Death & Funeral of Prince Henri, Count of Paris - 21 Jan. / 2 Feb. 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very sad news.
Rest in Peace, Count of Paris.

R.I.P to the Henri, Comte de Paris and my condolences to his family.

A january 21, day of the death of Louis XVI : it's surreal !!!!

Prince Jean on his Facebook:

"I am sad to announce the death of my father, the Comte de Paris, this morning. I entrust it to your prayers.

Jean, Duke of Vendome
Domaine Royal de Dreux, 21 January 2019"

https://scontent.fskg1-1.fna.fbcdn....=03a1f58f767c514773c491e5757b5173&oe=5CC6C2B0

R.I.P to the Henri, Comte de Paris and my condolences to his family.

Coincidentally, today (January 21) is also the anniversary of the execution of Louis XVI, isn't it ?

My condolences to the House of Orléans and to the French people.

Where are the members of the French Royal Family usually buried?

We saw him a few weeks ago. I never liked him. I wonder which Funerals he will have? Head of the family in its glory at Dreux ?, or privately ??
Will the Duchesse of Montpensier attend.

Will some reigning royal family members be present at the funeral? At least from nearby royal families like Luxembourg, Belgium, Netherlands or Monaco I believe they may be present.

The Duke of Braganza was the right cousin of the Count of Paris. So you should go to the funeral.

Last edited by a moderator:
May he rest in Peace.

Other than the chapelle Royale de Dreux is there another burial site used?

May he rest in Peace.

Other than the chapelle Royale de Dreux is there another burial site used?

Saint Denis Basilica for the Bourbons, albeit not used anymore.
Dreux is the only "active" royal burial site in France, with the exception of the Imperial crypt in Ajaccio.

Last edited:
Will some reigning royal family members be present at the funeral? At least from nearby royal families like Luxembourg, Belgium, Netherlands or Monaco I believe they may be present.

My guess is that the King of the Netherlands will be represented by his cousin, S.A.R. le prince Charles Xavier de Bourbon de Parme, Duc de Parme et de Plaisance.

Last edited:

I don't expect the Dutch royals to attend. I am not aware of any close bond between them. If they are represented, it would most likely be in the person of Carlos, who can do a double - both representing the Dutch royal family and the Bourbon-Parma's (like he did in Romania). Of course some family members of the Liechtenstein princely family will attend as the count's eldest daughter married a Liechtenstein prince. I also expect at least a representative of the Belgians (Astrid is godmother to Gaston) and most likely also from Luxembourg (Sibilla is godmother to Louise-Marguerite). I doubt Monaco will attend but who knows, maybe Albert decides to come over.

In addition, I expect many non-reigning houses such as the duke of Castro, the duke of Braganza, and representatives of former monarchies on the Balkan.

Last edited:
Should we expect the duke of Vendome to take on the title 'count of Paris' or will he remain 'duke of Vendome'? And what about prince Gaston?

I expect that at an appropriate time prince Jean will start using the title count of Paris. And his eldest son could be made Count of Clermont, like his uncle and grandfather when they were heirs to the Orleans claim.

The last time a member of the Dutch RF attended an Orleans ceremony -as I can recall- was Pss Beatrix at the wedding of the count of Clermont to Duchess Marie Therese of Württemberg.

I believe the Infanta Cristina still attended an Orleans funeral (either of the late count or countess of Paris) but it would be nice if the Infanta Pilar could make it. I do expect somebody from Luxembourg and Belgium. Perhaps Prince Albert II and the empress Farah as well.

Condolences to the family. Henry's, Count of Paris, passing was sudden.

Last edited:
I believe the Infanta Cristina still attended an Orleans funeral (either of the late count or countess of Paris) but it would be nice if the Infanta Pilar could make it. I do expect somebody from Luxembourg and Belgium. Perhaps Prince Albert II and the empress Farah as well.

Lets hope theys will send someone at all. At the Württemberg funeral last year the spanish RF was not represented at all and the Families also used to be close

Will the Spanish Bourbon pretender to the throne attend the funeral ? Will he be invited ?

I also wonder if there will be an official representative of the government of the French Republic at the funeral.

I believe the last burial at the Chapelle royale de Dreux was the late Count of Clermont in 2017.

His Wedding was the Glory day of his Father.Even General de Gaulle send a telegram. As Quests all the non reigning Royals who passed away now.
For the Wurtenberg only his Sister Diane as he divorced with Marie Thérèse.
The attendance will the Prince of Venise and minor Royals he was close when he was young such as the Spanish Royals. I seen Infanta Pilar being there.
We saw pictures of Dreux Necropole . Next to the Comte and Comtesse de Paris are their Son François and their grandson François.
Even Thibault is not with his parents. What a Family !
Will he be burried next to Thibault or with his handicaped Son next to his parents?

Last edited:
Philomena Duchesse de Vendôme (arguably now de jure Queen of France) reveals that the late Comte de Paris had dressed this morning for the annual mass for Louis XVI (which he never missed), felt weak, texted the organisers his regrets, lay down, and shortly thereafter died. RIP. ⚜️

Last edited:
I had forgotten the significance of todays date it was on this day,January 21st, 1793 that Louis XVI went to the guillotine.

I was wondering on the whereabouts of Henri when I heard this news. Sad to hear, may he rest in peace.
It is rather ironic that his death coincides with that of Louis XVI considering that he never missed the anniversary mass, as wyevale pointed out.

God bless the Count of Paris. He was blessed with several grandchildren.

Philomena Duchesse de Vendôme (arguably now de jure Queen of France) reveals that the late Comte de Paris had dressed this morning for the annual mass for Louis XVI (which he never missed), felt weak, texted the organisers his regrets, lay down, and shortly thereafter died. RIP. ⚜️

How touching and sad !

How sad. What a coincidence indeed.

Should we expect the duke of Vendome to take on the title 'count of Paris' or will he remain 'duke of Vendome'? And what about prince Gaston?

I hope that chef of the Maison de Bourbon-Orléans will be known again as Duc d'Orléans. Like the chef of the Maison de Bourbon-Parme is the Duc de Parme. Like the chef of the Maison de Bourbon-Bragance is the Duc de Bragance. Like the chef of the Maison de Bourbon-Busset is the Comte de Busset, etc.

Prince Jean's uncle Prince Jacques is the current Duc d'Orléans. I hope that after him the title goes back to the Chef de la Maison. Prince Jacques' sons are Charles-Louis, Duc de Chartres and Foulques, Duc d'Aumale. So they are already "provided" with a ducal title.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom