The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Other Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Liechtenstein

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Courtier

BBC News - Liechtenstein referendum rejects curbs on royal powers

Interesting that the turnout was low, according to the article. I would have thought people would have wanted to have their say if the Prince is so important to their national culture and identity.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:17 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley View Post
BBC News - Liechtenstein referendum rejects curbs on royal powers

Interesting that the turnout was low, according to the article. I would have thought people would have wanted to have their say if the Prince is so important to their national culture and identity.
I saw where it said that the turnout for the abortion referrendum was low but didn't see where it stated the turnout for this referendum.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:12 AM
Commoner

Well, the turn out was actually not low - 82,9 percent. Klares Bekenntnis zu starkem Fürstenhaus - Liechtensteiner Vaterland
Old 07-02-2012, 05:30 AM
Commoner

Here a video of the Monarch (in German): Videonews - Liechtenstein He thanks the people for the overwhelming support, says while being optimistic he did not expect such a good result, and he calls now for national unity.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Liechtenstein Rejects Call To Remove Prince's Veto, 'Yes -- So That Your Vote Counts'

Voters in tiny Liechtenstein have soundly rejected a call to take away the ruling prince's power to veto referendum results. Government figures showed that 76.1 percent of voters, or 11,629 people, rejected the initiative titled "Yes – So that your vote counts" in a referendum Sunday. Turnout was 82.9 percent.

Hereditary Prince Alois threatened to use his veto in September to block a plan to legalize abortion, but a majority voted against the change. The royal family could have vetoed having its power of veto voted down. That would have made Alois the first prince to use his veto since his grandfather, Franz Joseph II, blocked a revision of the country's hunting laws three decades ago. Hans-Adam II, Alois' father, never exercised the right of veto.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Nobility

At least women have been able to vote there since 1984. So progressive.

I wonder if the family threw a temper tantrum over that too.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:48 PM
Serene Highness

A recent photo of princess Marie Caroline: Veckans snyggaste sessa | Åsas kungliga Europa
Old 09-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Aristocracy

Marie Caroline looks like Reese Witherspoon to me!
Old 09-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Serene Highness

Yes, Marie Caroline does look like Reese Witherspoon. but why is she holding a bottle of pop which has a "7" on it, maybe for 7-UP? (you can't see the whole bottle). Is this an advertisement. It's in German so I can't read it.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:43 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel1 View Post
Yes, Marie Caroline does look like Reese Witherspoon. but why is she holding a bottle of pop which has a "7" on it, maybe for 7-UP? (you can't see the whole bottle). Is this an advertisement. It's in German so I can't read it.
It's not German, it's Swedish. The headline says "This week's cutest princess" and the text: "There are no lack of good-looking free (unmarried) princesses among European Royalty. Here you see Marie Caroline of Lichtenstein, who is the grandchild of one of the richest men in the world, prince Hans-Adam". The bottle is 7-Up but it's not an ad, probably just a coincidence that she was holding the bottle when someone took a photo of her. (The magazine Svensk Damtidning thinks of itself as "the royal magazine of Sweden", but it's really more similar to Hello and other similar magazines.)
Old 10-02-2012, 02:16 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Prince Alois is in Japan for a five-day visit. Today, October 2nd, he was received by Crown Prince Naruhito at the Togu Palace residence in Tokyo.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
Old 10-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

During the last days in Japan Prince Alois has given a speech at the University of the Sacred Heart (1), met with Yoshihiko Noda, Prime Minister of Japan at the premiers official residence in Tokyo (2), was received by Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko (3) and attended the opening ceremony of the "Masterworks from the Collections of the Prince of Liechtenstein" at the National Art Center in Tokyo together with Crown Prince Naruhito (4&5).

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **
Old 12-17-2012, 05:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
Prince Josef Wenzel is the eldest son of the Hereditary Prince and Princess of Liechtenstein, and he is currently the second in the Line of Succession (after his father).

As for the school he's attending, I can't help you, but I think it's unlikely you will find this information, as it is a private detail concerning a 16 years old boy; I don't think it has been made public.
I've been wondering where he went to school and I am suprised that it is kept private as he is a royal and a future sovereign. I wonder if he goes to a school in Liechtenstien or a boarding school. Well, we will probably know when he graduates next year.

On another note, I think Joseph Wenzel is lucky that he is almost 18 and not an heir yet. It just seems that being an underaged heir is hard and overwhelming.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:14 AM
Super Moderator

On January 18 Prince Alois received Luxembourg's Prime Minister Jean-Claude Juncker at the castle of Vaduz and honoured him with the Grand Cross of Merit of Liechtenstein.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

** vaterland.li: Luxemburgs Premier Juncker erhält Orden ** translation **
Old 03-19-2013, 11:08 AM
Courtier

19-3-2013 VATICAN.

Prince Alois & Princess Sophie attend the Inauguration of Pope Francis. They are in te front row.

RTL.lu - News Fotoen

Tageblatt Online - Papst Franziskus ins Amt eingeführt - Nachrichten

Wort.lu - Großherzogliche Familie in Rom - hier sind die Bilder!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

On March 22 Prince Alois has received (among others) the new ambassadors of Thailand (Chalermpol Thanchitt), Monaco (Carole Lanteri) and of Japan (Ryuhei Maeda).

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **
Old 04-14-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
I've been wondering where he went to school and I am suprised that it is kept private as he is a royal and a future sovereign. I wonder if he goes to a school in Liechtenstien or a boarding school. Well, we will probably know when he graduates next year.

On another note, I think Joseph Wenzel is lucky that he is almost 18 and not an heir yet. It just seems that being an underaged heir is hard and overwhelming.
He went to primary school in Liechtenstein, then to a private international secondary school across the boarder and he is now attending a boarding school abroad. I won't tell you which one and where to keep his privacy.

It was a tradition that the members of the principal family attend secondary schools in Liechtenstein. I personally think it is a bad sign towards the people that Wenzel is going to school abroad. Alois and his family behave much more superior than Hans Adams family did...
Old 04-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Well it cannot really be that long a tradition since Franz Joseph II was the first Prince to actually live in the principality and I would guess his children were educated in Austria or Switzerland.
Hans Adam never struck me as being especially interested in his principality since he handed over the regency pretty early on.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Well it cannot really be that long a tradition since Franz Joseph II was the first Prince to actually live in the principality and I would guess his children were educated in Austria or Switzerland.
Hans Adam never struck me as being especially interested in his principality since he handed over the regency pretty early on.
No, Franz Joseph II always wanted his children to grow up normal, he wanted to live with the people as normal as possible. He and Gina would go shopping in a local shop on a daily basis and speak to the people on the street. They sent their children to local schools, but in those days, schools in Liechtenstein were not very well and for a continuing education, he sent them abroad later.

However, Hans-Adam sent all his children to Liechtenstein schools until they finished Grammar school. In those days, there was no university in Liechtenstein, so they had to go abroad to study. But they stayed in Liechtenstein until their early 20s. Alois actually was in class with Klaus Tschütscher, the former prime minister. I went to school with Princess Diana, she was not in my class tough.

This is the first time since a prince lived here that a prince goes to secondary school abroad.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:42 PM
Nobility

Who is Princess Diana?