Liechtenstein Princely Family (March 2003-October 2004) Part 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He is so cute. I always wondered what he looked like. I had never seen a picture until looking at the one above.

Originally posted by megknight@Apr 23rd, 2004 - 7:19 pm
When is Hereditary Prince Alois taking over? I heard August?
Why is he giving up the throne? He isn't even 60 yet and has only been monarch for, I think, 14 years.

I might be mistaken, but I think it is a case of "my work here is done". Now that he has won the power back to the monarchy, and achieved full UN membership, I think he has fufilled his goals and wants to move on.

I don't agree with it though...I feel like you are monarch for life. And you should leave only if you are exhausted from the job from either age, or sickness. Not because one "wants to"

This is from his speech at the 2003 National Day, after the vote to change the consitution.

"The missions in foreign and home affairs for which I have fought, are or closed or are about to be closed successfully. New missions must be solved, with which the hereditary prince has already been kept busy with intensively. With that for me slowly has come the time to withdraw from political life. Next to that we, in the princely house, are already long of opinion that the Fürst (Prince) hands over the political powers to his heir when this one is willing to take over.

So has my grandfather renounced in favour of my father, and has my father handed over political powers to me when I had largely closed the reorganisation and the reconstruction of the Princely Finances. The Hereditary Prince and I have decided that the delegation of political powers will take place in one year at the next Staatsfeiertag (national day)."

I really wish we knew a bit more about Angela and Maximillian.... who knows, there could be some fairytale-like story behind it (her meeting him in NYC but not knowing what he really is!!! :p ).

And I really like this pic a lot. They look so beautiful together!!: http://worldroots.com/brigitte/gifs6/maxliechtenstein.jpg.

But I'm glad Maximilian and Angela stay out of the spotlight as much as possible (or maybe because the princely family control the media? who knows) so as to allow them to live a "normal" life.

I remember Netty telling me that Max doesn't like the press and that Angela doesn't think that she is interesting enough to be photograph. And I think that they met in NY in 1992 or they started dating that year.

It's interesting that she should say that.The couple was voted pretty high on a popularity poll by a German tv station a few months ago, so it seems a few people disagree (myself included). :p

In general, the family shuns the spotlight, and perhaps to the envy of a few royal houses their privacy is greatly respected.

megknight  Posted: Jun 11th, 2004 - 1:28 pm

"my work here is done" .... he has fufilled his goals and wants to move on.
and maybe he doesn't like the hassle of ruling (peons) and putting up with non-equals. Supposedly he owns a lot of buildings in and he has a lot of wealth in Vienna which is a far more sophisticated town than a tiny provincial town that Vaduz is, and more rich/prominent people that he cares to associate with.

<<It's interesting that she should say that.The couple was voted pretty high on a popularity poll by a German tv station a few months ago, so it seems a few people disagree (myself included). >>

I do too! :) It seems like Angela is a very interesting and stylish lady! I would be great to see more of them...
Which German TV station was it? Are you from Germany?

Does Angela and Maximillian still live in Germany, or have they moved somewhere else?

As far as I know, Max works at the JP Morgan office in Munich.

Weren't they living in Hamburg at one time?
Munich is a great city to live in..What is his position at JP Morgan's?

I find it interesting that there will be no public ceremony. I also had the understanding that Hans-Adam would retain something of his old role, this article makes it sound like that isn't the case. Any insight?

This is the same thing I got as well. They say his reign has been controversal for the past 15 yrs. It's not a good idea to threaten your subjects if they don't vote to give you supreme power. I think that Alois will be the same way. According to the article Alois is just a headstrong as his father. I was going to post the article myself, then when I got her realized that you already have :) .

I just read this on another site, if someone could explain what this means specifically as far as roles, and powers - it would be appriciated!

"Hereditary Prince Alois is to take over as Regent. Prince Hans-Adam will *not* abdicate"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom