
September 5th,1187-Anniversary of the birth of future Louis VIII (The Lion)

Louis8lelion.jpg

:previous:
Louis VIII is, to me, one of the most interesting French Kings. Not to mention, he's the only French Monarch who became King of England as well (even if the Treaty of Lambeth concluded he had never been a legitimate King). Had John I not died at the height of Louis' triumphs (making most English barons switch allegiance in favour of young Henry III), who knows, maybe there would be union of English and French Crowns?

His wife, Blanche of Castile, was even more fascinating: she was Queen (Regnant) of France in all but name not only during her Regency, but even after Louis IX came of age. And she certainly was more able than quite a few Kings before and after her.

Louis VIII is, to me, one of the most interesting French Kings. Not to mention, he's the only French Monarch who became King of England as well (even if the Treaty of Lambeth concluded he had never been a legitimate King). Had John I not died at the height of Louis' triumphs (making most English barons switch allegiance in favour of young Henry III), who knows, maybe there would be union of English and French Crowns?

His wife, Blanche of Castile, was even more fascinating: she was Queen (Regnant) of France in all but name not only during her Regency, but even after Louis IX came of age. And she certainly was more able than quite a few Kings before and after her.

I agree Artemisia,Louis VIII is highly interesting.Though his reign was brief he did have some legacy in the form of Blanche,Louis IX and Isabelle de France!

12 September 1494-Anniversary of the birth of King François Ie

The only son of Charles, Count of Angoulême and Louise of Savoy was born at the Château de Cognac.

Fran%C3%A7ois_1515.jpg

22 September 1601-Anniversary of the Birth of Anne of Austria,queen of Louis XIII and mother of Louis XIV of France.

492px-AnnaofAustria01.jpg

12th of October 1328- Anniversary of the death of Clémence de Hongrie,Queen of Louis X of France.

376px-Cl%C3%A9mence_d%27Anjou.jpg

16 October 1793-Anniversary of the Execution of Marie Antoinette of Austria

Tomb Effigies of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette at Saint Denis Basilica outside Paris.

800px-Louis_XVI_et_Marie-Antoinette.jpg

The future Henri II married Catherine de'Medici in Marseille on 28 October 1533,the Ceremony was performed by Catherine's cousin,Pope Clement VII.

Henri_%26_Catherine.jpg

Royal Anniversary -6 November 1836,Death of ex-King Charles X in exile

Charles_X_Roi_de_France_et_de_Navarre.jpg

Royal Anniversary -8th of November 1226,Death of Louis VIII the Lion,King of France and Count of Artois.

Louis8lelion.jpg

Royal Anniversary-13th of November,1810 -Death of Marie Joséphine of Savoy,wife of Louis XVIII.

Marie Joséphine of Savoy died in exile in England only a few years before the Bourbon Restoration.

420px-Marie_Jos%C3%A9phine_Louise_de_Savoie%2C_comtesse_de_Provence.jpg

Royal Anniversary -17 November 1755,birth of future Louis XVIII of France and Navarre.

Maurice_Quentin_de_La_Tour%2C_Portrait_de_Louis_Stanislas_Xavier_de_France%2C_comte_de_Provence_%281762%29.jpg

Royal Anniversary - 18 November 1154,Death of Adelaide of Maurienne

Adelaide of Maurienne was the second wife of King Louis VI of France,she died at the abbey of Montmartre near Paris where she was buried.Her tomb was destroyed in 1793 during the Revolution.

Adelaidesavojska.jpg

Royal Anniversary-27 November 1252,Death of Blanche of Castile

Queen of Louis VIII and Regent for her son,Louis IX.Blanche was buried at the Abbaye Maubuisson northwest of Paris which she founded.

450px-Blanche_de_Castille.JPG

Royal Anniversary-29th of November,1314 - Death of Philippe le Bel IV of France.

Philippe was also joint sovereign of Navarre and Champagne from 1284 until 1305 by his marriage to Queen Jeanne I of Navarre.

Filippoilbello.gif

Royal Anniversary-29th of November,1463 -Death of Marie d'Anjou.

Queen of Charles VII,Marie was buried at Saint Denis outside Paris,her tomb was destroyed in 1793 when the Royal tombs were ransacked and desecrated.

MarieAnjou_tomb.jpg

Royal Anniversary-December 1st,1483 - Death of Charlotte de Savoie.

Queen of Louis XI and mother of Charles VIII,Anne de France and Jeanne de France.Charlotte did not outlive her husband long,she died on 3 months after Louis XI at Amboise on the Loire.

Charlotte_de_savoie_1.jpg

Royal Anniversary-December 5th,1560-Death of François II

Upon the death of François II his mother,Catherine de Médicis was appointed Regent of France for her second son,Charles IX.

François II and Mary Queen of Scots.

Francois_Second_Mary_Stuart.jpg

Royal Anniversary-December 13th,1553-Birth of future Henry IV of France and III of Navarre.

Henrinavarre.jpg

My favourite French Monarch. I was reading a biography of his just recently and it's quite astonishing to follow his path from an (apparently) airhead young Prince who married Marguerite of Navarre, to one of the greatest Kings of France (if not THE greatest).

My favourite French Monarch. I was reading a biography of his just recently and it's quite astonishing to follow his path from an (apparently) airhead young Prince who married Marguerite of Navarre, to one of the greatest Kings of France (if not THE greatest).

A favourite of mine too!

His mother,Jeanne d'Albret was one haughty Madame,I was reading how Catherine de Médicis got great pleasure when Jeanne got in a huff over being slighted by the Spanish Ambassador as simply 'Madame de Vendôme' (widow of the late Duke) and not 'Madame la Reine' (Philip II regarded himself as Monarch of Navarre and not Jeanne).When Jeanne complained over this slight to Catherine ,she apparently burst into fits of laughter and Jeanne stomped off in a huff!

Henri IV of France and III of Navarre married Marie de Medici on December 17th,1600.

Heinrich_Vierte_Frankreich_Hochzeit.jpg

Louis XII of France died on January 1st,1515

407px-Luis_XII_de_Francia_y_Carlomagno.jpg

Following the death of Louis XII,the reign of François I began on January 1st 1515.

Jean_Du_Tillet_-_Fran%C3%A7oisIer_-_Recueil_des_rois_de_France.jpg

Royal Anniversary - January 5th,1589 - Death of Catherine de Médicis,Queen of France at Blois.

Catherine_de_Medicis.jpg

Royal Anniversary : January 9th, 1514 – Death of Anne of Brittany,Queen of both Charles VIII and Louis XII.

Funeral_Anne_Bretagne.jpg

Royal Anniversary : January 14th,1273 -Birth of Jeanne Ier de Navarre,Countess of Champagne and Queen Consort of France.

JeanneINavarre.jpg

Back
Top Bottom