France and Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some people like knowing that they can actually chose who they want their leader to be and that is what France is doing as a republic we know if they were to cange the consititution and restore the monarchy again they would not have the change at being able to do that.

Next Star, I respect your opinion. It saddens me to see the country in a mess. France needs major reform. I may be biased, but I do still believe going back to a monarchy can atleast save France and renew the country. I have been a supporter of the restoration as has my family forever.

To everybody, please remind the following:

it is not a politic topic; thus it is not allowed to discuss of the current problems of France or of which kind of reform the country need. It is a topic about the probability of a restauration of the french monarchy, and that is all. If you want to discuss of french politics, please go on a forum dedicated to tis subject.

Danielane, for the Moderating team

A country whith the breathtaking history like France, it would be great to see this country as a monarchy.

But like most of the other people here, i do not think it will ever happen.

If the monarchy is ever restored in france I will be the first tourist to stand outside the new residence of the King/Queen and sing the new royal anthem.

marquisdaulnois said:
Next Star, I respect your opinion. It saddens me to see the country in a mess. France needs major reform. I may be biased, but I do still believe going back to a monarchy can atleast save France and renew the country. I have been a supporter of the restoration as has my family forever.

France has not been a monarchy in thousands of years. I did not see it changing any time soon. Nice if they would allow to have a monarchy being their are only a few since left in the world bringing the list up for 30 to 31.
Most moanrch have no power or authority to the nation which it sad the monarch would still be a ceremonial figure I would guess unless the consititution states that the monarch has a little power or authority to rule over the nation instead just reigning.

Next Star said:
France has not been a monarchy in thousands of years....

France has not been Monarchy for only 137 years. The last Emperor of France (Napoleon III) reigned from 1852 to 1870.

Avalon said:
France has not been Monarchy for only 137 years. The last Emperor of France (Napoleon III) reigned from 1852 to 1870.

Okay not thousands of years but hundereds of years it still has been many,many years since France has a monarchy as it's government.

Secret talks between Mitterand and Chirac

Long time ago when Francois Mitterand was still President of the Republic of France, he secretly together with the next president Jacques Chirac held talks about the possibility to restore a monarchy in France.

They agreed that the future France was only possible in that way, not only for the crisis in their country but also to turn around the most black page in France's history, the killing of its King and King in 1793.

I am in knowledge that they asked the former Count de Paris, Henri d'Orléans if he was willing to become the King of the new Monarchy.
But he refused because he said that descendantes of Louis XVI where still there, safe and in good health.

After that they put their plans back into darkness.

One day, when France and Europe is ready to face the trueth, the succesor will show up end restore the Capetian monarchy.

The only question left is: " Is Rome ready to give up his secrecy and prepared to bring its archive in public?"

Jurgen Schalck
Spokesman of the family de Bourbon - Rombout

Well, good people, the idea of the restoration of our Bourbon friends is nothing short of mindboggling if not hilarious outright. If you think France is a mess today, and who am I to argue, think of what it was like under poor Louis XVI. Talk about a man in completely over his head!!! And then there was that poor twit spoiled little rich girl Maria Antonia the Austrian (explitive deleted) who really did not deserve her fate, nor did her husband. Then we had the idiot Charles X, not to mention which Bourbon was who after the debacle of 1870 refused the throne of France because he would have had to accept the tricolour. For God's sake, you would refuse the throne of France because of a red, white and blue piece of cloth??? Then we have the nitwit Comte de Paris who sold off all those fabulous tiaras etc.

I would love to be Roi de France. With Sapphire and diamond crown and regalia, I could rebuild the French crown jewels into the most magnificent collection in the world. One could live at Versailles, with palaces in Paris and in the Loire valley, I just love the Loire. All the magnificent pomp and circumstance with some drop dead lovely queen at my side bedecked to the gills with jewels to out do even the overdone Queen Mary. And at my ripe old age to start having dauphins, it would be a riot. Ah, good people, I must quit dreaming. You see it is the 102 degree Farenheit heat here in Columbia SC and all the chocolate. Cheers.

Talking about the crown jewels

There is no need ever to rebuild the crown of France, because the Crown is still existing, the only thing is it is being kept in safety between the community of what we call in belgium " vrijmetselarij".

These crown and other jewels came in the hands of the Marques of Lede Emmanuel de Bette who get killed five days later.
One tidbit: the Marques of Lede worked for the godfather of Louis Charles de Bourbon, de King of Spain.

And what you mention about Marie-Antoinette, if the cardinal de Rohan did not set up the complot together with the lady de Valois it would never have come to that terrible end, for which France still fiels guilty.

Jurgen Schalck

Perhaps you could post some evidence behind the stories you are telling here? I don´t think (m)any of us ever heard this before, so it would improve the credibility of your story a lot.

The former French crown jewels are on display in the Louvre museum btw.

Vive Le Roi!

Hello everyone!
I wish i could see the French monarchy ruling again. It'd be splendid especially for a country that has glorious history like France. Vive La Monarchie! Vive Le Roi! :flowers:

A country whith the breathtaking history like France, it would be great to see this country as a monarchy.

But like most of the other people here, i do not think it will ever happen.
Yes, it's so possible like this that for example US some day become a monarchy...

royalone3 said:
The French always have Monaco.
But the French president (with the Bishop of Urgell, Spain) is the co-prince of Andorra in a duumvirate.

Last edited:
Is there anybody left from the past Royal dynasties (i.e., Valois or Bourbon) that can claim the French throne? Or any other noble family that wants to rule France?

Al_Bina, the Valois extincted totally by male descent in 1589; then, the Bourbons were called to the throne, as the next capetian branch. Today, the only (legitimate) capetians left are Bourbons, but there are more than 100 dynast males among them.

I'd say as much of a chance as the probability of the restoration of the Tudor family (or what's left of it) to the throne in Britain. Or, as much of a chance as Indonesia begging the Netherlands to take them back as a colony. In other words, None. None whatsoever. Thank goodness.

Of course, I've learned in life to 'never say never', so time will tell and no one can predict the future. But boy do I NOT hope that France will be a monarchy again. It sure seems as if the blue blooded folks in that country are uptight and elitist enough as it is--actually come to think of it, perhaps that is because they have a chip on their shoulder as the country is 'throneless'?! And why oh why of all things to wish in the world would you want the French throne restored? What's in it for you? You don't have a stake in 'Point de Vue' or Voici, now do you? ;)

What's left of the Tudor family is on the throne in Britain, at least partly: Margaret Tudor's descendants are. Mary, Duchess of Suffolk, also had descendants, who married into the nobility of England.

The French will always remember that the Capetians reigned in France during 800 years and that France knew its apogee, the golden age of its power under the reign of Louis XIV the Great. At that time, France was very respected in the whole world. Impossible to compare with the current disorder and the decline in which the Republicans put France. We do not know even anymore by whom our country is governed!

The French remember and know that after the inescapable collapse of the Republican institutions, the restoration of the Monarchy will be the unique alternative.

Par la Grâce de Dieu, Louis-le-14ème.

Louis XIV also bankrupted the country and exploited the common people. I mean no offense. Also, France as a Republic is very respected in the whole world today, at least so far as I see.

Louis XIV did not bankrupt the country, and did not exploit the common people, I think, far the contrary.
His reign suffered a kind of a glaciation, with 20 years of very strong cold in the winters, particularly in 1709, with the seeds unadapted to such cold. In addition, in 1792-1793, terrible rains destroy the crops.
The price of flour was multiplicated by 5, of course the poorest peasants (about 1/2 of the population) could not afford them. They had only vegetables to eat, and so did their pork, which in consequence was less fat, and as the wealthiest peasants had only enough to buy food, nor them could afford the ordinary textiles made buy the peasants' wives and by plant workers, who were on the dole.
The king did what he could do, with limited means (taxes were very low in these times), he made fuse once more his gold and silver dishes and furniture, to sell the metal, even his throne that was of silver. It was an example for the nobility, who did the same. This is why there is nearly nothing left of the XVIIth century French table art, that was the most admired in Europe. He bought flour to Ukraine and sold bread at the price they were sold before the hunger (1792-1793) or gave it with soup (in 1709-1710). He employed as many people as possible as road-builders, or as soldiers (he didn't need to read Keynes to understand it was a solution), and in spite of all that, there was an overmortality in the realm, that diminuated the population by 7,5% as evaluate some historians, which is enormous; but what could he do more?
che-18-1709-secoursaupotage-p.gif

I just wonder, are you talking about the early 1700s or the late 1700s here? You both talk about 1709/1710 and 1792/1793, as it was the same time. I'm sorry, but I'm a little confused here.

Louis XIV didn't rule in the late 1700s. Louis XVI did. His wars gained little and cost much, as did his building.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excactly! Louis XIV ruled then, not Louis XVI! There were five generations between these two kings. (Louis XIV was Louis XVI:s great great great grandfather.)

Please, excuse me, I wrote twice 1792-1793, instead of 1692-1793!

Okay, good to know. We just wanted to get things right. :flowers:

Restoration unlikely---unfortunately

As much as I think monarchy would benefit France, it is not likely to happen...EVER. The French people have a decidedly anti-authoritarian streak. After all, they riot when their presidential candidate doesn't win. Some have argued, and I tend to agree with them, that France is not a very democratic country (meaning that the nation has difficulty accepting the validity of opposition parties--hence the rioting when Sarkozy won fair and square). As far as acceptance of authority is concerned, I am convinced that monarchy in the United States would be easier than it would in France. :ohmy:

And let's not forget the problem with choosing which dynasty to put on a French thrown. Would it be the Bourbons or the Bonapartes?

And let's not forget the problem with choosing which dynasty to put on a French thrown. Would it be the Bourbons or the Bonapartes?
That is a question, but I wonder why the Bonapartes are even a consideration. Just because one gains power through a military coup does not make them royalty. Napoleon wore a crown, but royalty he was not, and neither are his progeny. Dictators are dictators, not Kings.

But there still were no less than three Bonaparte emperors (Napoleon I, II and III) in France. And most kings and emperors, who were the first of their dynasties on their throwns, came to power through military coups. I guess the Bourbons didn't become kings peacefully either.

If the French one day came to the realisation that the monarchy is worth reinstating, it would not be the Bonaparte's they turn too. Let me make that emphatically clear.

Whether each dynasty came to form through military muscle and flex is not the question. Napoleon crowned himself. He was no royal, no prince and certainly no Emperor by right of birth. A mere power hungry dictator who sought to gain an authoritarian standing beyond the limitations of any political power which resulted in his own undoing.

Napoléon was no more an emperor than Marie Antoinette was a commoner.

Back
Top Bottom