Princely Family of Liechtenstein Current Events 3: May 2007- Aug 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a rather sexist attitude to equate male rulership with stability. I suppose he thinks Queen Beatrix, Queen Margrethe, and Queen Elizabeth(the longest reigning monarch in history) has brought instability to their kingdoms and realms.

Queen Elizabeth was not the longest reigning monarch in history. That is King Sobhuza II of Eswatini who was monarch for 82 years and 254 days, When monarchs of non soveriegn countries are taken into account there are actually 24 monrchs who have reigned longer than Queen Elizabeth,

It would change because the name of the dynasty would change and as I stated they are a Holy Roman Empire Princely family, regardless of whether or not with the fact that we all know that the Holy Roman Empire does not exist, the point is that these types of families won’t change their structures to accommodate change of leadership in the family and they have a traditional outlook on what constitutes a Princely family. He’s probably had to defend his view on the succession because a certain rights movement criticized it some years ago and when I say no one, I mean the majority of citizens there aren’t overly worried about it. I have looked up, but I see little that questions the succession

There is no reason why the name should change. Normally when a female monarch marries a Prince the next generation would take the name of Prince's family but in the Netherland's Queens Wilhelmina and Juliana both married Princes but the dynasty name remained Oranje. Same in the UK. Prince Philip was a Prince in his own right but the dynasty has remained Windsor.

There is no reason why the name should change. Normally when a female monarch marries a Prince the next generation would take the name of Prince's family but in the Netherland's Queens Wilhelmina and Juliana both married Princes but the dynasty name remained Oranje. Same in the UK. Prince Philip was a Prince in his own right but the dynasty has remained Windsor.
The Princely family of Liechtenstein is not the same as the Royal families of the Netherlands or the U.K. It is a Princely family. Not all dynasties operate the same way.

Iain's point was equally valid for princely families.
Name a ruling Princely family other the Grimaldi's whose throne passed through other families via marriage due to co-agnatic primogeniture but have retained the names of the previous dynasty?

Iain's point was equally valid for princely families.
My point is that not all Royal/ Princely families operate in that way. It is down to respective House laws, constitutions, legal bills etc.

My point is that not all Royal/ Princely families operate in that way. It is down to respective House laws, constitutions, legal bills etc.

The discussion between you and Iain concerned what would or should happen if Liechtenstein were to amend its house law to allow female succession to the headship. The current house law only permits men to rule.

Name a ruling Princely family other the Grimaldi's whose throne passed through other families via marriage due to co-agnatic primogeniture but have retained the names of the previous dynasty?

Not sure how your comment relates to this scenario ... clearly, in today's circumstances no sovereign throne would be allowed to pass to another family via marriage. In the unlikely event that a hypothetical heiress to the Liechtenstein throne married an heir to another throne, one of them would be pressured into renouncing their position.

The Monegasque throne did not pass through other families, but they are the only other reigning princely family in Europe, and their female heads and heiresses all retained the Grimaldi name and transmitted it to their children.

And per your comment, not all princely families operate in the same way, so even if, hypothetically, all other ruling princesses in foreign families had given up their names, that would not be binding on the hypothetical ruling princess of Liechtenstein.

Prince Johann-Wenzel von und zu Liechtenstein and Countess Felicitas von Hartig civilly got married on 30 April 2023 in Vaduz (Liechtenstein).
Prince Wenzel is son of Pss Marie d'Orleans and Pr Gundakar of Liechtenstein. Css Felicitas is descendant of famous Marshal Josef Radetzky.
Their witnesses were Count Ferdinand Hartig (younger brother of Felicitas) and Pss Marguerite von und zu Liechtenstein (sister of the groom).
The religious wedding will take place on 10 June in Vienna.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtB5QcnIIgf/

https://gothanjou.blog/2023/06/02/f...zu-liechtenstein-grafin-felicitas-von-hartig/

Last edited:
The discussion between you and Iain concerned what would or should happen if Liechtenstein were to amend its house law to allow female succession to the headship. The current house law only permits men to rule.

Not sure how your comment relates to this scenario ... clearly, in today's circumstances no sovereign throne would be allowed to pass to another family via marriage. In the unlikely event that a hypothetical heiress to the Liechtenstein throne married an heir to another throne, one of them would be pressured into renouncing their position.

The Monegasque throne did not pass through other families, but they are the only other reigning princely family in Europe, and their female heads and heiresses all retained the Grimaldi name and transmitted it to their children.

And per your comment, not all princely families operate in the same way, so even if, hypothetically, all other ruling princesses in foreign families had given up their names, that would not be binding on the hypothetical ruling princess of Liechtenstein.
Well, my point was that the reigning Prince most likely doesn’t see it that way. I never said that anyone would renounce anything. They are a very traditional family unlike others and probably just prefer it that way.

Congratulations to the couple!

Well, my point was that the reigning Prince most likely doesn’t see it that way.

Since you have quoted the entirety of my post which addressed several different points, it is difficult to see what you are referring to.

If you meant the belief that a hypothetical female heiress would transfer the principality to her husband's family and/or change the family name, then those were not among Hereditary Prince Alois's cited justifications for his belief in men-only rule, at least in that particular interview.

For those just joining this discussion, SirGyamfi1 is discussing the following interview with Hereditary Prince Alois, where the prince confirmed he wants only males to rule Liechtenstein. The reasons he cited were that according to him, this maintains "stability" and avoids having too many members of the princely family.

Liechtensteins Erbprinz gegen Frau an Spitze - Vaterland online

I never said that anyone would renounce anything.

I don't believe anyone said you said anyone would renounce anything.

They are a very traditional family unlike others and probably just prefer it that way.

Last year I already answered your claim that Alois's support for sexist succession laws is motivated by tradition, and you in turn answered my answer, so instead of repeating the exchange, I will simply link back to that earlier post.

https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...events-3-may-2007-a-12603-18.html#post2480450

Last edited:
Since you have quoted the entirety of my post which addressed several different points, it is difficult to see what you are referring to.

If you meant the belief that a hypothetical female heiress would transfer the principality to her husband's family and/or change the family name, then those were not among Hereditary Prince Alois's cited justifications for his belief in men-only rule, at least in that particular interview.

For those just joining this discussion, SirGyamfi1 is discussing the following interview with Hereditary Prince Alois, where the prince confirmed he wants only males to rule Liechtenstein. The reasons he cited were that according to him, this maintains "stability" and avoids having too many members of the princely family.

Liechtensteins Erbprinz gegen Frau an Spitze - Vaterland online

I don't believe anyone said you said anyone would renounce anything.

Last year I already answered your claim that Alois's support for sexist succession laws is motivated by tradition, and you in turn answered my answer, so instead of repeating the exchange, I will simply link back to that earlier post.

https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...events-3-may-2007-a-12603-18.html#post2480450
But what I said is probably is probably along the lines of how he sees it because that was how many Princely families operated before WWI. Families whether they were a mediatized or formerly reigning one or not needed special permission to pass on their arms and titles to their daughters and for their son-in-law to either take or add their wife’s name to their own. In the old days, the heiress would also have to marry a man befitting her rank and there are good examples of this.

But what I said is probably is probably along the lines of how he sees it because that was how many Princely families operated before WWI.

Before 1980, all monarchies in Europe (and everywhere else to my knowledge) operated with sexist succession laws, so by that logic, every member of a European royal family "probably" thinks that way. I do not think that is necessarily probable, but perhaps you do, in which case we will have to agree to disagree.

Before 1980, all monarchies in Europe (and everywhere else to my knowledge) operated with sexist succession laws, so by that logic, every member of a European royal family "probably" thinks that way. I do not think that is necessarily probable, but perhaps you do, in which case we will have to agree to disagree.
I’m sure you can ask the the Prince himself by letter or email his representatives for clarification on what he meant at that time. (I’m not being snarky, I’m sure you could ask). I don’t care whether the succession is changed or it remains the way it has always been. I’m just giving suggestions on what he might have been thinking. Not really, I don’t think whatever you were referring to as “probable” is what I’m thinking.

I’m sure you can ask the the Prince himself by letter or email his representatives for clarification on what he meant at that time. (I’m not being snarky, I’m sure you could ask). I don’t care whether the succession is changed or it remains the way it has always been. I’m just giving suggestions on what he might have been thinking. Not really, I don’t think whatever you were referring to as “probable” is what I’m thinking.

I appreciate the clarification that you were not being snarky.

In my personal opinion the prince's explanation of his thinking in the interview was clear enough and I take it at face value, but of course we are all entitled to differing interpretations.

Last edited:
I appreciate the clarification that you were not being snarky.

In my personal opinion the prince's explanation of his thinking in the interview was clear enough and I take it at face value, but of course we are all entitled to differing interpretations.
Thank you, hope you are having a nice day.

Prince Alexander and Princess Astrid gave an interview to ¡HOLA!.
Alexander of Liechtenstein is the son of Philipp, brother of the reigning prince Hans-Adam II. He married Astrid Kohl, daughter of Theodor, head of a major timber company, Th.Kohl, and Europe's leading pharmaceutical contractor. The couple have a daughter, Theodora, who is now 18 years old.
The interview took place at the princes' estate, Villa Sant'Andrea, near Verona, Italy.

https://www.hola.com/decoracion/20230620346906/pricipes-alexander-astrid-liechtenstein-villa-lago/

It's time to close this thread. You can find the new one here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom