The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-22-2017, 05:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
President Macron could be a catalyst for the Restoration 2.0. There are various kinds of pretenders available.
Does this mean that there is a possibility of the monarchy being restored in France?

Old 05-22-2017, 05:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Does this mean that there is a possibility of the monarchy being restored in France?
I highly doubt there will be the second restoration. There might be a lack of charismatic politicians to lead France during the times of hardship. It does not mean that the current political elites in France are ready to restore monarchy.

It's safe to say that Duc_et_Pair can provide more accurate information on the topic.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:46 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Ah ah ah not a single chance
Old 05-22-2017, 05:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
It is a bit a nonsense poll. The President of France has -as only one in West-Europe- a powerful executive role. In other West-European republics the President has a mainly ceremonial role. They are heads of state, not heads of Government. In fact little difference with Europe's monarchies.

A French King with executive powers will be shortlived. Look what happened in Bulgaria with the former King, Simeon von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha. When someone can be hold accountable for decisions and policy, it often puts a toll on appreciation. See Merkel. See Obama. See former King Simeon.

When France wants to restore the monarchy, it needs a total different systematic in the state. All executive powers (as he now by Hollande) should be executed by the democratically elected and accountable Premier Ministre, not by the inviolable King.

Of course the monarchists need to be united too. The fragmentation into bonapartists, orléanists or that faction behind Luis Alfonso de Borbón is not helping the monarchic ideal.

I would change the question slightly. What would it have taken for the so-called July monarchy to have survived the Revolution of 1848 ? What were the mistakes of Louis-Philippe and his regime and how would French and European history have been different if the constititutional monarchy had survived until our days ?
Old 05-22-2017, 06:25 PM
Heir Apparent

I'd wonder how many years it would take to sort out who is the legitimate heir ...at least a couple of claimants!

LaRae
Old 05-22-2017, 06:45 PM
Royal Highness

France was the first country in Europe to become a republic, I doubt there is any possibility of restoring the monarchy.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Ah ah ah not a single chance
It would be nice to see Jean-Christophe, Prince Napoléon, as a monarch of France. He is very dashing. One might assume that political election technologists could whip up support for the restoration 2.0.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:05 PM
Royal Highness

France has been a Republic for 147 years now. Never say never but it would be extremely surprising to see the Monarchy back. As pointed out, a clear contender, popular with that, is for the moment out of the question.
But the Presidential regime from 1958 is well and alive and let's face it, is more Monarchical than ever. The new President, Emmanuel Macron , wants to underline all the regal aspects of the 5th Republic ( he wants, his words a "Jupiterian Republic"). And boy it's starting well : after his first steps as President at the Louvre, we learnt this afternoon that he will host Mr Putin at Versailles next week, not less.
France is maybe a Republic, but a frustrated Monarchy as well !
Old 05-22-2017, 07:14 PM
Majesty

President Putin's visit

Veering off the topic ...

Technically speaking, President Putin will come to inaugurate the exhibition devoted to the 300th anniversary of Peter's I visit to France. Following recommendations of his advisers, President Macron invited President of Russian Federation.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:18 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Veering off the topic ...

Technically speaking, President Putin will come to inaugurate the exhibition devoted to the 300th anniversary of Peters' I visit to France. Following recommendations of his advisers, President Macron invited President of Russian Federation.
Well strangely we had a different version of the story in this western part of Europe
Old 11-14-2017, 11:45 PM
Gentry

Even though a French monarchy restoration is one of the most remote possibilities at the moment, which of the three deposed houses is the most popular at the moment? The Bourbons, the Orleans or the Bonapartes? I'd personally like to see the Bonapartes again because one there are no emperors in Europe right now and two I think Jean-Christophe could make a good head of state if he pushed hard enough and gathered support. What about you guys?

-Frozen Royalist
Old 11-15-2017, 01:35 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Royalist View Post
Even though a French monarchy restoration is one of the most remote possibilities at the moment, which of the three deposed houses is the most popular at the moment? The Bourbons, the Orleans or the Bonapartes? I'd personally like to see the Bonapartes again because one there are no emperors in Europe right now and two I think Jean-Christophe could make a good head of state if he pushed hard enough and gathered support. What about you guys?

-Frozen Royalist
I think that the miniscule possibility of a restoration passed once the former Count of Paris lost his marbles and started to live a life totally the opposite of what he had up to then spent his life trying to achieve. He and especially his wife, commonly known in France as Madame, had been accorded with a respect and had had a position in society unparalleled by other European pretenders. The current Count is nowhere close to the position of his parents and his infighting with his son isn't helping his cause at all. A cause that seems to be out of touch with the rest of France and promoting values that was out of date even before WWII.
Regarding the Duke of Anjou I wonder what makes him think that the French would accept a Spaniard on the throne?
I agree with you that the Bonaparte pretender seems to be a fine young chap but I highly doubt he'd be interested in a potential throne though Napoleon IV
(& Empress Olympia?) does have a nice ring to it.
Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I think that the miniscule possibility of a restoration passed once the former Count of Paris lost his marbles and started to live a life totally the opposite of what he had up to then spent his life trying to achieve. He and especially his wife, commonly known in France as Madame, had been accorded with a respect and had had a position in society unparalleled by other European pretenders. The current Count is nowhere close to the position of his parents and his infighting with his son isn't helping his cause at all. A cause that seems to be out of touch with the rest of France and promoting values that was out of date even before WWII.
Regarding the Duke of Anjou I wonder what makes him think that the French would accept a Spaniard on the throne?
I agree with you that the Bonaparte pretender seems to be a fine young chap but I highly doubt he'd be interested in a potential throne though Napoleon IV
(& Empress Olympia?) does have a nice ring to it.
The infighting you blame the current Duc d'Orléans towards his son Prince Jean, actually started with his father, who started an infight with his own son, the current Duc.

Then there has possibly not been a more worse mismanagement of one of the grandest family fortunes ever than by the previous Duc d'Orléans, who left his children penniless. The current Duc d'Orleans once famously stated that even the French Revolution did not feat what happened to the fortune of the former Royal House.

For the rest there IS a monarchy of course. The presidents of France easily beat monarchies when it comes to grandeur and ceremonial.