Prince Maximilian (1969- ), Princess Angela (1958- ) and Family 2: May 2007-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A particular royal bride(whom I will not name) has had a very unconventional past; yet has become the Crown Princess of a particular Nordic country.

I presume you're talking about Princess Mette-Marit, not Princess Mary, correct?

As the others have said, I think that unless Princess Angela is being ignored in ways that the wives of other Liechtenstein princes are not, I doubt this is a matter of prejudice, just mostly a matter of not concentrating on royals that hardly anyone has ever heard of. It's sort of a case of being damned if they do and damned if they don't, because I think that if she was given a lot of publicity on account of being the only black member of a European royal family, people would be accusing the media of not being able to see past her skin colour and hence of acting on the basis of discrimination.

BurberryBrit said:
This is my first time hearing about this. Can you (or anyone) explain further or point us to sources that can shed some light on that?

Thanks! :flowers:

Yes, Marengo, don't leave us in suspense! Tatjana's thread could do with some substantive contributions.

I have never heard of her so that is probably why you don't see much written about her. But why, oh, why, does everything have to be about race?!?!?

I don't think it has anything to do with the color of her skin, or her being shy. When I first heard of her a couple of years ago, I found out that both her and her husband chose to live in New York so that she could continue to work and they both could live a low key life, out of the public eye.
They both participate in things with the RF. And thier son is well acquainted with his cousins, aunts, uncles, and grand parents.
I think they just choose to live their life out of the public eye and as normal as possible.
And from what I've read, the entire family is this way. It's just that they live in the U.S. and the rest of the family live in another country!:)

Sesa, I've never heard of them living in the US! I've heard London, Hamburg, and Munich. I think Constantine and Marie live in NY, though. I'm not saying you're wrong, I've just never heard that before. It would be very cool! Also, Max is the head of LGT so isn't that based in Liectenstein? I thought they currently lived there or very close. They are so elusive!

It seems plausible to believe the couple live in either Switzerland or in Germany. Like Burberrybrit mentioned, Max's executive position at LGT required him to "stay close".

It's no secret that he Princely pair wanted their children to "marry well". Tatjana was a serious candidate to become the next Queen of Spain, however a romance never developed.:rolleyes: It's easy to imagine that many including members of the Family Council were indeed shock at the Prince's only daughter marrying an untitled noble. Even more so when the second son wants to marry a commoner.

Alisa said:
It seems plausible to believe the couple live in either Switzerland or in Germany. Like Burberrybrit mentioned, Max's executive position at LGT required him to "stay close".

It's no secret that he Princely pair wanted their children to "marry well". Tatjana was a serious candidate to become the next Queen of Spain, however a romance never developed.:rolleyes: It's easy to imagine that many including members of the Family Council were indeed shock at the Prince's only daughter marrying an untitled noble. Even more so when the second son wants to marry a commoner.
This is all news to me! Makes me wonder what the relationship is like between Angela and Marie (her mother in law). Also, this may explain why I never see Tatjana at National Day? Then again, Tatjana married with all the fanfare in Vaduz. If the couple didn't approve would they have allowed it?

Last edited:
The fact that Angela, Max and their young son are invited to and attend National Day celebrations in Vaduz should be enough to dispel any myth she has not been "accepted" by the Princely Family. The marriage of Prince Max and Angela fully accorded with the House Laws and the Liechtenstein Constitution, and the Reigning Prince gave his consent.

The issue of low visibility and lack of mainstream press coverage is something separate from and unrelated to Family matters.

Countessa1, here's a site you may find interesting. Some of the comments leave a lot to be desired, and some of them are plain ignorant, but they will give you an idea of the Princess from a different perspective. On a positive note, the site has some good pics, including one of the Reigning Prince and his wife with Max & Angela at their wedding.

AALBC.com's Thumper's Corner Discussion Board: Liechtenstein's Black Princess and why we haven't heard of her

The link was originally posted in Part 1 of the Max & Angela thread, on page 1, commencing at post #12, and is followed by our member's discussion.

BurberryBrit said:
This is all news to me! Makes me wonder what the relationship is like between Angela and Marie (her mother in law). Also, this may explain why I never see Tatjana at National Day? Then again, Tatjana married with all the fanfare in Vaduz. If the couple didn't approve would they have allowed it?

I think that whatever reservations the princely couple had about Tatjana's and Max's partners have been long buried.

Alisa said:
It's no secret that he Princely pair wanted their children to "marry well".

This almost seems out of place from what I've "seen" of the family. The Princely couple seems to rarely mingle and interact with the other reigning families so it seems odd that they would want the attention that would come if their daughter had married Felipe of Spain. Also, when you say it's no secret, was something said or done that you can enlighten us about? :flowers:

Re: Tatiana's marriage: it was/is commonly known that Fuerst Hans-Adam and even Fuerstin Marie were less then happy with the marriage of their only daughter to a untitled noble German. It was even published in Dutch royalty magazine 'Vorsten Royale', which is a very conservative and unimmaginative, reliable magazine on royalty (esp. under the editor of those days).

They even said that it was unclear if the Fuerst would give away his daughter in marriage. Added to that, the marriage was celebrated in a very modest way. It is generally assumed that the couple had 'higher' hopes for their daughter (the prince of Asturias?), but that is speculation of course.

In the end the Fuerst and his wife overcame their disappointment and attended their daughters wedding, though according to the magazine it took the Fuerst some pain to put on his happy face ;).

-
In this light it isn't odd that they had difficulties with their son Maximilian marrying a commoner too, but in the end they also softened their attitude and Marie even allowed Angela to use her Kinsky-tiara during the wedding.

Thank You

Countessa1, here's a site you may find interesting. Some of the comments leave a lot to be desired, and some of them are plain ignorant, but they will give you an idea of the Princess from a different perspective. On a positive note, the site has some good pics, including one of the Reigning Prince and his wife with Max & Angela at their wedding.

AALBC.com's Thumper's Corner Discussion Board: Liechtenstein's Black Princess and why we haven't heard of her

The link was originally posted in Part 1 of the Max & Angela thread, on page 1, commencing at post #12, and is followed by our member's discussion.

Thank you for recommending this thread to me. I just viewed it and found it quite informative. Great photos!:flowers:

Re: Tatiana's marriage: it was/is commonly known that Fuerst Hans-Adam and even Fuerstin Marie were less then happy with the marriage of their only daughter to a untitled noble German. It was even published in Dutch royalty magazine 'Vorsten Royale', which is a very conservative and unimmaginative, reliable magazine on royalty (esp. under the editor of those days).

They even said that it was unclear if the Fuerst would give away his daughter in marriage. Added to that, the marriage was celebrated in a very modest way. It is generally assumed that the couple had 'higher' hopes for their daughter (the prince of Asturias?), but that is speculation of course.

In the end the Fuerst and his wife overcame their disappointment and attended their daughters wedding, though according to the magazine it took the Fuerst some pain to put on his happy face ;).

-
In this light it isn't odd that they had difficulties with their son Maximilian marrying a commoner too, but in the end they also softened their attitude and Marie even allowed Angela to use her Kinsky-tiara during the wedding.

Thanks for sharing. I would never have guessed (they hid it very well in the photos). Hopefully relations between in-laws are all well several years later. :flowers:

To be quite honest, I don't see any closeness with Marie and Angela. Did anyone see the pic of Alfons leaning across his mom's lap from last National Day? The one where Angela and Marie sat next to one another. Could be just me but I didn't get a good vibe from that one. Alfons looks like he wants to join in the fun but looks afraid to. On the other hand, they are sitting next to each other.

I never noticed that until you mentioned it. Has anyone seen a pic of Marie hugging/holding Alfons?

To be quite honest, I don't see any closeness with Marie and Angela. Did anyone see the pic of Alfons leaning across his mom's lap from last National Day? The one where Angela and Marie sat next to one another. Could be just me but I didn't get a good vibe from that one. Alfons looks like he wants to join in the fun but looks afraid to. On the other hand, they are sitting next to each other.

Kerry! :eek: OMG, I thought the same thing. Marie is VERY close to Sophie and I don't see that with Angela. I sent the pics to a friend (who doesn't know anything about royalty) and she said Alfons must have it hard being so different. But, if they live in a more diverse city, maybe it isn't so bad. I know there are a lot of interracial couple in Germany. There IS sort of a wall up between Marie and the other grandkids and Alfons in that photo. Have we seen Angela even talking to Sophie?

All that being said, he was in the parade with the other grandkids and seems to have a good rapport with his cousins.

Last edited:
I never noticed that until you mentioned it. Has anyone seen a pic of Marie hugging/holding Alfons?

Not to be dramatic, but even having to ask that question hurts my heart. :ermm: Let's hope there is love and affection and fondness that we don't see those few times we get a glimpse at the royal family.

Well, I think Fuerstin Marie isn't any different from all the other grandmothers in loving each grandchild she has. The children of Alois might be more comfortable around her though, as she probably sees them more often (as they live in Liechtenstein too).

Kerry! :eek: OMG, I thought the same thing. Marie is VERY close to Sophie and I don't see that with Angela...All that being said, he was in the parade with the other grandkids and seems to have a good rapport with his cousins.

I don't see any pics of Marie depicting any type of relationship with her daughters-in-law with the exception of Sophie. Maybe private moments?

Alfons does seem to enjoy his cousins and it seems that those feelings are reciprocated. So there are some private moments of bonding that we don't know about.;):lol:

I wonder if Alfons understands/speaks German. He is raised in New York, right? So it might be difficult for him to communicate with his cousins.

I wonder if Alfons understands/speaks German. He is raised in New York, right? So it might be difficult for him to communicate with his cousins.

Again, I have never heard of the family living in NY. Alfons was born in London and then I heard the family lived in Hamburg (when Max worked for Industri Kapital) and Munich and currently near Li since Max is ead of LGT. I don't think it was ever proven that they lived in NY. And even if he was raised in the US (which I doubt at this point), he is probably at least bilingual (German and English) since Max likely speaks German. In some pics from older National Days, you see Max and Angela reading their program which is likely in German. I'm sure she learned as well as Alfons. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if he had knowledge of Spanish through his Panamanian relatives.

I have to agree with you BB, I would think little Alfons is at least bilingual. German and English. I would think that he has a better grasp of English than most older kids by hearing it first hand through his parents; Angela being raised in the US and Max clearly understanding the worldwide business language.

Burberry Brit could you post the picture of Angela in her formal attire? I think she is very beautiful and I've seen pictures of her dressed up, but not in very formal attire. If you can't post please let me know where I can find the picture. Thanks!!!!

Yes, she does. Thanks for sharing. Wish there were other pics available.

Very well said. I too, do not believe Angela's skin color has anything to do with her lack of recognition by the press.

Being an American, I did not even know about The Princely family of Liechtenstein and their small country. In my humble opinion, one of the main factors that we started to pay attention to this royal family was because he pretty much married someone outside his own race and it's a good thing.

I very much admire all of their wish to remain private, I would do the same if I was in their shoes. We do not see or hear anything about Angela, her husband and the rest of the royal family and that is their choice.

Here in the States, we do not have royals so our celebrities pretty much are treated like royals. American celebrities keep themselves constantly in the press because it's one of the ways to help them earn a living and the press gets to sell their papers, so it works both ways.

I'm disappointed to see some celebrities airing their dirty laundry all over the news everyday very much unlike some European royals.

Welcome to TRF, Countessa.

Though Princess Angela undoubtably lives up to all the qualifications that you are giving her, I highly doubt that her lack of recognition is due to the fact that she is afro-american. It has more to do that she herself and her husband keep out of the publicity as much as possible and live a rather private life in the US, focussing on their children and their respective carreers.
The size of the pirncipality matters here too, it has only 40.000 inhabitants. The Princely family of Liechtenstein is the largest royal family around, so that gives most of them very little to do with their background. Consequently the European press takes less interest in anything to do with this family then with the other RF. So Angela, Maria and all the other xx(x) princesses of Liechtenstein will only sporadically apear in magazines.

Angela's sister-in-law Princess Marie (born Countess Kanolky) is hardly more visible or recognised then Princess Angela. Why? Because she leads a life away from the press too and like Angela she doesn't perform to many (if any) official duties either.

Hereditairy Princess Sophie (nee Dss in and Pss of Bavaria) is somewhat more 'visible' , as her husband already took over some tasks of the ever-grumpy Prince Hans-Adam.

There was a controversy about the marriage, that is true, just as there was a controversy when Max's sister Tatiana married the untitled German nobleman Philip von Lattorf. This has nothing to do with the colour of Angela's skin, but with the fact that she isn' t a noble or royal by birth.

Some members of the Princely family of Liechtenstein are more visible but that has mainly to do with them visiting certain society parties in Paris. Prince Phillip and Princess Isabelle (brother and sister-in-law) come to mind, as does Princess Barbara of Yougoslavia who was born as a Princess of Liechtenstein. Prince Nicolaus and Princess Margaretha naturally show up at many royal celebrations throughout Europe as she is the sister and daughter of a Grand Duke of Luxembourg. Princess Marie of France, also married to a Liechtenstein Prince also occassionally shows up here and there, though much less often.

Back
Top Bottom