France and Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Louis14 said:
An opinion poll relates to only, in the best case, a sample of a few thousands of people. France is a country of nearly sixty five million inhabitants. Why not to organize a real referendum where all the voters could be expressed? The French Republicans are they afraid of the vote expression?

The French Republicans put such a disorder at the top of the State so much so that nobody knows even who governs France today! Can they tell us if France is always governed? If so, by who? By the President of the Republic? By the Prime Minister? By the head of the governmental majority party? Perhaps by the street?

We think that the Republican institutions are completely worn and that it's time to finish with this Republic which inserts France, our Holy France, in the disorder and the shame of the whole world.

Par la Grâce de Dieu, Louis-le-14ème.
An opinion poll may relate to a few people, but this few people are representatives of the proportion of the whole french population.

BTW, debate about monarchy/not monarchy is an ideological and political one, and I'm not sure it has its place on such a forum. I understand your arguments, I don't agree with everything but I will not debate about it here.

Last edited:
Marengo said:
I am all in favour of Catherine Deneuve, Princess_Olga, she did a nice try in her latest movie :)
Brigitte Bardot can be her excentric aunt who talks to the press to often about her niece.
As for the crownprince....maybe Olivier Martinez? If he marries Kylie it will be an other Aussie successtory in royal europe ;)

But seriously, I agree with you, the chances on a restauration in France are extremely small.
LOL, Olivier Martinez would give even handsome Prince Felipe of Spain a run for his money! :p
But actually, you're mentioning Catherine Deneuve is different..speaking about polls, I bet a bottle of red Burgundy wine that if Deneuve could be voted onto the French throne, not many French citizens would disagree!

Louis14 said:
All the best to you and long life to the tsarist Russia.

Agree the last Russian tsar was more benevolent, to say the least, than Stalin, in hindsight. But he was a dictator all the same. Then again, what's so bad really about a benevolent dictator? After all, Russia especially hasn't really had much, well, practice with a democratic system..

As for the French, yes the country is at a cross roads and yes a monarch could serve as a unifying force. But, that monarch would have to be in place already, to be able to be that unifying force. And not sail in only now, and add to the flames, politically, of confusion and people's overall frustration.

For example, the Netherlands, another country in the midst of re-thinking their system, their values, was very lucky to have queen Beatrix bravely step in at the right, tricky moments: after film maker van Gogh was killed by a member of an extremist minority group, she did the exact right thing and the next day, showed her face in the city of the crime, and went to talk to people of that minority.

She manifested herself on that occasion truly as the unifying force, as the true leader of her nation. BUT, she wouldn't have been able to do the same thing if she first would have had to fight herself onto an empty throne! if that had been the case, she would have been a dividing force and not the opposite.

Sure, I hear your point, France could use a true leader, but I think that to look to descendants of the last French monarchs for that, is looking in the wrong spot.

So where should the French look for a monarch?

Furienna said:
Are the French people seriously thinking of adopting a monarchy :eek: :confused: ? When I wrote a reply to this thread earlier I thought it was a "your opinion" to whether or not France should have a monarchy. I did'nt know the French were seriously considering it.
Can anyone share more light on the situation. The political situation of France, right now. I'm very intrested.

I'm not French, so I don't really know, but I don't think they're seriously considering a monarchy more than what USA is.

That is the majority of the Frenchmen considers a monarchy as frivolous business? Except for Louis 14?

Furienna said:

There are plenty of Bourbons to pick from. We only know the standards but there are many spread through the French aristocracy. Although a new dynasty could start a new page in history.
But I doubt France won't be a monarchy again, at least in our lifetime.

Furienna said:
They shouldn't! :)
A leader doesn't necessarily need to be a monarch, it could even be a politician or a church leader, however partisan that may sound. Bishop Tutu from South Africa has done an incredible amount to unite his country politically as well as socially for example. I think that for France, those Bourbons just wouldn't cut it, not in the view of post-revolution, post Bonaparte French citizens. Much more is asked of a true leader these days than sitting around eating cake in a castle and wave at the crowd every so often (sorry, just <had> to bring up cake!)

Last edited:
Louis14 said:
An opinion poll relates to only, in the best case, a sample of a few thousands of people. France is a country of nearly sixty five million inhabitants. Why not to organize a real referendum where all the voters could be expressed? The French Republicans are they afraid of the vote expression?

The French Republicans put such a disorder at the top of the State so much so that nobody knows even who governs France today! Can they tell us if France is always governed? If so, by who? By the President of the Republic? By the Prime Minister? By the head of the governmental majority party? Perhaps by the street?

We think that the Republican institutions are completely worn and that it's time to finish with this Republic which inserts France, our Holy France, in the disorder and the shame of the whole world.

I agree with you! Finally someone who thinks exactly like me!

Vanesa.;)

Russian said:
That is the majority of the Frenchmen considers a monarchy as frivolous business? Except for Louis 14?

In spite of the denials of the Republicans, no French is unaware of the existence of the Royalist movement. Our briefings are very attended by the French.

It should be known that the French Republican laws do not authorize the creation of Royalist parties, whereas the Republican parties can have a legal existence and profit, under certain conditions, of a public financing. This is the Republican democracy in France!

Last edited:
flctylu said:
Are the French people seriously thinking of adopting a monarchy :eek: :confused: ? When I wrote a reply to this thread earlier I thought it was a "your opinion" to whether or not France should have a monarchy. I did'nt know the French were seriously considering it.
Can anyone share more light on the situation. The political situation of France, right now. I'm very intrested.
The French will always remember that the Capetians reigned in France during 800 years and that France knew its apogee, the golden age of its power under the reign of Louis XIV the Great. At that time, France was very respected in the whole world. Impossible to compare with the current disorder and the decline in which the Republicans put France. We do not know even anymore by whom our country is governed!

The French remember and know that after the inescapable collapse of the Republican institutions, the restoration of the Monarchy will be the unique alternative.

Last edited:
Louis14 said:
In spite of the denials of the Republicans, no French is unaware of the existence of the royalist movement. Our briefings are very attended by the French.

It should be known that the French republican laws do not authorize the creation of royalist parties, whereas the republican parties can have a legal existence and profit, under certain conditions, of a public financing. This is the republican democracy in France!

It sounds a bit strange what you say here. As France is part of the EU and certain laws are common throughout the union, I don't think that "royalist" parties are forbidden just because they want to restore the monarchy. Even the Austrians have no problem with such a movement (and Austria's royalty has been treated far more harshly then the French since WWI).

Thus I wonder if the problem may not be the wish to exchange a presidential democracy for a monarchistical democracy, maybe the law does not want to allow for parties which wish to exchange the reign of the people headed by a president to a more absolutistic monarchy with a reigning king?

Just an idea - I would be glad to receive more information.

Jo of Palatine said:
Thus I wonder if the problem may not be the wish to exchange a presidential democracy for a monarchistical democracy, maybe the law does not want to allow for parties which wish to exchange the reign of the people headed by a president to a more absolutistic monarchy with a reigning king?

Just an idea - I would be glad to receive more information.

A Monarchist party is a party which works for the restoration of Monarchy and the end of the Republic. A real Monarchist party does not have to fall under Republican logic.
French Republican laws do not allow the legal existence of parties which wish to change the Republican system by a monarchist one.

Last edited:
Wow! The French law is picky!

jeneve_valois said:

This article is about the probably-candidate Ségolène Royal. It has nothing to do with the matter of this thread. I hope this article won't be a matter for commentaries or others posts, or the moderating team will delete the concerned posts.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Danielane, French Royalty Moderator

The French will always remember that the Capetians reigned in France during 800 years and that France knew its apogee, the golden age of its power under the reign of Louis XIV the Great. At that time, France was very respected in the whole world. Impossible to compare with the current disorder and the decline in which the Republicans put France. We do not know even anymore by whom our country is governed!

Republicans in France are a product of French Revolution, French Revolution was a product of a poor political administration of both Louis XV and Louis XVI, the first indangered Louis XIV achievements in the Nine Years War which ended with a shameful treaty of Peace that endorsed french colonial losses and established British sea supremacy. The second did nothing to fix Louis XV damage to France, didnt try to restore order to the his prime ministers (Necker specially) and end with the expensive benefits of the nobles, besides drove France into the worst econimical crisis in its history, even worst, by protecting noble and clerical aristocracy he made the country pay for their waste.
So when you are talking of Republican disaster you see history repeats herself, honestly i am a bonapartist, but i admire both Phillip Augustus and Louis XIV(beside Turenne, Villars, Conde) and from my point of view if there is chance of monarchy conducting France again even Orleanists have better chances to retain the throne than Bourbons

Charles de Gaulles and French monarchy

Excuse me, but I have a question.
In France there was a presidential mode of Charles de Gaulles. I heard, this president had any monarchic plans. Tell, there could be restored a French monarchy during times of a presidential mode of Charles de Gaulles?

Louis14 said:
The Holy French Monarchy is immortal.
The French legitimists are trustful because we think that the French Republic is leaving its last years. The Holy Capetian Monarchy will soon be restored in France. We are working for it and we think that it's just a question of a few years.

That's wonderful. I hope you are right. Continue working hard to restore the legitimate monarchy of France!

norwegianne said:
I agree, Danielane. I doubt that France will return to a monarchic form of government. I suspect that Spain was the last country to return to a monarchy.
Sorry Norwegianne but your incorrect about Spain being the last monarchy restored really last the monarchy that was restored is that of Cambodia their monarchy was restored back in 1993.While Spain restored their monarchy back in 1975.

Hmm, I was in France this past spring and I didn't see any movement towards restoring the monarchy.

Maybe because I was in Paris and it was during the student strikes. Paris cut itself off from the monarchy when Louis XIV moved his court to Versailles; from then on, Paris had a totally different history.

I think the french would not like their country being a monarchy again they seem happy with their country being a republic.

Next Star said:
I think the french would not like their country being a monarchy again they seem happy with their country being a republic.

That's what I would have thought but as Americans I think we're just guessing.

What are the thoughts of our French members? How do the French view the aristocracy and the current pretenders?

ysbel said:
That's what I would have thought but as Americans I think we're just guessing.

What are the thoughts of our French members? How do the French view the aristocracy and the current pretenders?

I have the impression French people have mixed feelings: they are fascinated by aristocracy, Gotha, prince and princess, but they wouldn't like it at all if France became once more a monarchy. I'm not sure they (we) would be surprised, though, but they wouldn't like it.

Hi Marie,

What you say makes a lot of sense after I was over there. I got the idea (perhaps wrong) the French seemed perfectly happy to have the aristocracy with all their perks and privileges of rank (as the old saying goes - rank has its privileges) but the idea of a king and a monarchy as a part of government seemed foreign.

If that's the case, then it's the other way around in Sweden. We have hardly any aristocracy left, but the royal family is still accepted by the majority of us.

Hi Furienna,

Yes I noticed that about the Scandanavian monarchies; it seems they cut out the aristocracy and kept the royal families. I think the Scandanavians have somewhat redefined what a royal family represents because at the beginning it was a familial system with the royal family at the head of a family based hereditary aristocracy.

So now the royal families there are still hereditary but no longer with an hereditary aristocracy to support them. And France seems to have an aristocracy but with no monarch at the head.

It would be beautiful to see a monarchy again in France. I do doubt the possibility though. Anything is possible thoough, especially in our world today.

marquisdaulnois said:
It would be beautiful to see a monarchy again in France. I do doubt the possibility though. Anything is possible thoough, especially in our world today.
I'd have to agree, it would be a beautiful thing to see, but I think anything is possible. I just posted over in the Russian Royalty sub-forum that in the last 10 years the monarchist idea has increased 10 fold. You wouldn't have seen that 15 to 20 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom