A boy for the the Duke and Duchess of Vendôme: Prince Gaston, 19 November 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mmm I don't like to overlook things because of the "spirit of the times", since "spirit of the times" would also make us think that in the Republican France there's no space for dukes and princes..

You mean Prince Thibault and his second son ? He was not a born baby, he died 3 months later. This decision came from the late Count de Paris, who changed also Thibault's name as Comte de la Marche.

1. I thought I read something that Prince Thibault died under "mysterious circumstances" in the Central African Republic.

2. Yeah I know he was disinherited by the late Count of Paris (as was Prince Michel, but said decisions were overturned).

Philoména was pregnant in her CIVIL wedding on March. In France we have a civil wedding the same day or days before the religious ceremony, not months before.

The Dukes of Vendôme had to get married in March because of circumstances.

The church wedding is so long to prepare and followed by the true royal party also they were pressed by time. And they only need the civil marriage.

The last Countess of Paris and her husband didn't allow their son to rest and his born dead baby in the royal crypt because he had married a woman of minor nobility.

She wouldn't have been happy with the low and spanish aristocrat Philomena.

I am an admirer or the late Comtesse and learning this info( the last two paragraphs)disappoints and saddens me, if it's true.:sad:

I like the name Gaston. It is a very strong name. But I can't help but chuckle every time I hear it, as it makes me think of Disney's "Beauty and the Beast" movie and the way they made the character "Gaston" in it.
I call my nephew "gaston" as a joke because of it, because he thinks he is so strong. A manly man. And he is not. Puts a different twist to the name, but I still like it.

As the couple became engaged in November 2008, it is safe to say that they did not get married in March 2009 solely because of a possible pregnancy.;) None of us know the exact date of conception, now do we?

The baby was born exactly (to the day) 8 months after the civil ceremony of March 19th 2009.
However does any of that really matter in this day and age? The important thing is the baby is healthy and beautiful.
Congratulations to the happy parents.:flowers:

The christening of prince Gaston took place yesterday in paris at the basilique Saint Clotilde which is the regular church of the baby's parents in the 7th arrondissement of Paris.
The whole thing was a very discreet ceremony. The only guests were the duchesse de Montpensier and prince François of France (prince jean's brother), and the duke and duchess of Angoulême.
The god parents were princess Astrid of Belgium, Mademoiselle Magdalena de Tornos, one of the duchess's aunt, prince Carlo de Bourbon, duke of Calabria, the duke of Angoulême.
No other member of the family was present.

Prince Gaston has been christened very early, after just 3 weeks from his birth...

I was wondering why mos of the relatives of Prince Jean didn't attend the christening; the absence of the Count and Countess of Paris is quite obvious, and maybe also the absence of the Duke and Duchess of Anjou (the only members of the French Royal Family to attend the wedding of the Count and Countess of Paris, and therefore the only members not to follow the request of Prince Jean not to attend the wedding); but what about the other relatives of Jean?
The only answer I can think to is that they didn't attend the christening in order to remain "neutral" in the feud between the Count of Paris and the Duke of Vendome.

Vincent ,
Who is Carlo de Bourbon, duke of Calabria ? Princess Anne's son ? Prince Hugo's son, but he is Bourbon-Parme , the Duke of Castro ?? Thanks for your help

I believe that Vincent is referring to Prince Charles, Duke of Castro (born 1963; also known as Duke of Calabria during the lifetime of his father, Prince Ferdinand).

sorry all, i am always getting confused with titles. The habit of using the old title, i guess.
It is of course, prince carlo, duke of Castro, head of the royal house of two sicily.

According to roglo.eu, Gaston's godfather is Infante Carlos of Spain, Prince of Bourbon-Two Sicilies (claimant to the Headship of the Two Sicilian Royal Family and to the title of Duke of Calabria); Infante Carlos is the husband of Anne, the sister of the Count of Paris and aunt of Prince Jean.

Princess Astrid of Belgium and the Prince of Castro were both at Senslis for the Duke of Vendome's wedding. I am sure they did a discreet baptism because the Duchess of Montpensier just recovered from her operation and perhaps she is still weak..
May they be happy with their first born child, the Duke is not that young..and far away from all the critics..

I was expecting a big event with fresh pix of the baby I am very disappointed !

The only guests were the duchesse de Montpensier and prince François of France (prince jean's brother), and the duke and duchess of Angoulême.

The god parents were princess Astrid of Belgium, Mademoiselle Magdalena de Tornos, one of the duchess's aunt, prince Carlo de Bourbon, duke of Calabria, the duke of Angoulême.
No other member of the family was present.

According to roglo.eu, Gaston's godfather is Infante Carlos of Spain, Prince of Bourbon-Two Sicilies (claimant to the Headship of the Two Sicilian Royal Family and to the title of Duke of Calabria); Infante Carlos is the husband of Anne, the sister of the Count of Paris and aunt of Prince Jean.

For whatever it's worth, Philippe Delorme reports in today's Noblesse et Royautés that Princess Blanche was also present at the baptism (see message 47). Baptême du prince Gaston de France célébré en la Basilique Sainte Clotilde | Noblesse & Royautés

Also, N et R cites only Princess Astrid of Belgium and the Duke of Castro (not Infante Carlos) as Prince Gaston's godparents - there is no mention of Miss Magdalena de Tornos or of the Duke of Angoulême.

Of course it's difficult to know all the details with precision because it was such a small, private event. I suppose that we will gain more consistent information over the next few days.

I think it was simply a mistake as both are Princes of Bourbon-Two Sicilies and the Duke of Castro was until a few years ago known as the Duke of Calabria.

My apologies for my mistake.
Surely it's a quite curious situation: the Orleans are strictly related to Infante Carlos, but they support the claims of the Duke of Castro, who is the godfather and the uncle of two claimants to the French Throne (Prince Gaston and Prince Jean Christophe Napoleon)...

Thanks a lot for photos!:flowers::flowers:
Princess Astrid of Belgium is a wonderful choice for a good parent. Duke and Duchess of Vedome looked really really happy.

Thank you so much for the baptism pictures Benjamin. They are so sweet. :flowers:

Wonderful pix, I wonder why they have not been published in French magazines !

Thanks. This cover's photo is strange...

It looks like they photoshopped Prince Gaston in the arms (or just in front) of Princess Astrid.

Josette

Strange cover.... they should have put the young couple and the baby

Back
Top Bottom