The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-10-2018, 09:18 AM
Heir Apparent

So what "shady things" did Catherine do?

Old 06-10-2018, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Catherine will never escape her own Black Legend she will be for ever the wicked queen,Elizabeth I did equally terrible things in Ireland but her memory is revered.

Catherine had some fine moments but her involvement in the brutal St. Bartholomew's Day massacre of 1572 has tainted her forever.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:44 PM
Heir Apparent

That is a good point An Ard Ri, there are other "bold women" throughout history who aren't painted as monsters like Catherine. I know Catherine the Great is sometime painted as a "loose woman" but she's not portrayed as a monster. There are some women who did evil things... Just like some men.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 06-10-2018, 10:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Catherine will never escape her own Black Legend she will be for ever the wicked queen,Elizabeth I did equally terrible things in Ireland but her memory is revered.

Catherine had some fine moments but her involvement in the brutal St. Bartholomew's Day massacre of 1572 has tainted her forever.
It is hard to judge those people by our modern standards, especially in light of the religious conflict that existed in Europe at the time. Elizabeth I, Philip II of Spain, Catherine de Médici, they all had blood on their hands in some sense, but, without condoning their acts in any way, from their perspective, they were doing what they thought was right to defend the “ true faith “ , or, more cynically, to protect their own crowns from potential enemies.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:54 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think its hard at all:
The Inquisition was terrible
Ivan IV was Terrible (I can't help but to like the man)
Caligula was horrible
Bella Swan is a horrible book character

We constantly judge history, we just have to try to do it in context. For me I give the incest that takes place throughout history a pass and don't judge it.
I sympathize with the people of France but still think they took the revolution too far.

I only know sparse about Catherine but her misdeeds go beyond the massacre... Apparently she wasn't a good mother either, any comments from my MKOs?
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 10-11-2018, 09:01 PM
Heir Apparent

The French diplomat Jean Nicot presented tobacco to Queen Catherine.
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-jea...105292759.html
Old 10-13-2018, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
The French diplomat Jean Nicot presented tobacco to Queen Catherine.
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-jea...105292759.html
Catherine used snuff as a cure for headaches and it became fashionable at the French court.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Catherine de Médicis was related to many of the French noble houses and the Bourbons via her mother,Madeleine de La Tour d'Auvergne.

Catherine's maternal grandmother was Jeanne de Bourbon-Vendôme (1465-1511).

Her maternal grandfather was John III of Auvergne (1467 – 28 March 1501), Count of Auvergne, Count of Boulogne, Count de Lauraguais.

Old 11-12-2018, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Catherine's maternal great grandparents and great great grand parents

Great Grandmother

Isabelle de Beauvau,Countess of Vendôme (1436-1475)

Great Grandfather

Jean VIII de Bourbon-Vendôme,Count of Vendôme (1446-1477)

Great Great Grandparents

Jeanne de Laval (1405-1468),Countess of Vendôme
Louis Ier de Bourbon-Vendôme,Count of Vendôme (1393–1446)

All 4 are depicted on the stained glass at le Sainte-Chapelle du château de Champigny-sur-Veude. (courtesy of Wikipedia)

Tags
catherine de medici, queen consort