The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > Royal Families of France

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 09:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Noblesse oblige... It is the heir's wedding after all. The last thing both parents want is to show tension in public and spoil one of the most important moments in Duke Jean's life.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:28 AM
Courtier

Sad news but that is what both parties wanted there is nothing anyone can do about it.That is just the way.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 03-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Time is the greatest healer. These two have been divorced for longer than they have been married. So whatever animosity existed has evaporated.
It is only polite for divorced parents to behave amicably when they both show up to their child's wedding. I am certain the Comte was not present at Princess Marie's wedding but I cannot remember if he was present at Eudes'.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Why was he not present at Marie's wedding?
Old 03-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Courtier

I hate to veer off a bit, but mention was made earlier in the thread of Prince Thibaut who was the present Count of Paris' youngest brother.
Thibaut died tragically in Africa. He was married to Marion Gordon Orr who was Scottish and somewhat older than Thibaut.
Of course, this marriage was not recognized by the old Count of Paris.
Thibaut and Marion had two sons, one of whom died in infancy.
The surviving son (Robert?) has a title and is pictured rarely at family events.
Whatever happened to Marion? Is she still alive? When Thibaut died, she became very reclusive - occasionally she was photographed at an event attended by the old Count.
Thanks, everybody -
Old 03-29-2009, 05:57 PM
Courtier

Quite a few years ago (2001), someone posted the following about Marion and her son on the alt.talk.royalty discussion group:

Quote:
According to *Le comte de Paris et sa descendance*, by Philippe de Montjouvent, 1998, the dowager Comtesse de La Marche (Marion) leads a discreet life at Thoiry, on a farm known as "Ecu", which Vicomte Paul de La Panousse (a long-standing friend of Thibaut) has placed at her disposal. (The family has lived at Ecu since November 1981.) Thibaut and Marion's surviving son, Robert, Comte de La Marche (b. 1976) was educated in France, and later at Stowe, in England. During 1996-1997, Robert completed his military service at Bourg-Saint-Maurice, in Savoie, with the "7e Bataillon de Chasseurs Alpins". Upon return to civilian life, he entered a British university where he his studying (at least, in 1998, when the book was published) economics and languages.

prince thibaut of france - alt.talk.royalty | Google Groups
Old 03-30-2009, 12:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Robert, Compte de la Marce was listed as one of the heirs of Madame's estate. So he must have received what would have been his father's share of her inheritance.
With regard to Princess Marie she was married in 1989 and her relationship may have been a bit distant at that time. I also remember that the then compte de Clermont was not present in other family weddings because as a divorced man he either was not invited or could not attend.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Aristocracy

Very nice article in the Point de Vue of this week about the love story between Henri, the count of Paris and Micaéla, the countess of Paris.
We learn that the prince Henri met Micaéla in 1974, after his separation with the duchess Marie-Thérèse of Wurtemberg.
Some infos about the future religious wedding : The count of Paris main wedding witness will be his cousin Maria da Gloria d'Orléans-Bragance, the duchess of Segorbe and Micaéla's witness will be another cousin, the duchess of Magenta.
After the ceremony the reception will take place at the castle of Arcangues.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.F.H.78 View Post
After the ceremony the reception will take place at the castle of Arcangues.
I guess this is it: Château d'Arcangues - Pays Basque
Old 04-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.F.H.78 View Post
The count of Paris main wedding witness will be his cousin Maria da Gloria d'Orléans-Bragance, the duchess of Segorbe.
Now that we're talking about annulments and divorces, I wonder whether her first marriage (to The Crown Prince of Yugoslavia) was annulled?
Old 04-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotroman View Post
Now that we're talking about annulments and divorces, I wonder whether her first marriage (to The Crown Prince of Yugoslavia) was annulled?
Good question, with two answers in my opinion:
1- we're talking about a Catholic marriage (the one of Henri and Micaela), so I think that if she will be the witness, she can be his witness, or the Church would not consent this.
2- CP Alexander is Orthodox, and I think their marriage has been Orthodox and not Catholic; if so, she didn't need an annulment.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Heir Apparent

The Comte and his wife probably grew tired of the snubs...at the funeral Mass of the Comtesse de Paris(Henri's mother) during the Sign of Peace, Queen Fabiola of Belgium made a point to walk past Micaela and embrace Marie-Therese first, as if to emphasize the point that in the eyes of the Church the Duchess of Montpensier was still Henri's wife and took precedence over Micaela.

It really is a big old mess and I agree with the poster who stated that unless the couple sought the annulment in order to be able to receive the Sacraments, it really is rather nasty and unnecessary business.

The Royal family of France sounds more dysfunctional than some soap operas!
Old 04-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Aristocracy

A close friend of mine went through the catholic annulment process. yes it is a complicated process, intimidating, long (3 years + for my friend) etc. but in the end believe it or not she found it therapeutic. Let me explain some facts: BOTH parties are contacted and both have to testify- and they have to bring witnesses (close friends or family) [Previous poster is right: it is almost impossible to get an annulment unless both parties agree.] Fact is during the divorce the process is all about splitting property, visiting rights, money, anger etc. no one talks about how /why the community, or the bond of marriage failed. The annulllment process involves detailed interviews with both parties - including questions about marital life etc.) My friend was reluctant in the begining (her husband wanted teh annulment), but according to her this process turned out to be beneficial for both of them, almost like therapy.
Only one person's experience.

No one can presume to know what either the Count or the Duchess truly feels.
I believe it was 1955 or 1957 when the got married, back then family and society pressure was a lot more than it is now.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Vincent has very kindly provided us with some information about the upcoming religious wedding of the comte de Paris in late September, here.
As the event is over five months away the wedding thread will remain closed until closer to the event.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:48 AM
Gentry

As usual that kind of news seems to be ery upsetting for some of you and i really wonder why ?

Ther annulment was granted on the 18th of novembre, i have seen the paper, but teh comte de paris had nothing to do with the fact that it was granted at this time. He started the procedure more than 30 years ago, it has come to an end last novembre and that is the decision of the holy siege, not his;
Further more, divorce still is a big problem for strict catholics. If you are in such a position you cant' even receive holy communion at mass, therefore you are in state of permanent sin; The comte de Paris has been trying for 30 years to reconcile himself with his church, and finally he did. This is great for him.
I am catholic, but not very strict, but i do admit that in these matters the authority of the pope is absolute; I do not think it concerns me, i hate weddings myself, but i am fine with people believing in it.
Furthermore, i was at the civil wedding, the duchesse de Montpensier actually kissed the current comtesse de Paris, obviously both of them knew about the annulment. Why should we juge? if they don't.
Then, this is not such a rare case, as one of you mentionned, princess maria da Gloria got her annulment from prince alexander of yougoslvia (they had two weddings, one orthodox and one catholic), the curren,t duke of aoste got his too, king henri the VI got his from his wedding to princess Marguerite de Valois, princesse Caroline de Monaco got hers from her wedding to philippe Junot.
They are two ways to look at this decision :
If you are catholic, fine you accept the holy siege decision; The comte de Paris is reconcilied with his faith, he can remary religiously, and that is the end of it.
If you are not, why should you care, that decision does not affect anyone appart from the comte, his first and second wife, and apparently they hace accepted it; Why should we be more strict ?
Furthermore, i think that this story between the comte de Paris and hs second wife is really a love story. During more than 30 years, the all family has given them a very hard time, because they were "in sin". The comte was not invited to his mother's birthday, and both of them were not invited to any family wedding because of their situation. At the end, they started beeing invited at some of them but only at teh reception, not at church...
All this is over, because they ca
Old 04-13-2009, 05:51 AM
Gentry

sorry, wrong touch and i did not have time to read a last time, so please excuse my mistakes;
My last sentence was, all this is over, because they can marry religiously, the comte de Paris is not my favourite prince in the world, but i can only rejoice that he finally can do what he and his wife, have been waiting for during 30 years.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Warren, You took a wise decision.
Now it is the religious wedding of Prince Jean, Duc de Vendome..
And later the RF may speak about his father's religious wedding , but not at the same time.
What Vincent wrote is what happens really , being always "modeste" he knows a lot about the Orléans' family and other RF.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:08 AM
Royal Highness

Although I am a Roman Catholic, I feel it ludicrous for the Chruch to annul a marriage of many years, which produced 5 children. Poor Duchess of Montpesier, left on the lurch by her husband with two of her five children heavily handicapped.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:23 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
If the report is correct, the Vatican has annulled the first marriage of the comte de Paris and Marie Thérèse of Württemberg. Although married for about 27 years and five children the Church has now ruled that the marriage never existed. Hmm
I don't believe his claims that he was forced into the marriage by his father. Nobody can force a person to do anything - ultimately they made a choice! Marriages can disinigrate at any point, any year. I think it's wrong for the marriage to be annulled - very insulting to the wife & kids!
Old 04-13-2009, 06:59 AM
Administrator

I regret making that post early on in the piece when I was ignorant of the processes involved in an annulment so I'm not that comfortable in it being quoted.
NotAPretender has eloquently shared her own experience earlier in the thread and ended by saying that she "felt a sense of peace and freedom". We also know (now, in my case) that it is virtually impossible to obtain an annulment if both parties aren't agreeable. That being so, and as it is entirely a religious matter between the two parties and the Holy See, I now believe the annulment of the marriage is really nothing to do with any of us.