The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > Royal Families of France

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-01-2010, 08:19 AM
Aristocracy

Her grandfather being .... Lorenzo the Magnificent.... so her roots
go back to the glory days of the Italian Renaissance....
During the 1500s France and the arts were becoming
more important while Italy was on the decline.
I read that Catherine was deeply into the occult...
perhaps it would nt be an exageration to call her a witch !

Old 02-02-2010, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

She was interested in astrology,but a lot of myths have clung to Catherine's tainted memory.She was no more of a 'witch' than Elizabeth I who also dabbled with the occult.

Catherine's mother was a French noble,Madeleine de la Tour d'Auvergne.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Aristocracy

Catherine's policies, therefore, may be seen as desperate measures to keep the Valois monarchy on the throne at all costs, and her spectacular patronage of the arts as an attempt to glorify a monarchy whose prestige was in steep decline.
Without Catherine, it is unlikely that her sons would have remained in power. The years in which they reigned have been called "the age of Catherine de' Medici"
Old 02-02-2010, 11:05 AM
Serene Highness

Wasn't Catherine also a niece of the Pope?
Old 02-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
Wasn't Catherine also a niece of the Pope?
She was a cousin of Pope Clement VII ,the Pope who defied Henry VIII.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
Catherine's policies, therefore, may be seen as desperate measures to keep the Valois monarchy on the throne at all costs, and her spectacular patronage of the arts as an attempt to glorify a monarchy whose prestige was in steep decline.
Without Catherine, it is unlikely that her sons would have remained in power. The years in which they reigned have been called "the age of Catherine de' Medici"
Catherine was way ahead of her time,she granted French Protestants (Huguenots) far more religious freedom than Elizabeth I offered her Catholic subjects .

She protected the Huguenots as long as they were loyal,she banned the burning of Protestants & issued several edicts granting them limited religious freedom .

By contrast,the Huguenot Queen of Navarre,Jeanne III d'Albret persecuted her Catholic subjects but complained to Catherine that she did not offer French Protestants enough religious freedom !!
Old 02-02-2010, 02:57 PM
Aristocracy

Hi,

Catherine De Medici introduced ballet and opera into the French Court, which was later expanded by Louis XIV.
She also had a great deal to do with expanding the design of French gardening, influenced by the Italian method and some tropical plants.

Larry
Old 02-02-2010, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Indeed,The Ballet Comique de la Reine is now considered to have been the first ballet.It was staged in 1581.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballet_Comique_de_la_Reine

Some more on the Court Festivals of Catherine de Médicis ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catheri...ourt_festivals
Old 02-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Aristocracy

Very glad to see admirers of Queen Catherine de Medicis, one of the best regents France has known, as a French royalist I am very grateful to her.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thribette View Post
Very glad to see admirers of Queen Catherine de Medicis, one of the best regents France has known, as a French royalist I am very grateful to her.
She was in my opinion one of the Greatest of the French Queen's.The French Kingdom was blessed with many gifted & wise Regents,from Blanche of Castile,Anne de France to Louise de Savoie .

Ps I read that Queen Catherine de Médicis had many Irish nobles at her court,I'm also very grateful to her.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Henri IV

King Henri IV's head verified

Wednesday 15th December 2010

France's King Henri IV is to be buried 400 years after his assassination.
Researchers have confirmed a mummified head, long thought to be the king's, is in fact his and will be buried at the royal basilica of Saint-Denis.

Henri had been assassinated in 1610, but the head was removed following the execution of King Louis XVI, which led to the burial grounds of previous monarchs being targeted.

Researchers have verified the mummified head by comparing it to sculptures and portraits taken of the king while alive. The head had been well-preserved by previous owners, and historians were able to match similarities with a mole on the right nostril and an earring hole on the right earlobe.

King Henri IV's head verified - Female First
Old 12-16-2010, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Prince Luis Alfonso de Bourbon, Duke of Anjou at a press conference presenting the results
of a study after a panel of forensic scientists identified the royal head of murdered French
king (killed at the age of 57 on May 14, 1610, by a fanatic who waylaid him during a procession
and slashed him twice in the throat), one of France's most adored kings, who promoted religious
tolerance, who was a hit with the ladies and who was the first to dream of putting a chicken
in every pot. December 16, 2010 in Paris, France.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** belga gallery **
Old 01-18-2011, 05:22 PM

Hi I'm french. Friday January 21th it's the anniversary of the death of our french king
Louis XVI (which I an assassinate)
Vive le Roy
Old 01-18-2011, 05:23 PM

[QUOTE="De Lantenac"]Hi I'm french. Friday January 21th it's the anniversary of the death of our french king
Louis XVI (which Is an assassinate)
Vive le Roy
Thanks
Old 01-19-2011, 04:01 PM
Courtier

was his name ORLEANS?
Old 01-19-2011, 05:07 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilla
was his name ORLEANS?
No he was Louis Auguste de France. He was of the House of Bourbon.
The Orleans title was I **think** that of a Dukedom.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:09 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilla
was his name ORLEANS?
Louis Auguste de France. He was of the House of Bourbon. I **think** Orleans is a Dukedom.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:10 AM
Courtier

Thank you, Lady Deborah, and have a nice day.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Lantenac View Post
Hi I'm french. Friday January 21th it's the anniversary of the death of our french king
Louis XVI (which I an assassinate)
Vive le Roy
Vive le Roi !
Old 02-21-2011, 07:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillW65 View Post
This has always caused me confusion. Charlemagne (Charles The Great) as King of the Franks is always counted as a "King of France" in many of the books I have. Therefore there were 11 kings by the name Charles if you count Charlemagne. The Kingdom of the Franks composed what is now modern France and parts of modern Germany and the low countries. If the kings of France are counted from the treaty of Verdun in 843 which broke up the Carolingian empire then yes, there were only 10 kings named Charles (we'd also have to exclude Louis I in that scenario..causing further discrepancies). What really causes me confusion: Is the Kingdom of the Franks a separate entity (or kingdom) from what later evolved into the modern Kingdom of France, or is it the ancient Kingdom of the Franks the same as the Kingdom of France? I'm confused and I have a degree in European history!!
I am confused as well, as one of the sources on this thread (Wikipedia) clearly states that Charlemagne is numbered Charles I in the French regnal system.

If it is in error, I can edit that out, but then I'd have to edit 10 other wiki's - as Wikipedia (as well as Encyclopedia Britannica) lists Charles the Bald as Charles II.

I was always taught (minored in European history) that Charlemagne, Charles the Great, was Charles I.

I am very interested in Charlemagne, especially in the linguistic turn that Frankish took when he settled in northern Gaul/Merovingia/Francia. The previous Celtic language co-existed with Charlemagne's Frankish/Germanic tongue. At that time, Celtic and Germanic weren't as widely separated as they would later become. Both had absorbed Latin words, of course - especially Frankish.

But how this situation evolved into modern French, I do not know. But I am guessing the Charlemagne's language would still be partly intelligible to French-speaking people today.

Karlaz (his name) was from the Frankish/Germanic side - for Free Man or Man. However, it quickly came to mean "King" in several other languages, all because of his actions. He is a great example of a common man who rose to great heights and founded a royal dynasty with vast historical significance.

I never tire of reading more about him, but I'm not sure where I'd go to see documents from his day (or reproductions of them). At any rate (and here, the Wikipedia article is pretty good), he was apparently born in a region of linguistic diversity (three languages spoken locally) and he must have been proficient at all three (my view). It seems unlikely that he would have learned to read and write, as a child, and mostly wore ordinary clothing. But there must surely be courtly documents from his day. I am going to get to visit the French National Archives this spring, so I was hoping to find something from his era there. Perhaps a quixotic quest.

Tags
catherine de' medici, charles ix, francis ii, henry ii, henry iii