France and Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stealth fighters, cruise missiles, hybride warfare, counterterrorism, cyber strategies etc are a far cry from highborn gentleman in fancy uniforms on horseback. The armed forces need nerdy geeks for their data control centers. Not a Prince so-and-so. Even with a surname like Bonaparte.

When I shared my opinion on him I referred to the previous discussion in this thread about Jean Christophe's views, comparing him to Macron/Trudeau, possibility of restoration of monarchy in France, or him running for a political role. I apologize if that was irrelevant.

Is there any reason Jean Christophe should be like President Macron or Prime Minister Trudeau? One has yet to see great achievements of the aforementioned politicians.
It is unfortunate though that so few modern aristocrats opt for history/art over a military career.

President Macron is now going for the beast no any French president tamed: the mighty bastion of the SCNF, the billions loss-making railway company with jobs-for-life and golden retirements for staff in their 50's. The clash will be epic. The SCNF can completely paralyze France but President Macron is vast determined to confront the undoubtedly massive resistance and transform this colossal state-in-the-state into a normal public transport company which can compete with other companies on the soon to be liberalized transport market.

Give the young president at least credit for having balls and to engage into battle to make his country as performant as Germany, Sweden or the Netherlands. The Groupe Air France/KLM shows the same: the giant makes profit but it comes from the leaner, meaner and efficiently working Dutch part (KLM and Transavia). Also there is a fierce struggle à la the SNCF.

Give the young President some credit. He is not jetsetting with Carla Bruni. He is not sneaking out on a scooter to see a maîtresse. He does the best he can. Seeing the examples of Trump and May, France may be lucky with this ambitious man with a vision and a coherent policy.

Last edited:
President Macron is now going for the beast no any French president tamed: the mighty bastion of the SCNF, the billions loss-making railway company with jobs-for-life and golden retirements for staff in their 50's. The clash will be epic. The SCNF can completely paralyze France but President Macron is vast determined to confront the undoubtedly massive resistance and transform this colossal state-in-the-state into a normal public transport company which can compete with other companies on the soon to be liberalized transport market. ...[snipped]
I read that Mr Macron, as a candidate, promised to liberalise transport market and lessen the grip trade unions have on some companies. Apparently people, who voted for him, thought he would not do it.

Last edited:
Your theory works only if Jean-Christophe wanted to be a potential Head of State and/or be part of the rather mercyless French political life.
It's clearly not the case, as he considers himself as a private citizen with a famous name. Like his grandmother he's interested in the historic aspect of this name, nothing more (unlike his own father and his mixed political results).

The Napoleons (as the Bourbons or the Orléans) are seen mainly as historical figures, not active members of the French society. And they are respected for that.

When Jean Christophe was younger he did say he was interested in politics and was apparently involved in a political group while still in school. He's now much more hesitant and he could change his mind again, but he has plenty of good reasons to be cautious. He has admirers, but there are people in France who will bash him for what his ancestors and his great-great uncles did.

When Jean Christophe was younger he did say he was interested in politics and was apparently involved in a political group while still in school. He's now much more hesitant and he could change his mind again, but he has plenty of good reasons to be cautious. He has admirers, but there are people in France who will bash him for what his ancestors and his great-great uncles did.

Well the vast majority of the French people doen't even know who he is ... and no being the heir of the house of Bonapartes is not a big problem in France, as long, like the other former houses, he's not involved in politics.
The Monarchy is now part of a common history and respected as such, but it's definitively a concept from the past....

An unknown elder branch of the Bourbons discovered?
By Philippe Delorme | February 12, 2023, 12:00 pm

Don't forget to right click over the page and select Translate to English to read the article:

https://www.pointdevue.fr/histoire/...ranche-ainee-inconnue-des-bourbons-decouverte

It was during the consultation of an octogenarian patient who complained of memory problems that Dr. Jan-Cédric Hansen, from the gerontology center of Pacy-sur-Eure in Normandy, made a curious (DNA) discovery, at the borders of science and history.

GettyImages-520721489mYHmC9JvPS.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
As you are repeating the same sentence in several of your recent posts: what do you mean by 'right over the page'?

Neither of the two meanings of the verb 'to right' seem to work in this case:
1 - restore to a normal or upright position
2 - restore to a normal or correct state

As you are repeating the same sentence in several of your recent posts: what do you mean by 'right over the page'?

Neither of the two meanings of the verb 'to right' seem to work in this case:
1 - restore to a normal or upright position
2 - restore to a normal or correct state

:lol: Thanks professor Somebody! :flowers:

I write fast and end up proofreading my me-so-bad grammar later. Thanks to you noticing it I'm 'repairing' the verbosity of it all before someone kicks me with a diploma on grammar. I really mean it whgen I say thanks!

The specific line I repeat is not part of the article but my instructions if you encounter a page in a different language that need to be translated into universal English. I'm trying to follow the Forum rules to post articles in English but on occasion a tweak is required.

For example, I use the Edge web browser and when I get to a non-English language page it only gives me seconds to react to a little pop-up window to translate the article. I miss it 99% of the time.

The other way around is to move the mouse over the page, in this case Point De Vue's, and it opens a mini menu where you can see option # 9, translate!

Hope that helps clarify my repeated use of a work-around message I include in non-English language articles. Is to comply with the Forum's advice using universal English language articles. Per my experience, the best article sources are not in English and I'm old school. Back in my day us, dinosaurs, did not have web browsers with translate options, nor things like Google web-based free-to-user translation existed until 2006.

Last edited:
So much history here, and so many well-informed people. It's unusual to see an informed and yet civil discussion on modern events on any internet forum. The conclusion I draw is that many people like the tradition, pomp and predictability of having one family, with all its familial convulations involved, as at least part of the state.

But most people do not want biological roulette to choose their leaders.

DNA testing could play a role in some people's thinking, of course (and there are many ways to do it, and more of it being done every day). Monarchs have been known to adopt or legitimize offspring that were not biologically their own; sometimes it was a cause for disruption among the people (who usually have no way of knowing), mostly it's only known way after the fact (or speculated about).

The emphasis on male line, and the rejection of adoption as a legitimate way of family building seem to me to be fundamentally against the way most French (and Americans) think these days. Monarchists are described as conservative for many reasons - these are two of them.

A person doesn't have to donate an egg or sperm to a child to consider that child their own; women are capable of ruling.
Well all monarchies in Europe and outside are based on legitimacy (children being borne of the dynasty), you can’t necessarily remove that from a monarchy because it is the basis of a dynasty because then what would be the point. I don’t think France had a Queen regnant. The idea of dynasty in republican governments are a thing so you can’t avoid it in any political system.

Well all monarchies in Europe and outside are based on legitimacy (children being borne of the dynasty), you can’t necessarily remove that from a monarchy because it is the basis of a dynasty because then what would be the point. I don’t think France had a Queen regnant. The idea of dynasty in republican governments are a thing so you can’t avoid it in any political system.

France itself never had a Queen Regnant

There were Queen Regents (Blanche de Castile and Catherine de Médicis) and Princess Regents (Anne de France and Louise de Savoie) but the Salic Law debarred Female Succession.
Jeanne Ier de Navarre was a Queen Regnant who was also a Queen Consort of France .
Jeanne was also Countess of Brie and of Champagne too.
Reina_Juana_de_Navarra_esposa_de_Felipe_IV.jpg

This map here shows the Kingdom of France in 1180 under Louis VII and in 1223 under Philippe II Augustus who increased the size of the French kingdom at the expense of the English.

Territorial_Conquests_of_Philip_II_of_France.png

Back
Top Bottom