The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Other Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Liechtenstein

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-13-2008, 09:54 PM
Royal Highness

A few small photos from the opening of the new Parliament building in Liechtenstein back on Feb. 18.

Guest included Prince Hans-Adam, Princess Marie, and Hereditary Prince Alois.

Seite 20

Seite 21

source: Exclusiv magazine.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Kerry View Post
The Princely Family makes the news in the art world...again.

PRIVATE COLLECTION OF THE PRINCES OF LIECHTENSTEIN TO BE SOLD AT CHRISTIE'S AMSTERDAM APRIL 2008

PRIVATE COLLECTION OF THE PRINCES OF LIECHTENSTEIN TO BE SOLD AT CHRISTIE'S AMSTERDAM APRIL 2008

Why are they selling their art? And I am assuming that they are not selling all of it?

If I remember correctly, they are tremendously wealthy, so I can't imagine that they are in need of funds.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:05 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
I seriously doubt that its about funds. The article stated that the family has been collecting for over 400 years. Wow!!! I imagine that it's time to "clean house" and possibly collect other works. Besides, they have so much that they've never been able to properly use it all.

Hmmm. Imagine that!
Old 03-13-2008, 10:13 PM
Royal Highness

They have too much art. The family has been collecting art for over 400 years. As the article mentions some pieces just haven't been placed so they are selling them.
Perhaps they will use the funds to buy even more valuable pieces either for their own personal collection or to display at the Liechtenstein Museum in Vienna or the Kunstmseum in Vaduz.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:23 PM
Serene Highness

Here's a link to the actual artwork for anyone wealthy enough to bid :) :
LotFinder

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Old 03-14-2008, 08:34 PM
Royal Highness

Thanks for the link, BB. There are 462 items to be auctioned off with their estimated bid range. Most, if not all, might go higher than expected. Highly coveted items? I think worldwide, museums and private collectors are going to have a field day!
Old 03-15-2008, 08:42 PM
Royal Highness

Here's an article from last year that gives us a little more insight into the family's history with art. Hans Adam also speaks of the family's museums. Thought I would post the article here since we've been on the subject of art.

Why I have become a great collector

Europe's greatest museum buyer explains the strategy behind his acquisitions

LONDON. In June we revealed that Liechtenstein, Europe's smallest country, is now its biggest museum buyer. Although figures are not publicly available, we reported that the head of state, His Serene Highness Prince Hans-Adam II...

Why I have become a great collector - The Art Newspaper
Old 03-28-2008, 10:14 AM
Majesty

Oops,accidently had it posted in the "current event " thread.

Amsterdam,tuesday april 1st.

Liechtenstein - Christie's
Old 04-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Majesty

PPE Agency

Courtesy PPE/Nieboer.

At this moment,at 19.30PM local time the auction is still well underway and there are 130 lots left.It is such a huge success,untill now the turnover is estimated at 4,6 million euro,over 2 million more then expected of the total.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:48 PM
Royal Highness

Works of art from Liechtensteins collections on display in Prague

Prague- The most valuable works of art from the collection that Czech representatives bought at an auction the Liechtenstein Prince held in Amsterdam in early April will be on display in Prague's Nostic Palace on Saturday...

Full article here.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:09 AM
Royal Highness

This was news from Jan. 2007 which I posted here. But there is a pic that's new to me that I wanted to share. Photo by Bahrain News Agency.

Ruling Prince of Liechtenstein, His Serene Highness Hans-Adam II, visited the Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) and was received by Nasser Alshaali, Chief Executive Officer of the DIFC Authority.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Thanks for this Kerry. The picture shows four senior Liechtenstein princes attending this event - Philipp Erasmus, Hans Adam, Alois and Max; they must have their eyes on investment banking opportunities in booming Dubai.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Serene Highness

LOADS of scanned pics from Hans and Marie's wedding!

Royal Weddings Message Board: Wedding Liechtenstein 1967

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Old 06-01-2008, 08:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurberryBrit View Post
Yes, you're right. I didn't know the name. I know Princess Isabelle wore it to her wedding but has it been seen since.
If you are referring to Isabelle who married Philippe (I beleive in Belgium), she wore a tiny little tiara on the back of her head. It encircled a very elaborate hairdo which cascaded down her back. I remember the tiny size of the tiara worn.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamk View Post
If you are referring to Isabelle who married Philippe (I beleive in Belgium), she wore a tiny little tiara on the back of her head. It encircled a very elaborate hairdo which cascaded down her back. I remember the tiny size of the tiara worn.
Are you sure it's not the fringe tiara? (that Marie and Georgina wore)

Old 06-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurberryBrit View Post
Are you sure it's not the fringe tiara? (that Marie and Georgina wore)
It was in 1971 and I remember her elaborate hairdo. The top and sides of her hair were pulled back very tightly into a kind of ponytail - the rest of her hair was hanging down - very curly with (I am sure) extra fake hair added in. This tiny little crown-like tiara encircled the ponytail at the base. It was very far back on her head. The Tiara may have come from her family.
This was the era of the elaborate do's with lots of fake braids and pieces. Take a look at Chantal of France on her wedding day - verrrrrry elaborate.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamk View Post
It was in 1971 and I remember her elaborate hairdo. The top and sides of her hair were pulled back very tightly into a kind of ponytail - the rest of her hair was hanging down - very curly with (I am sure) extra fake hair added in. This tiny little crown-like tiara encircled the ponytail at the base. It was very far back on her head. The Tiara may have come from her family.
This was the era of the elaborate do's with lots of fake braids and pieces. Take a look at Chantal of France on her wedding day - verrrrrry elaborate.

I've seen a photo. I posted one in another thread. I will find it.

ETA: Princely Family current events 3: May 2007-

Yes, I believe it is the same tiara. I'm sure it is fully adjustable and she wore it far back.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Royal Highness

BB,
Here it is here. Isabella wore the fringe tiara also known as the Kochert Fringe Tiara. Haven't seen much of it since Princess Gina's time. She often wore it and can be seen in the thread of her and her late husband, Prince Franz Joseph II. Link here.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:28 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Prince Hans-Adam Angers The German Jewish Community; Sept. 2008

Prince Hans-Adam has been critisized by the german jewish community because in a letter to the Jewish museum in Berlin he spoke about the 'fourth reich', the letter was published later in the swiss newspaper 'Tages Anzeiger'.

In a letter to the Jewish museum Hans-Adam wrote that his principality has survived 3 german empires (reich) in the last 200 years. I hope we can add a fourth to that too, he added.

Eva Södermann, spokes person of the Jewish museum says that to call present germany a 'fourth reich' and to place it on equal setting with Hitler's Nazi Germany the atrocities of the third reich are marginalised.

In a reply Hans-Adam said it was never his intention to make a comparison to this part in German history, he just wanted to pay attention to the ex-propriation during the war.

The Jewish museum asked the prince if they were allowed to borrow a painting of Frans Hals for their exhibition, Hans-Adam refused as according to him Germany does not stick to international laws about borrowing of art.

Link in Dutch here.
Source: royalblog.nl
Old 09-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

An additional aspect here is that the Jewish musuem asked to borrow a painting for their exhibition of 'booty art' - artwork which used to belong to Jewish citizens before they were dispossessed by the Nazis.
In one sweep, Prince Hans Adam not only refused the loan, but managed to open himself to criticism to trivialize the Nazi 'Third Reich' by comparing it to current Germany, he achieved that everyone may now wonder how he came into possession of former Nazi 'booty art' in the first place, and he made himself appear upset at Germany because of the ongoing investigation into his dubious financial dealings... all at once, in one official letter.
It's reported all over the serious press, and IMO it was a most ill-advised and incomprehensibly stupid move.