France: Kings, Queens and Royal History

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mknyazev

Commoner
City
Moscow
Country
Russia
Images of French Queens

I'd appreciate images of any French Queens Consorts esp. medieval and of the 16-19 cent. Clementia of Hungary, Anna de Baujeau etc. The more, the better.

lets play true or false
Catherine de Medici-was she really in a loveless marrage?
Maria Leszczyńska,-did she die because the doctors bleed her to death?
Eugenia de Montijo-was she from the house of haspburgs?
Marie de Medici-she had a husband and her lover was killed by her brother?

I'll try to answer to some questions here::D
-Catherine de Medici: she loved her husband (they both were 14 when they were married!!) Henri II, but he was in love with the beautiful Diane de Poitiers, who was 19 years his senior.
-Empress Eugénie: she was not a Habsburg, but was born a Grande of Spain, from an noble Irish mother (Kirkpatrick of Closeburn).

To mknyazev: Anne de Beaujeau was not a consort Queen, but only Regent of France during her brother King Charles VIII's minority. She was King Louis XI's daughter, and sister-in-law to Duchess Anne of Bretagne, who married Charles VIII, then his successor Louis XII.

A portrait of Anne of France, Duchess of Beaujeu (Worldroots): http://worldroots.com/brigitte/gifs3/annebeaujeu.jpg

Duchess Anne of Bretagne, twice Queen consort of France:
http://catherine.beneville.free.fr/personnalites/images/anne_bretagne.jpg

Claude of France, first spouse of François I:
http://driout.club.fr/Claude-de-France.jpg

Eleonore of Habsburg, second spouse of François I(Worldroots):
http://worldroots.com/brigitte/gifs4/habs046.jpg

Mary, Queen of Scots, spouse of François II:
http://expositions.bnf.fr/renais/images/3/071bis.jpg

Elisabeth of Austria, spouse of Charles IX:
http://www.columbia.edu/itc/barnard/theater/kirkland/3136/Renaissance%20Gallery/images/1570.jpg

Louise of Lorraine-Vaudemont, spouse of Henri III:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2d/Louise_Lorraine.jpg

Anne of Austria, Infanta of Spain, spouse of Louis XIII:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/fr/3/3e/Anne_d_autriche.jpg

Marie-Thérèse of Habsburg, consort of Louis XIV:
http://www.ac-strasbourg.fr/pedago/lettres/Victor%20Hugo/Notes/Marie_Therese.jpg

Marie-Antoinette of Austria, consort of Louis XVI:
http://www.ac-nancy-metz.fr/Pres-etab/CollHurleventHayange/JL/sites/versailles/images/la%20reine.jpg

none of their clothings looks confortable,it looks pretty but very heavy and did women have long hair in medival days?

marie-leszczynska-2-sized.jpg

Opalinska.jpg

Queen Marie Leczinska

The Alençons

Have anyone information about the Alencons today? :confused:
Thanks for answers :) !

No Alençons, no news

Preity said:
Have anyone information about the Alencons today? :confused:
Thanks for answers :) !
I'm sorry Preity but I don't understand your question, and it appears other members don't either.

If you're referring to the Orléans Alençons, the last Duke died in 1910; his only son the Duke of Vendôme died in 1931, and his only son Charles-Philippe, Duke of Nemours and Duke of Vendôme and Alençon, died childless in 1970.

So if this is the family you are referring to, there is no news today. :)

Yes, I mean the Orleans-Alencons.:)
But thanks for the information. That was what I wanted to know. :)
Preity

Fun Fact

Actually, the last Louis de Bourbon recorded was Louis XX, which is kind of odd that realatives would think to name children Louis after the Revolution.

Women usually always had long hair until the 1910s or the 1920s. And for queens and princesses, and other richer ladies too, of course, wigs and extra hair was common.

Yeah more french royalty chit chat!!

Why was he called "man made of glass"?

wow they were so mean back then!! I am amazed at how people seem to worship or idolize symbols of the past.

Harry's polo shirt said:
wow they were so mean back then!! I am amazed at how people seem to worship or idolize symbols of the past.

The past is was defines us.
We did not grow up in a vacuum and the same worship applies when Republics idolize those who created them. Just think, isn't Lenin's mumified body still out there in an exhibit? Don't we have in Mt. Rushmore USA the heads of former Presidents sculpted on a mountain?

Last edited:
Harry's polo shirt said:
Yeah more french royalty chit chat!!

Why was he called "man made of glass"?

Because Charles used to think he was made of glass and that if people came too near him he would break. Thus he insisted that iron rods should be inserted into his clothing to prevent him from breaking.

Le Comte de Chambord

He was the grandson of King of France Charles X.
Per 1830 he has been compelled to leave from France for exile.
Unfortunately, I know nothing about this successor of the French Kings. Somebody will tell to me about his? How he lived in exile whom he married, whether there are at children?

Last edited:
The Comte de Chambord is a glorious figure for French Legitimists, but certainly not for French Monarchists. Single-handedly, in his refusal to acknowledge le drapeau tricolore, the supremecy of the people in a 'democratic' state, or the legitimacy of the Orléans succession, he torpedoed any chance of the restoration of the Bourbon dynasty.

Henri, Duc de Bordeaux, Comte de Chambord, was born in 1820, the son of Charles, Duc de Berry (who was assassinated at the Paris Opera House in the year of his son's birth), and grandson of Charles X, King of France and Navarre. His mother was Princess Caroline, daughter of Francesco I, King of the Two Sicilies.

Charles X abdicated in 1830, was momentarily succeeded by his eldest son Louis (XIX), who was immediately followed by the Comte de Chambord as Henri (V).
As a consequence of the revolution of 1830 the throne passed from the direct line of the House of Bourbon to the Duke d'Orléans, who became Louis Philippe I, King of the French and Head of the House of Orléans.
On the death of Louis (XIX) in 1844 the Comte became Head of the Royal House of France.

The Comte de Chambord married Marie Therese (1817-1886), daughter of Francesco IV, Duke of Modena and Archduke of Austria.
He died in 1883. There were no children of the marriage.

One very interesting opinion exists about the grandson of King of France Charles X.
In 1870th years he made demands obviously unacceptable for the French society because he did not wish to borrow a throne in the country where there were so much revolts and revolutions?
Or I am not absolutely right?

Last edited:
:previous:
Oh, he wanted the throne all right. But the throne of an absolutist King modelled on the ancien regime.
The Comte de Chambord was one of those Bourbons "who never learned".

Last edited:
The teacher of this French royal successor was the daughter of the Louis XVI and Maria-Antoinette as Henry V has early remained without parents. It has played the certain role in outlook of last representative of the French royal dynasty?

Ten French kings have held the name Charles through the history of France being an monarchy I can't remember their periods of reign but I know that were ten kings with that name.

Next Star said:
Ten French kings have held the name Charles through the history of France being an monarchy I can't remember their periods of reign but I know that were ten kings with that name.

That's right, there were 10 French kings, named Charles.

Charles I (Charles the Bald - king from 843 to 877), the founder of Carolingian dynasty
Charles II (Charles the Fat - king from 885 to 888), also from the Carolingian dynasty
Charles III (Charles the Simple - king from 898 to 922), another king from Carolingian dynasty
Charles IV (king from 1322 to 1328), the last King of the Capetian Dynasty
Charles V (king from 1364 to 1380), King from the Dynasty of Valois
Charles VI (king from 1380 to 1422), from the Dynasty of Valois
Charles VII (king from 1422 to 1461), also from the House of Valois
Charles VIII (king from 1483 to 1498), King from the House of Valois
Charles IX (king from 1560 to 1574) from the House of Valois (Valois-Angouleme branch)
Charles X (King from 1824 to 1830) - from the restored Bourbon dynasty.

That's amazing how four of the ten Kings' Of France named Charles succeeded one after another most the time the successor has a totally different name from the predsuccessor. The French royals bring rich history and tales of the monarchy and domain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Next Star said:
That's amazing how four of the ten Kings' Of France named Charles succeeded one after another.
By my count there are three: Charles V, VI and VII.

Okay their three and I am not perfect but they succeeded one after other.
Warren said:
By my count there are three: Charles V, VI and VII.

That's right, there were 10 French kings, named Charles.

Charles I (Charles the Bald - king from 843 to 877), the founder of Carolingian dynasty
Charles II (Charles the Fat - king from 885 to 888), also from the Carolingian dynasty
Charles III (Charles the Simple - king from 898 to 922), another king from Carolingian dynasty
Charles IV (king from 1322 to 1328), the last King of the Capetian Dynasty
Charles V (king from 1364 to 1380), King from the Dynasty of Valois
Charles VI (king from 1380 to 1422), from the Dynasty of Valois
Charles VII (king from 1422 to 1461), also from the House of Valois
Charles VIII (king from 1483 to 1498), King from the House of Valois
Charles IX (king from 1560 to 1574) from the House of Valois (Valois-Angouleme branch)
Charles X (King from 1824 to 1830) - from the restored Bourbon dynasty.

This has always caused me confusion. Charlemagne (Charles The Great) as King of the Franks is always counted as a "King of France" in many of the books I have. Therefore there were 11 kings by the name Charles if you count Charlemagne. The Kingdom of the Franks composed what is now modern France and parts of modern Germany and the low countries. If the kings of France are counted from the treaty of Verdun in 843 which broke up the Carolingian empire then yes, there were only 10 kings named Charles (we'd also have to exclude Louis I in that scenario..causing further discrepancies). What really causes me confusion: Is the Kingdom of the Franks a separate entity (or kingdom) from what later evolved into the modern Kingdom of France, or is it the ancient Kingdom of the Franks the same as the Kingdom of France? I'm confused and I have a degree in European history!!:bang::lol:

Sorry, but that's not correct.:)
In France Carlemagne is also called Charles I. le Grand (Charles I. the Great/Karl I. der Große - king of the Franks from 768 to 814, 800 roman emperor)
Charles II. le Chauve (Charles II. the Bald/Karl II. der Kahle - king of West Francia from 843 to 877, roman emperor 875)
As king of East and West Francia Charles (III.) le Gros (Charles the Fat/Karl der Dicke - king from 876 to 888, roman emperor 881) has no number. But as roman emperor he was the third ruler who was called Charles.
Charles III. le Simple (Karl III. the Simple/Karl III. der Einfältige - king of West Francia from 893 to 929)
|
\/
see the other rulers of West Fancia (France/Frankreich)​

I hope you can read my english. This is not correct, I know.:blush::germanyflag:

Back
Top Bottom