Auction of the Estate of the late Count and Countess of Paris, 2008 / 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The items aren't outragiouly expensive (of of high value for the art world). Many items are around 1000 euros or less. What use is it to sell these? Couldn't they keep them together at Amboise where they at least have some historic value.

It seems that the chains of the order of the Saint Esprit is valued at the highest price: 200.000-300.000 euros.

Edit: it seems that many items were sold for much more than they were estimated.

I saw it in life this evening .
41 items and 5 museums of France Peremptions. The museums have the hand on the item so these 5 wlll remain in France.

The evaluation prices as usual were attractive....

Henri IV painted by Pourbus Evaluation 30.000 euros sold at 330.000 euros (without the %.)
Déjeuner royal de Sèvres 150.000 euros sold at 410.000 euros.

To morrow the other items.
I agree with you Marengo , but 10 Heirs...

Do you think they may buy items , or through another person .
Duke Phiipp of Würtenberg is their Cousin...

I find it terribly sad when these old families of forced to sell off the few remaining heirlooms they have because it's impossible to divide it between the heirs. It's especially sad when you think of how the significant Orléans fortune was destroyed by the actions of just one man. This shows the importance of a family foundation keeping the fortune and the heritage intact for future generations.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

In this case I believe the problem isn't actually how to divide the family heirlooms between the heir, but rather to make cold hard cash.
In such cases, a family foundation would help to keep the inheritance intact, but it wouldn't help to generate cash for the heirs (or at least not so much as an auction does).

I saw the Auction on life through internet.

The two collars are not sold.

10 items "préemption" of the Museum of France. Well done !

Didn't the late count actually put these items in a foundation? His heirs started a law suit and are now selling, though I am sure not all of them agree with the action.

Do you know which items were bought by French museums maria-olivia?

Yes Marengo ,
29/9
Historic paintings
Items 11 17 25 28 33 (Museums of Versailles , Louvre , Chateau d' Eu
Roi Louis Philippe recevant l' Ordre de la Jarretière by Gosse for the Museum of la Légion d'Honneur.

30/9
135 Decoration of the Order of le Saint Esprit (museum ?)
153 Henri IV Barbedienne (museum ?)
171 Castle of Reichenau (Chateau d'Eu)
179 Eugène Lami Baba Ali (horse) Musée de Chantilly.

For Sotheby's I had to log in the 2 days.
I was very impressed by the way of doing of great Auction House and Duke Philipp of Wurtenberg who did the Auction.

It is the very last Auction of important items of Royal Provenance.

Result : 6.221.665 euros (for 10 Heirs)

Last edited:
Its always sad to see family heirlooms get split up. But I guess many of her children may have been hit hard by the Global Financial Crisis.

:previous:

I suppose the issue predates the financial crisis. The late count of Paris made some bad investments with his capital and there was little left for his many heirs. Also, I do not think his sons (or daughters) were actually trained to have a job. I believe that the countess of Evreux once commented about this.

A photo of Duke Philip auctioning the heritage of his mothers family:

Vente de souvenirs de la famille de France - Noblesse & Royautés

Thanks for the overview maria-olivia! It seems that they were mostly interested in paitings. I am glad that some were saved.

So six million, devided by 10 and I suppose with 45% tax over the amount? That doesn't leave all that much per person.

Last edited:
I'm glad that several items went to museums and are available for the pubic and art historians. Such things of historical and cultural importance shouldn't disappear into private collections.

These heirlooms indeed have historical and cultural significance. But when you are the heir of such assets and have economic difficulties then these heirlooms you see just like money money money. It is sad indeed, but I fear that sooner or later many such things will be lost.

Back
Top Bottom