The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Other Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Liechtenstein

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #21  
Old 06-08-2007, 08:11 PM
Lakshmi's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: *, United States
Posts: 1,226
oh my gosh, I've just realized I'd never seen Angela's pic in ball gown. I guess there must be some...That family is so private, there is almost no pics of them.
__________________

__________________
"Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.''
Eleanor Roosevelt

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-14-2007, 09:43 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Derby, United Kingdom
Posts: 5
Princess Angela is a Beautiful, and Intelligent Princess Who Should be Acknowledged

I live in the United States; and I am also an African-American woman. I have for many years been fascinated with the Royal Families in Europe. Through my readings of publications(ie..Royalty and Majesty magazines), and bios of various royals; I have noticed that all of them that have been featured were white. Other than the recognition of the former Princess Alexandra of Denmark(now Countess of Fredericksburg) who is half-asian(from Hong Kong); I am quite disappointed that very few articles have featured the Princess Angela of Liechtenstein..who is black. She was born in Panama in 1958 but was raised and educated in New York City. She later became a successful fashion designer before her marriage to Prince Maximillian of Liechtenstein in January 2000.

Through its many pagentries and lavish fanfaire as royal weddings have been known for; I immediately noticed no such recognition for this particular couple on the day of THEIR wedding. Princess Angela becoming the first black princess in a reigning European dynasty; is quite remarkable and I was completely disappointed that this princess has received no recognition. To be honest, I cannot help but to believe that her race is a factor. I sincerely hope that something may be changed and IMPROVED on that regard; by having more stories featured of her. Princess Angela is a very beautiful, educated, and remarkable woman who truly deserves her recognition as the other European royals.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-14-2007, 09:50 AM
acdc1's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: somewhere in, United States
Posts: 1,808
I had never heard about Princess Angela of Liechtenstein before I came to The Royal Forums. I still don't know that much about her, but I do agree that she is a beautiful woman. Was the wedding a cause for controversy, since she was of African descent? I have seen a picture of their son, and he is very cute and clearly loved. However, the reason, at least in America, that we never hear about her is not because she is an African-American, but because not many people hear about Liechtenstein. It's very small, and I believe that it is a principality, like Monaco, but we hear about Monaco all the time because Grace Kelly moved there, and her children cause way too many scandals. I never knew Liechtenstein as a country even existed before coming to THF. And if she is just a regular loving wife and mother as well as a good princess, we also may never hear from her becuase she doesn't cause scandal. I will enjoy learning more about her as time goes on.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-14-2007, 09:59 AM
BurberryBrit's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: onthenet, United States
Posts: 1,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessa1
I live in the United States; and I am also an African-American woman. I have for many years been fascinated with the Royal Families in Europe. .
Hello,

Welcome to the forum. I don't know if this will be moved since Angela already has a thread. But I think you make valid points. It was shocking to me at first that Angela did not receive as much attention as say Grace Kelly when she married a prince IN the US. But the more I learned about my favorite royal family, the more I realized that: 1. Angela is press shy and doesn't think that anyone would be interested in her 2. not many people know about the Princely family in the US and 3. the family is very private. We also don't know much about the other wives such as Princess Astrid (also a commoner) and Princess Marie (Constantine's wife).

I think the press in the US is definitely racially biased, and that has something to do with why there is no coverage of Angela and will probably never be. But part of me wonders if she and Max like it like that. They seem to have a nice life. They are integrated into royal society (as far as I can tell from the few pics I've seen of them at weddings). They are raising a son. My guess is Angela like being unknown. I don't think her race is a factor in Europe at all because I've noticed that Europeans are more open about interracial marriages. And Angela has proven herself to not cause any scandal to the family or disgrace the legacy of Liechtenstein.
__________________
Für Gott, Fürst und Vaterland

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-14-2007, 10:00 AM
BurberryBrit's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: onthenet, United States
Posts: 1,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1
Was the wedding a cause for controversy, since she was of African descent? .
As far as I know, there was NO controversy. Hans-Adam and Marie were at the wedding as were Max's brothers. Angela is a god mother to Tatiana's child. I believe Angela is herself shy so that combined with the fact that she's black makes it seem as if the family is hiding her, which i DO NOT think is the case at all.
__________________
Für Gott, Fürst und Vaterland

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-14-2007, 10:15 AM
Marengo's Avatar
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 14,186
Welcome to TRF, Countessa.

Though Princess Angela undoubtably lives up to all the qualifications that you are giving her, I highly doubt that her lack of recognition is due to the fact that she is afro-american. It has more to do that she herself and her husband keep out of the publicity as much as possible and live a rather private life in the US, focussing on their children and their respective carreers.
The size of the pirncipality matters here too, it has only 40.000 inhabitants. The Princely family of Liechtenstein is the largest royal family around, so that gives most of them very little to do with their background. Consequently the European press takes less interest in anything to do with this family then with the other RF. So Angela, Maria and all the other xx(x) princesses of Liechtenstein will only sporadically apear in magazines.

Angela's sister-in-law Princess Marie (born Countess Kanolky) is hardly more visible or recognised then Princess Angela. Why? Because she leads a life away from the press too and like Angela she doesn't perform to many (if any) official duties either.

Hereditairy Princess Sophie (nee Dss in and Pss of Bavaria) is somewhat more 'visible' , as her husband already took over some tasks of the ever-grumpy Prince Hans-Adam.

There was a controversy about the marriage, that is true, just as there was a controversy when Max's sister Tatiana married the untitled German nobleman Philip von Lattorf. This has nothing to do with the colour of Angela's skin, but with the fact that she isn' t a noble or royal by birth.

Some members of the Princely family of Liechtenstein are more visible but that has mainly to do with them visiting certain society parties in Paris. Prince Phillip and Princess Isabelle (brother and sister-in-law) come to mind, as does Princess Barbara of Yougoslavia who was born as a Princess of Liechtenstein. Prince Nicolaus and Princess Margaretha naturally show up at many royal celebrations throughout Europe as she is the sister and daughter of a Grand Duke of Luxembourg. Princess Marie of France, also married to a Liechtenstein Prince also occassionally shows up here and there, though much less often.
__________________
TRF Rules and FAQ
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-14-2007, 10:19 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Derby, United Kingdom
Posts: 5
Thank you for replying. The responses were very nice and I appreciate that. I guess that you are right about Princess Angela being quiet. I know that she isn't involved in any scandals which is quite refreshing. However, I can't help but to feel the way I do. Princess Angela is a woman with class and it is great to see a woman of African ancestry in a reigning European dynasty. It is unfortunate that interracial marriages have been almost non-existent in the royal families...especially among the well-known. When I first seen a photo of Princess Angela in a copy of Jet Magazine leaving the church with her new husband on her wedding day in 2000; I was completely ''blown away'' because I have never seen that before. Now I know that love was DEFINITELY in the equation for this couple. I am not discounting that. But to see that picture and know that a black woman can marry a prince; brought tears...yes tears to my eyes. I see it as hope for young little black girls that it may someday happen for them. Anyway, it was wonderful to see.

What was even more touching was the obvious acceptance from the Prince's parents and family of this woman. I am sorry, but I can't help but to be amazed.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-14-2007, 10:40 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Derby, United Kingdom
Posts: 5
What I can't understand is that there are now more male royals who have married women who are ''commoners'' and not royal (or noble)by birth; yet are receiving far more recognition and performing the duties as a royal. A particular royal bride(whom I will not name) has had a very unconventional past; yet has become the Crown Princess of a particular Nordic country. So I am sorry, the fact that Princess Angela not being included in royal celebrations because she is not a born royal or born nobility is not a satisfactory answer
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-14-2007, 11:40 AM
BurberryBrit's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: onthenet, United States
Posts: 1,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
There was a controversy about the marriage, that is true.
This is my first time hearing about this. Can you (or anyone) explain further or point us to sources that can shed some light on that?

Thanks!
__________________
Für Gott, Fürst und Vaterland

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-14-2007, 12:34 PM
acdc1's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: somewhere in, United States
Posts: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessa1
What I can't understand is that there are now more male royals who have married women who are ''commoners'' and not royal (or noble)by birth; yet are receiving far more recognition and performing the duties as a royal. A particular royal bride(whom I will not name) has had a very unconventional past; yet has become the Crown Princess of a particular Nordic country. So I am sorry, the fact that Princess Angela not being included in royal celebrations because she is not a born royal or born nobility is not a satisfactory answer
I think it also has to do with how she accepts her royal role. The new generation of crown princesses by marriage in Norway, Denmark, the Netherlands, Belgium and Spain are very active with the people and seem to greatly enjoy being in the spotlight and being seen. From what people are saying, Angela is shyer than these other princesses. Also, her husband isn't the first in line to the throne. I looked them both up on Wikipedia, and Prince Max has an older brother, and the older brother has quite a few children of his own. Since she isn't the "crown princess" so to speak, she may not have as many royal duties as she would have had her husband been first in line. From what people are saying of her temperament, she probably doesn't mind being able to live her life with her husband and little boy without having to see it constantly on the news and in magazines.

From her page on Wikipedia, she does sound extremely talented and smart. I thought that it was very interesting how she designed her own wedding dress. How many of these young crown princesses could have that to their credit?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-14-2007, 02:17 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,897
Quote:
A particular royal bride(whom I will not name) has had a very unconventional past; yet has become the Crown Princess of a particular Nordic country.
I presume you're talking about Princess Mette-Marit, not Princess Mary, correct?

As the others have said, I think that unless Princess Angela is being ignored in ways that the wives of other Liechtenstein princes are not, I doubt this is a matter of prejudice, just mostly a matter of not concentrating on royals that hardly anyone has ever heard of. It's sort of a case of being damned if they do and damned if they don't, because I think that if she was given a lot of publicity on account of being the only black member of a European royal family, people would be accusing the media of not being able to see past her skin colour and hence of acting on the basis of discrimination.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-14-2007, 02:18 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurberryBrit
This is my first time hearing about this. Can you (or anyone) explain further or point us to sources that can shed some light on that?

Thanks!
Yes, Marengo, don't leave us in suspense! Tatjana's thread could do with some substantive contributions.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-14-2007, 06:49 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Greenville, United States
Posts: 12
I have never heard of her so that is probably why you don't see much written about her. But why, oh, why, does everything have to be about race?!?!?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-14-2007, 07:34 PM
sesa's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: orange, United States
Posts: 615
I don't think it has anything to do with the color of her skin, or her being shy. When I first heard of her a couple of years ago, I found out that both her and her husband chose to live in New York so that she could continue to work and they both could live a low key life, out of the public eye.
They both participate in things with the RF. And thier son is well acquainted with his cousins, aunts, uncles, and grand parents.
I think they just choose to live their life out of the public eye and as normal as possible.
And from what I've read, the entire family is this way. It's just that they live in the U.S. and the rest of the family live in another country!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-14-2007, 07:56 PM
BurberryBrit's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: onthenet, United States
Posts: 1,439
Sesa, I've never heard of them living in the US! I've heard London, Hamburg, and Munich. I think Constantine and Marie live in NY, though. I'm not saying you're wrong, I've just never heard that before. It would be very cool! Also, Max is the head of LGT so isn't that based in Liectenstein? I thought they currently lived there or very close. They are so elusive!
__________________
Für Gott, Fürst und Vaterland

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-14-2007, 09:07 PM
Alisa's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: , United States
Posts: 1,843
It seems plausible to believe the couple live in either Switzerland or in Germany. Like Burberrybrit mentioned, Max's executive position at LGT required him to "stay close".

It's no secret that he Princely pair wanted their children to "marry well". Tatjana was a serious candidate to become the next Queen of Spain, however a romance never developed. It's easy to imagine that many including members of the Family Council were indeed shock at the Prince's only daughter marrying an untitled noble. Even more so when the second son wants to marry a commoner.
__________________
Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt. ---Phaedrus
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-14-2007, 09:24 PM
BurberryBrit's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: onthenet, United States
Posts: 1,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa
It seems plausible to believe the couple live in either Switzerland or in Germany. Like Burberrybrit mentioned, Max's executive position at LGT required him to "stay close".

It's no secret that he Princely pair wanted their children to "marry well". Tatjana was a serious candidate to become the next Queen of Spain, however a romance never developed. It's easy to imagine that many including members of the Family Council were indeed shock at the Prince's only daughter marrying an untitled noble. Even more so when the second son wants to marry a commoner.
This is all news to me! Makes me wonder what the relationship is like between Angela and Marie (her mother in law). Also, this may explain why I never see Tatjana at National Day? Then again, Tatjana married with all the fanfare in Vaduz. If the couple didn't approve would they have allowed it?
__________________
Für Gott, Fürst und Vaterland

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-15-2007, 06:06 AM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,253
The fact that Angela, Max and their young son are invited to and attend National Day celebrations in Vaduz should be enough to dispel any myth she has not been "accepted" by the Princely Family. The marriage of Prince Max and Angela fully accorded with the House Laws and the Liechtenstein Constitution, and the Reigning Prince gave his consent.

The issue of low visibility and lack of mainstream press coverage is something separate from and unrelated to Family matters.
__________________
Seeking information? Check out the extensive Royal A-Z
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,253
Countessa1, here's a site you may find interesting. Some of the comments leave a lot to be desired, and some of them are plain ignorant, but they will give you an idea of the Princess from a different perspective. On a positive note, the site has some good pics, including one of the Reigning Prince and his wife with Max & Angela at their wedding.

AALBC.com's Thumper's Corner Discussion Board: Liechtenstein's Black Princess and why we haven't heard of her

The link was originally posted in Part 1 of the Max & Angela thread, on page 1, commencing at post #12, and is followed by our member's discussion.
__________________
Seeking information? Check out the extensive Royal A-Z
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Alisa's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: , United States
Posts: 1,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurberryBrit
This is all news to me! Makes me wonder what the relationship is like between Angela and Marie (her mother in law). Also, this may explain why I never see Tatjana at National Day? Then again, Tatjana married with all the fanfare in Vaduz. If the couple didn't approve would they have allowed it?
I think that whatever reservations the princely couple had about Tatjana's and Max's partners have been long buried.
__________________

__________________
Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt. ---Phaedrus
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Investiture as Prince of Wales 1 July 1969 Josefine The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall 36 04-18-2014 02:58 PM
Prince Andrew (1882-1944) and Alice, Princess Andrew Of Greece (1885-1969) Splodger Greek Royal History 52 02-21-2014 07:37 PM
Prince Maximilian von und zu Liechtenstein & Angela Brown 2000 mybags Royal Weddings 55 01-06-2011 12:54 PM
Prince Jacques d'Orleans & Gersende de Sabran-Pontevès 03-08-1969 STEVEN Weddings: Non-Reigning Houses & Nobility 15 02-28-2010 10:25 PM
Prince Maximilian & Princess Angela 1: July 2005 - May 2007 Mandy Princely Family of Liechtenstein 203 05-07-2007 05:48 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince felipe crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events danish royals fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri infanta cristina infanta elena infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg ottoman pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince joachim prince laurent prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess elisabeth princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marie princess mary princess of asturias queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia spain state visit wedding william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:05 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]