The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > Royal Families of France

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-03-2009, 08:20 AM
Courtier

mmm I don't like to overlook things because of the "spirit of the times", since "spirit of the times" would also make us think that in the Republican France there's no space for dukes and princes..

Old 12-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
You mean Prince Thibault and his second son ? He was not a born baby, he died 3 months later. This decision came from the late Count de Paris, who changed also Thibault's name as Comte de la Marche.
1. I thought I read something that Prince Thibault died under "mysterious circumstances" in the Central African Republic.

2. Yeah I know he was disinherited by the late Count of Paris (as was Prince Michel, but said decisions were overturned).

Old 12-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginalix View Post
Philoména was pregnant in her CIVIL wedding on March. In France we have a civil wedding the same day or days before the religious ceremony, not months before.

The Dukes of Vendôme had to get married in March because of circumstances.

The church wedding is so long to prepare and followed by the true royal party also they were pressed by time. And they only need the civil marriage.

The last Countess of Paris and her husband didn't allow their son to rest and his born dead baby in the royal crypt because he had married a woman of minor nobility.

She wouldn't have been happy with the low and spanish aristocrat Philomena.
I am an admirer or the late Comtesse and learning this info( the last two paragraphs)disappoints and saddens me, if it's true.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Courtier

I like the name Gaston. It is a very strong name. But I can't help but chuckle every time I hear it, as it makes me think of Disney's "Beauty and the Beast" movie and the way they made the character "Gaston" in it.
I call my nephew "gaston" as a joke because of it, because he thinks he is so strong. A manly man. And he is not. Puts a different twist to the name, but I still like it.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
As the couple became engaged in November 2008, it is safe to say that they did not get married in March 2009 solely because of a possible pregnancy. None of us know the exact date of conception, now do we?
The baby was born exactly (to the day) 8 months after the civil ceremony of March 19th 2009.
However does any of that really matter in this day and age? The important thing is the baby is healthy and beautiful.
Congratulations to the happy parents.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Gentry

The christening of prince Gaston took place yesterday in paris at the basilique Saint Clotilde which is the regular church of the baby's parents in the 7th arrondissement of Paris.
The whole thing was a very discreet ceremony. The only guests were the duchesse de Montpensier and prince François of France (prince jean's brother), and the duke and duchess of Angoulême.
The god parents were princess Astrid of Belgium, Mademoiselle Magdalena de Tornos, one of the duchess's aunt, prince Carlo de Bourbon, duke of Calabria, the duke of Angoulême.
No other member of the family was present.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Prince Gaston has been christened very early, after just 3 weeks from his birth...

I was wondering why mos of the relatives of Prince Jean didn't attend the christening; the absence of the Count and Countess of Paris is quite obvious, and maybe also the absence of the Duke and Duchess of Anjou (the only members of the French Royal Family to attend the wedding of the Count and Countess of Paris, and therefore the only members not to follow the request of Prince Jean not to attend the wedding); but what about the other relatives of Jean?
The only answer I can think to is that they didn't attend the christening in order to remain "neutral" in the feud between the Count of Paris and the Duke of Vendome.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Vincent ,
Who is Carlo de Bourbon, duke of Calabria ? Princess Anne's son ? Prince Hugo's son, but he is Bourbon-Parme , the Duke of Castro ?? Thanks for your help
Old 12-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Serene Highness

I believe that Vincent is referring to Prince Charles, Duke of Castro (born 1963; also known as Duke of Calabria during the lifetime of his father, Prince Ferdinand).
Old 12-09-2009, 07:22 PM
Gentry

sorry all, i am always getting confused with titles. The habit of using the old title, i guess.
It is of course, prince carlo, duke of Castro, head of the royal house of two sicily.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

According to roglo.eu, Gaston's godfather is Infante Carlos of Spain, Prince of Bourbon-Two Sicilies (claimant to the Headship of the Two Sicilian Royal Family and to the title of Duke of Calabria); Infante Carlos is the husband of Anne, the sister of the Count of Paris and aunt of Prince Jean.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Astrid of Belgium and the Prince of Castro were both at Senslis for the Duke of Vendome's wedding. I am sure they did a discreet baptism because the Duchess of Montpensier just recovered from her operation and perhaps she is still weak..
May they be happy with their first born child, the Duke is not that young..and far away from all the critics..
Old 12-09-2009, 09:30 PM
Serene Highness

Here can be found a brief write-up about the christening along with a picture of the church: Bapteme du prince Gaston de France celebre en la Basilique Sainte Clotilde | Noblesse & Royautes
Old 12-09-2009, 11:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

I was expecting a big event with fresh pix of the baby I am very disappointed !
Old 12-09-2009, 11:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
The only guests were the duchesse de Montpensier and prince François of France (prince jean's brother), and the duke and duchess of Angoulême.

The god parents were princess Astrid of Belgium, Mademoiselle Magdalena de Tornos, one of the duchess's aunt, prince Carlo de Bourbon, duke of Calabria, the duke of Angoulême.
No other member of the family was present.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
According to roglo.eu, Gaston's godfather is Infante Carlos of Spain, Prince of Bourbon-Two Sicilies (claimant to the Headship of the Two Sicilian Royal Family and to the title of Duke of Calabria); Infante Carlos is the husband of Anne, the sister of the Count of Paris and aunt of Prince Jean.
For whatever it's worth, Philippe Delorme reports in today's Noblesse et Royautés that Princess Blanche was also present at the baptism (see message 47). Baptême du prince Gaston de France célébré en la Basilique Sainte Clotilde | Noblesse & Royautés

Also, N et R cites only Princess Astrid of Belgium and the Duke of Castro (not Infante Carlos) as Prince Gaston's godparents - there is no mention of Miss Magdalena de Tornos or of the Duke of Angoulême.

Of course it's difficult to know all the details with precision because it was such a small, private event. I suppose that we will gain more consistent information over the next few days.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
I think it was simply a mistake as both are Princes of Bourbon-Two Sicilies and the Duke of Castro was until a few years ago known as the Duke of Calabria.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 12-10-2009, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

My apologies for my mistake.
Surely it's a quite curious situation: the Orleans are strictly related to Infante Carlos, but they support the claims of the Duke of Castro, who is the godfather and the uncle of two claimants to the French Throne (Prince Gaston and Prince Jean Christophe Napoleon)...
Old 12-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Serene Highness

Some pictures from the baptism of Prince Gaston d'Orleans can be seen at this message board:
Foro Hispanico de Opiniones sobre la Realeza: Bautizo de Gastón de Orleans primogénito de los Duques de Vendome
Old 12-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks a lot for photos!
Princess Astrid of Belgium is a wonderful choice for a good parent. Duke and Duchess of Vedome looked really really happy.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:35 PM
Royal Highness

Cool

Thank you so much for the baptism pictures Benjamin. They are so sweet.