Auction of the Estate of the late Count and Countess of Paris, 2008 / 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe most items were purchased by antique dealers. I say this because carpets were sold for very low prices while more "historic" pieces fetched much more than the estimated value.
Menarue, your father was correct. I have things that were handed down from great grandmothers to our generation and would never part with them for all the tea in China. I have lists and description of some more valuable pieces, explaining the provenance and the length of time they have been in the family so future generations will not put them up for sale for a few dollars or discard them with the rubbish on pick up day.
M O I hope you find some of the pieces you wanted to an antique op someday and buy them at your leasure.

Odette you do exactly what I do, I have a book (actually more than one copy) where everything is listed with the description and from whom they were inherited and any history that I know about them. My husband showed me a little silver mesh purse that his grandmother gave him to take his lunch money to school in.....(can you imagine that?) well a part of the mesh was a little loose and I took it to be repaired at an antique jeweller´s shop. He took one look and said it couldn´t be done and not to try to do it as it dated from about 1600 and there were different methods then.
It is now carefully listed and put away. He was allowed to play with lots of things and he tells me he destroyed lots of old documents by cutting off the wax seals to play with. A lot of family history was lost when his loving grandmother let him play with them.
I have a feeling that all those little bits and pieces were much loved by the Comtesse, well they have gone now.
I am still wondering where "my" cushion went....

I thought I saw your cushion halfway down on the list. It mentioned it was of modern times not an antique.
I wonder where all these items will resurface and when.

Referring to Merarue and Odette's post, I have sadly no old antiques belonging to my family, therefore I was so interested in the Countess of Paris auction because of there unbelievable low estimation. Nevertheless I am fascinated by old jewellery.
I bought some ; they are less expensive than the new Cartier, van Cleef or Gucci but they have a story , I hope a happy one .

I love antique jewellery. I am sure that in Belgium there will be some wonderful places to "hunt". I have picked up pieces that no one has wanted and then when properly cleaned and valued I have had some very pleasant surprises. You never know where you can find something really good. An old Mikimoto pearl necklace at the bottom of a pile of faux pearls.....mmmm very nice.

How I love hunting for treasures. I preferably do it when I am alone since I cannot do it when others are either not interested or in a hurry.
I love looking through piles of garbage to discover pieces I love. I do not buy jewelry since I am not into them but old books, figurines,silver and embroidery is oh!!!!!!!! such a lovely way to spend a day!!
Needless to say Monsieur Odette should not even be in the same time zone for me to enjoy antiquing!!!!!! He does not understand why anyone would be interested in other peoples' discards:bang:

Monsieur Odette sounds very much like Senhor Menarue......
He did change his mind a bit when he saw how much some of my "finds" were appraised for, he still won´t go (hooray antique hunting is to be done solo) but he will fork out the money if I say it is really worth it.... well that is ok by me.

Senhor Menarue is a very smart man!
If Monsieur Odette knew what I actually paid for some items he'd wonder about my sanity but we will not test that theory.......:whistling:

In my newspaper , the Friday is the day of the Auctions everywhere.
The Man was in Paris for the Auction. He said that he saw 4 Comtess's Children Hélène, Claude, Chantal and Jacques and a lot of her Grandchildren .They bought some items, but for more items they had to stop because the prices were so high..
I am thinking at "my" item 288 estimated 150 -200 euros and sold 3.200 euros!
In the morning some 200 "elegant" people in the afternoon they were 500, 20 telephones + internet from USA, Great Britain or Japan.
But the most important Auction : the Yves Saint Laurent 's will take place on February 2009.

Senhor Menarue is a very smart man!
If Monsieur Odette knew what I actually paid for some items he'd wonder about my sanity but we will not test that theory.......:whistling:

Odette I never tell Senor M more than half the price I actually paid... What do you think I am. :whistling::whistling::whistling:
I am definitely not :angel:

Maria Olivia Who is the Man??
Can you imagine if the children wanted to have some items and they were outbidded?? They should have shared what they wanted before they put them up for sale.
I always thought the Orleans family were divided to at least two camps..

Menarue I never say any numbers since I cannot remember them and it is easier this way. :bang:
I had an aunt who used to either inflate or drop the prices of whatever she used to buy. To make it more believable she never said she bought something for say $10. It was either $9.75 or $10.25 :lol:It was too "accurate" to sound like a make believe amount:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The very last Orleans auction will take place at Christies -Paris on October 14th. 483 Items belonging to the late "Madame le Comtesse de Paris "will be sold by her Children hoping that Museums of France or one of the Comtesse heir's will buy them

Madame had 11 children
Isabelle, Henri Count of Paris, Hélène , François (+)
Anne , Diane ,Jacques Duc d' Orleans , Michel Count d'Evreux
Claude, Chantal, Thibault Count de la Marche (+)
She lost two of her sons

The famous painting representing SAR Madame la Comtesse de Paris by Vidal-Quadras in 1956 will be sold also.
At this Christie's Auction the last item will be a pocket-handkerchief belonging to Queen Marie-Antoinette when she was a Prisoner at the Temple (1793) .
They hope to have 12.000 -15.000 euros. How sad..

I understand cash flow problems but I do HATE to read about Royal auctions, where precious heirlooms that should remain in a noble house to be passed down from generation to generation are auctioned off to the highest bidder.

Sad indeed.

I am sad that the Royal Forums have no interest at all about the French Royals of the Past.
Next week all what belonged to the Late Count et Countess of Paris , as well historical souvenirs belonging to Queen Marie-Antoinette will be sold by the Princes and Princesses of France at Christie's Paris on 14th Oktober at 11 am and 2 pm.
An exhibition will take place this coming Week-end.

I have a great interest in French Royals, past and present! I have read extensively on the Bourbons and consider myself fairly well versed on the subject of French Royal history...at least well versed for an American!

Michaella may have been made a Princess, but Marie Therese was made a Duchess, and I had always believed that the rank of a royal French Duchess trumped a French Princess.
It is funny how the press always refers to Henri, present Comte de Paris, as "The Comte de Paris and his wife." I have maybe seen just once where Michaella is referred to as the Comtesse de Paris.
Didn't Henri concoct a perfume line using the Orleans name in order to make some money?

HM Queen Fabiola is alleged to have caused quite a stir at Madame's funeral Mass when, during the Sign of Peace she is said to have snubbed the Princesse de Joinville by not embracing her first, before Marie-Therese.

Fabiola and Madame la Comtesse were close friends and confidantes...PDV speculates that Madame would have gotten quite a kick out of it LOL!

So how much money did the sale get at the end of the day?

Auntie ,
The total amount of the auction was 2.383.050 euros.
(price include buyers's premium)

I had an aunt who used to either inflate or drop the prices of whatever she used to buy. To make it more believable she never said she bought something for say $10. It was either $9.75 or $10.25 :lol:It was too "accurate" to sound like a make believe amount:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

´What a wonderful (underhand) idea. It is going to be adopted immediately.
I have an American friend who is married to a wealthy man and she told me her method. She tells her husband twice the amount as he immediately hands it over :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:
Oh well we can´t all get one of those. She also told me that with the extra cash she has now two apartments in Miami....... Sorry :bang:

Nothing Maria Olivia, it is about the money we spend on these auctions......and where it comes from? In my case if comes from my husband and I have to deflate the prices or I can´t buy........
Is there another royal auction coming up?

The next famous auction in Paris will take place on February 2009 : it is the collection of late Yves Saint Laurent...This collection contains masterpieces..
I have a new avatar, it is our beloved Queen Elisabeth wearing her Cartier tiara.
After Leopold's III death , his second wife Lilian de Rethy sold it back to Cartier..
She should never had done that...

The next famous auction in Paris will take place on February 2009 : it is the collection of late Yves Saint Laurent...This collection contains masterpieces..
I have a new avatar, it is our beloved Queen Elisabeth wearing her Cartier tiara.
After Leopold's III death , his second wife Lilian de Rethy sold it back to Cartier..
She should never had done that...

One of my little treasures that I picked up in an antique shop was this;-

PA190827.jpg

I think it started off as a cheap little souvenir of her marriage but I treasure it and it was such a surprise to find it here in Portugal.

Is her name on it ? She was born Duchesse EN Bavière , her father Carl-Theodor was Sissi's brother. She married Prince Albert in 1900 and got her first child (léopold III) in 1901. Congratulations this is a nice treasure..
(I believe that in Portugal they did not know her..
The Ex King Humberto lived also in Cascais . After his death what happened with his furniture ?? Perhaps you can start another forum with "Royal auction " ?

I didn´t take a very good picture, it has SM Elisabeth de Belgique written on the front just above the blue.
I visited \ the Italian Princesses many years ago in the house and they had mainly modern furniture that I can remember. It was a modern house, the very first house that I had been in that had its own lift (innocent abroad I was). To tell you the truth I was most impressed with the beautiful closet full of designer clothes and shoes that I was shown in the youngest Princess´s bedroom. I should imagine that any valuable pieces were taken by the two princesses that lived there and perhaps their brother. I can´t remember anything ever being sold off, just taken with them I think. The house was gutted and is now a luxury hotel just down the street from where I live.

Dear friends,
A received a letter from Christie's to-day the item 424 ( a boiled papier maché bonbonniere 19 th Century is for me...
I don't understand , it was written Price Realised 1.125 euros.. My order was less. .. Did someone cancel ?
So in November I will go to Paris...

Congratulations..... Lovely to hear that you have had success...

Dear friends,
A received a letter from Christie's to-day the item 424 ( a boiled papier maché bonbonniere 19 th Century is for me...
I don't understand , it was written Price Realised 1.125 euros.. My order was less. .. Did someone cancel ?
So in November I will go to Paris...

Congratulations! Someone may have bid on it and either could not pay the amount or there was some confusion about it.
Locally if we bid on an item and something is not revealed at the time of bidding, the one who "won" the item can back out of the sale.
I do not know how it worked with Madame's auction.
Menarue, this item looks absolutely beautiful. Good for you.

In Point de Vue of this week , 6 pages and pictures about the Auction. The two last items belonging to Queen Marie Antoinette were sold to people from Chili and Qatar..
Only one Museum of France could get some items : the Musée Louis Philippe au Chateau d' Eu (Normandie)... How sad...

I haven´t got my Point de Vue yet. Chili and Qatar!!! Oh well I hope they cherish them.

Back
Top Bottom