Death of Prince François of France, Count of Clermont; 31 Dec. 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wasn't one of the granddaughters of the Kaiser born with Downs syndrome?

Princess Alexandrine, the daughter of Crown Prince Wilhelm and Crown Princess Cecilie, had Down syndrome.

I might be wrong but I believe Blanche is in the white cap?

Thank you to those who shared coverage of the funeral. It was nice to see the younger members of the family light candles for Francois.

Despite his disability (I don't know if it has been said that his death is related to his condition or not), I never suspected Francois to die so young, so I was really saddened to hear the news.

Here are some photos from the funeral Mass at the Chapelle Royale de Dreux yesterday.

http://image1.lechorepublicain.fr/p...ues-du-prince-francois-d-orleans_3571135.jpeg

I may be incorrect, but my guess is that this shows Princesse Blanche d’Orléans, Mademoiselle de Valois, in the white cap and aided by her mother, Princesse Marie-Thérèse d’Orléans, Duchesse de Montpensier, who is in the black cap and still wears her wedding ring.

Madame la Duchesse est une grande dame.

In 2000 Prince Henri d'Orléans created his daughter Princess Blanche Mademoiselle de Valois. The last known with this title was Princess Marie d'Orléans (1813-1839), daughter of King Louis Philippe. In 1837 she married into the House of Württemberg.

Marie-Thérèse, the mother of his children, is a Württemberg by birth. By creating his daughter Blanche Mademoiselle de Valois, Henri brought homage to the previous Mademoiselle who married into the House of his former spouse, and of course to Marie-Thérèse.

The mother of Blanche and François once stated that her disabled children have been the radiant center of her life.

Last edited:
For someone who once had a family member with disabilities it's heartwarming to see how integrated Francois & Blanche was/is with their family. They seem to have been/to be much loved.

For someone who once had a family member with disabilities it's heartwarming to see how integrated Francois & Blanche was/is with their family. They seem to have been/to be much loved.

That was very evident and so true the duchess comes across as a very warm lady.

she is a remarkable Lady.... she was left without any money with five children, among them two severely diisabled... and she succeeded in giving them a life full of love.

In the French boards they are so sad that the Count de Paris and his second wife were the first after the Coffin and behind the Duchess of Montpensier , his mother with Princess Blanche
Princess Blanche has a white cap and her Mother helped for receiving the Eucharistie.

In the French boards they are so sad that the Count de Paris and his second wife were the first after the Coffin and behind the Duchess of Montpensier , his mother with Princess Blanche
Princess Blanche has a white cap and her Mother helped for receiving the Eucharistie.

Yes, Princess Blanche d'Orléans (sister of the late Prince François) did it the traditional way, on her tongue (picture).
I though the greeting of Prince Jean d'Orléans with his father and stepmother was visibly heartwarming.

Prince Jean d'Orléans and his father Prince Henri d'Orléans (picture)

Prince Jean d'Orléans and his stepmother Princess Micaela d'Orléans - Cuisiño Quiñones de León (picture)

Prince Henri d'Orléans, the father of the late Prince François, really has aged (picture)

Princess Philomena d'Orléans - De Tornos y Steinhart, sister-in-law to the late Prince François (picture)

Princess Marie-Liesse d'Orléans - De Rohan-Chabot, sister-in-law to the late Prince François, greets Princess Isabelle von and zu Liechtenstein - De l'Arbre de Malander (picture)

Last edited:
You are right .Thanks for these pictures I did not see before .

In the big article on Point de Vue magazine, they say François died from a bad fall.

Ow, poor man. Until your post I assumed the Prince just died because people with toxoplasmosis usually simply have a less long lifespan.

Thank you so much Iceflower. I don't see Princess Marie. Her husband enterred the Church with the Duchess of Montpensier.

Last edited:
:previous: Thank you for the update eya. It seems that the church was quite full for Francois's mass (which seems quite soon after the funeral, unless this is the usual date in France. I seem to remember that Friso of the Netherland's first mass was quite some time after his funeral)

Its a Months Mind Mass which is a Roman Catholic Requiem Mass which is celebrated roughly about one month after a person's death, in memory of the deceased.

Once again the Comte de Paris was absent....

Its a Months Mind Mass which is a Roman Catholic Requiem Mass which is celebrated roughly about one month after a person's death, in memory of the deceased.

Ah OK, thanks for answering An Ard Ri. I'm not terribly familiar with Catholic funeral practices so this is new information for me - it makes sense now.

In the Netherlands we call it Zeswekendienst (Six Weeks Servive). Usually it is a regular Mass, six weeks after the funeral, with special intention for the deceased. This is often not with the complete family attending. Effectively the family has bought Mass intentions (one after six weeks and then once a year) to have the deceased remembered in prayers during Mass. What I see here for Prince Francois is practically the same.

In Diest (Belgium) still every year Mass is read for Philips-Willem of Nassau, Prince of Orange, the eldest son of Willem of Orange. Reason: in 1618 the widow, Eleonore de Bourbon de Condé, ordered an "eternal" annual Mass intention with a legate (a financial gift). It is an ancient Catholic tradition.

Last edited:
In the Orthodox faith they have the same ceremony. It takes place roughly 40 days after the death of a person. For the life of me I cannot remember the name of the liturgy but it's very beautiful and moving.

Back
Top Bottom