Annulment for the Count of Paris and the Duchess of Montpensier

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for sharing your precious first hand opinions about this.

my parents were married for 37 years and had 4 children. they had their marriage annulled - for my father it was so he could remarry and for my mother it was so she could enter religious life. for a devout catholic, when it is necessary to end a marriage, the annullment process is very important.

If I underastnd correctly, as I am not a Roman Catholic, the Compte's first wife, after their civil divorce, was also excluded from the Sacraments of the Church??

Emmeleia, the first wife, not beeing the "guilty" part in the eye of the catholic church, was not excluded.
She did not want the divorce and did not ask for it in the first place, and, even more important, she never remarried legally.

my parents were married for 37 years and had 4 children. they had their marriage annulled - for my father it was so he could remarry and for my mother it was so she could enter religious life. for a devout catholic, when it is necessary to end a marriage, the annullment process is very important.

this is a way of using ecclesiastical annullement quite arguable: annullement is ok when the couple didn't want or didn't know what they were promising..not when they simply change their mind: a promise to God has to be kept if consciusly taken; of course ecclesiastic judges can't know people aim and so it is possible they give annullement to people that don't deserve it

Read Sheila Rauch Kennedy's book "Shattered Faith", printed in 1997. Those with enough power and wealth can control the outcome. It isn't as noble as some would think.

Read Sheila Rauch Kennedy's book "Shattered Faith", printed in 1997. Those with enough power and wealth can control the outcome. It isn't as noble as some would think.

That's exactly the case of which I was speaking earlier, Countess, without naming names. The annullment was granted at the Diocesan level. However, Mrs. Kennedy appealed the annullment to the Vatican, and it was overturned. The marriage was upheld, the annullment denied.

emmeleia wrote: If I underastnd correctly, as I am not a Roman Catholic, the Compte's first wife, after their civil divorce, was also excluded from the Sacraments of the Church??

No, actually not. When a couple divorces, they are considered by the Catholic Church to remain married to each other until such time as the Church rules on the validity of the marriage. The Compte's first wife did not remarry civilly or did not in any way act in a manner that indicated that she was no longer married. As such, she was entitled to remain in communion with her Church and as such, was eligible for all sacramental blessings. Her former husband, by re-marrying, was excluded from the Sacraments.

what I mean is that a sentence doesn't make a good catholic.. someone who obtain an anulement because of his power, money, etc demonstrate to be a bad catholic

As usual that kind of news seems to be ery upsetting for some of you and i really wonder why ? ... that decision does not affect anyone appart from the comte, his first and second wife, and apparently they hace accepted it

I wonder if the children of the Comte's first marriage would agree that it does not affect them.... The church has declared that, in the eyes of God, the marriage of their parents never existed. That must have some kind of psychological and emotional meaning for a person, no?

Of course, in accordance with its often convoluted (even irrational) logic, the Roman Catholic Church has also declared that the children of the Comte de Paris and the Duchesse de Montpensier are legitimate... even though the marriage of their parents never existed. Go figure. :glare:

I wonder if the children of the Comte's first marriage would agree that it does not affect them.... The church has declared that, in the eyes of God, the marriage of their parents never existed. That must have some kind of psychological and emotional meaning for a person, no?

Of course, in accordance with its often convoluted (even irrational) logic, the Roman Catholic Church has also declared that the children of the Comte de Paris and the Duchesse de Montpensier are legitimate... even though the marriage of their parents never existed. Go figure. :glare:

The family appear quite comfortable with this, as evidenced by recent events. Who are we to judge them, their feelings, or to vent our issues or prejudices on them?

Last edited:
Claypoint, I was thinking the same for Marie , Jean and Eudes
The Count de Paris second wedding should be private.
About the Orléans/Wurtemberg wedding, Général de Gaulle then President of France, said that this wedding was for France a national event. The late Count de Paris organised a glorious wedding but between Henri and Marie-Thérèse there was surely no love. This was one of the last arranged wedding and that is for sure the claim of the actual Comte de Paris.
As a catholic it is difficult to me to accept an annulment when they are children.
Will the Church do that for all catholic-princes divorces : Elena/Jaime of Spain, the 2 Bourbon-Sicile Princesses Beatrice and Anne, one of the twin girls of Archiduke Otto and others.
For Caroline de Monaco , divorcee , widow , and wife, she never had a second or a third catholic wedding, was it forbidden ?

The annulment is a done deal. It is essentially a private matter between the two parties concerned and their Church.
As there is little more that can be constructively added to the issue the thread will remain closed.

A thank you to those who have brought some light to the process by posting about their personal experiences.

Warren
Non-Reigning Houses moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom