Royalty of Brunei: News & Photos 2: February-April 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mandy said:
In this thread, you may post news, articles, pictures and comments on the Royalty of Brunei. Have fun!
Here is a link to the old thread Royalty of Brunei: News & Photos 2

Hi Mandy

Thanks for starting a new thread. I reckon you cannot use the quote function from previous thread should any replies be made and referencing is required? Tried doing that but can't

Zina posted from previous thread :
<<<<I'm not sure I should be replying in the "Malaysian royalty" thread, but it seems like I can answer some of these questions.

I think the crown prince was not really serious with his ex girlfriend. From what I understand, she was living in the UK and they only saw each other occasionally, such as during the Eid celebration. Even then, they were not given permission to see each other, from His Majesty, so they weren't a "serious" couple, as such.

The real reason why she was not allowed to marry him, is not because she is plain, but because of her previous relationships. Apparently the Sultan had discovered of her romances with the Crown Prince's relatives - cousins, brother-in-law and uncles. The Crown Prince's family did not approve of this, or her partying lifestyle. I think after the Sultan's own divorce from his 2nd wife (also a party girl), he thought that his son should not go through the same mistake.

Fortunately, the Crown Prince met Sarah and seemed to like her very much. I heard that, after he decided to marry Sarah, he was not at all upset to say goodbye to his ex girlfriend. Unfortunately, the story goes, that the ex girlfriend was not told of the forthcoming marriage, and only heard about it through the official media announcement. From what I have heard, she expected her name to be announced! If this story is true, then the Crown Prince must not have had any contact with the ex girlfriend for a long time, or else, he kept it a secret from her.

I think the Crown Prince just wanted a pretty, mixed race girl to marry. Any one would do. Personally, I don't think he is the type to have ever experienced true love. He found a younger, prettier model and discarded the old GF without even telling >>>>

Zina,

That's quite some information about the ongoings of the royal engagements and relations you ve posted in previous thread.

Have got this really immense curiousity about this "fetish" that CP has about marrying women of "mixed parentage". It was reported in the media widely and also as affirmed by you in the thread above that CP was specifically looking to marry someone of a mixed background I presume with "caucasion" lineage. How so ? I was conjecturing if this is probably due to his years of study back in oxford? his stepmother's influence?
Which brings to my question what is CP really like as a person?

From the sound of it, he seems very much like a son strongly devoted to the family especially the sultan, listens to everything they say and plans for him? . Really quite different from the Windsor's family , this Brunei Royalty. Let's hope we not see a repeat of Camila - Diana - Charles melodrama here.

Zina, Btw the curahan kasih cover of the couple is really beautiful. Many thanks for sharing, it wouldn't otherwise have been made public anywhere else , media notwithstanding.

Any more news of the cute Sarah and ongoings?

Minnie said:
Zina posted from previous thread :
<<<<I'm not sure I should be replying in the "Malaysian royalty" thread, but it seems like I can answer some of these questions.

I think the crown prince was not really serious with his ex girlfriend. From what I understand, she was living in the UK and they only saw each other occasionally, such as during the Eid celebration. Even then, they were not given permission to see each other, from His Majesty, so they weren't a "serious" couple, as such.

The real reason why she was not allowed to marry him, is not because she is plain, but because of her previous relationships. Apparently the Sultan had discovered of her romances with the Crown Prince's relatives - cousins, brother-in-law and uncles. The Crown Prince's family did not approve of this, or her partying lifestyle. I think after the Sultan's own divorce from his 2nd wife (also a party girl), he thought that his son should not go through the same mistake.

Fortunately, the Crown Prince met Sarah and seemed to like her very much. I heard that, after he decided to marry Sarah, he was not at all upset to say goodbye to his ex girlfriend. Unfortunately, the story goes, that the ex girlfriend was not told of the forthcoming marriage, and only heard about it through the official media announcement. From what I have heard, she expected her name to be announced! If this story is true, then the Crown Prince must not have had any contact with the ex girlfriend for a long time, or else, he kept it a secret from her.

I think the Crown Prince just wanted a pretty, mixed race girl to marry. Any one would do. Personally, I don't think he is the type to have ever experienced true love. He found a younger, prettier model and discarded the old GF without even telling >>>>

Zina,

That's quite some information about the ongoings of the royal engagements and relations you ve posted in previous thread.

Have got this really immense curiousity about this "fetish" that CP has about marrying women of "mixed parentage". It was reported in the media widely and also as affirmed by you in the thread above that CP was specifically looking to marry someone of a mixed background I presume with "caucasion" lineage. How so ? I was conjecturing if this is probably due to his years of study back in oxford? his stepmother's influence?
Which brings to my question what is CP really like as a person?

From the sound of it, he seems very much like a son strongly devoted to the family especially the sultan, listens to everything they say and plans for him? . Really quite different from the Windsor's family , this Brunei Royalty. Let's hope we not see a repeat of Camila - Diana - Charles melodrama here.

Zina, Btw the curahan kasih cover of the couple is really beautiful. Many thanks for sharing, it wouldn't otherwise have been made public anywhere else , media notwithstanding.

Any more news of the cute Sarah and ongoings?

Also was wondering what really attracts CP to Sarah? Was it just looks? If there really was an arrangement for Cp to pick from a room of bachelorettes , did Sarah stand out just purely from looks alone?

Minnie said:
Hi Mandy

Thanks for starting a new thread. I reckon you cannot use the quote function from previous thread should any replies be made and referencing is required? Tried doing that but can't

You're welcome Minnie. No, you can't use the quote function once the thread has been closed. Sorry!

Pictures of Queen Saleha, February 14, 2005

Attachments

• BAHAR_002.sized.jpg
    BAHAR_002.sized.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 763
  • BAHAR_001.sized.jpg
    BAHAR_001.sized.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 3,817
  • RAFEE_003.sized.jpg
    RAFEE_003.sized.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 670
  • RAFEE_001.sized.jpg
    RAFEE_001.sized.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 1,483
  • RAFEE_002.sized.jpg
    RAFEE_002.sized.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 736
What is CP really like?

Minnie said:
Also was wondering what really attracts CP to Sarah? Was it just looks? If there really was an arrangement for Cp to pick from a room of bachelorettes , did Sarah stand out just purely from looks alone?

From all accounts, CP is very simple minded, with a very short attention span. I don't mean to cause offence, but it's well known. He also has been known to display a hot temper when it come to palace staff. What would you expect from a prince who is given everything he wants, since childhood?

However, he is also friendly, polite and speaks well, on topics he's interested in. He was interviewed on camera once, by an English journalist, and he appeared fluent, bright and well-spoken.

He gets what he wants. He specifically wanted a pretty, mixed girl, of Euro-Asian heritage - and he got one. Apparently he didn't mind that he wasn't allowed to marry his ex girlfriend. Because he found another girl, similar to her, who was also of mixed parentage. So it seems reasonable to assume that it was Sarah's looks that initially attracted him to Sarah, rather than anything deeper.

As for CP Billah wanting a mixed blooded girl..let's say that they are seen here in Asia as very unique . Most Asians view mixed blooded people as something exotic and desirable. Ladies lighten their skin and dye their hair to look more "european". And the most popular celebrities in this region are those who are of mixed parentage. The CP perhaps likes the mixed look as much as anybody else.

Last edited:
Crown Prince Billah - 31 today

17th Feb is CP Billah's 31st B'day..in case anyone's interested :)

Zina said:

I didnt know that. Will there be an official celebration? I know the Sultan's b'day celebrations are huge.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
I didnt know that. Will there be an official celebration? I know the Sultan's b'day celebrations are huge.

There aren't any celebrations for the Crown Prince's Birthday, only prayers were performed, the night before. When he is Sultan, then there will be.

Also, It must be about 1 year since Sarah first caught his attention at his Birthday "Roomful of Virgins" Party at the Palace, last year. Still no signs that she is pregnant - her stomach shows no sign of any bump..I think it's all rumours.

Zina said:
Zina

No need to say "in case anyone's interested"

The fact we are looking at this site means we are interested.

So thanks for pointing out that the Crown Prince has just turned 31.

Warren

Zina said:
There aren't any celebrations for the Crown Prince's Birthday, only prayers were performed, the night before. When he is Sultan, then there will be.

Also, It must be about 1 year since Sarah first caught his attention at his Birthday "Roomful of Virgins" Party at the Palace, last year. Still no signs that she is pregnant - her stomach shows no sign of any bump..I think it's all rumours.

Well my personal opinion would be that CP Sarah is too young to have a baby. I think she should finish her education first. But that's just me. Maybe she can have a baby and go on studying like many young women do. Besides, Im sure she'd have lots of people to look after the baby when she herself is not available.
Has she finished high school yet? If so, do you know or are there any rumours that she might go to university? I think it would be the logical thing to do since the sultan's daughters have gone to or are going to colleges/universities.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
Well my personal opinion would be that CP Sarah is too young to have a baby. I think she should finish her education first. But that's just me. Maybe she can have a baby and go on studying like many young women do. Besides, Im sure she'd have lots of people to look after the baby when she herself is not available.
Has she finished high school yet? If so, do you know or are there any rumours that she might go to university? I think it would be the logical thing to do since the sultan's daughters have gone to or are going to colleges/universities.

I think Sarah will be pressured to produce an heir sooner, rather than later. Although she may be young, her husband is 31. She was, after all, forced to marry him at the tender age of 17, only because he was 30 and it was time for him to marry.

As for university, Sarah did take her Form 6 exams last year, so I assume she will continue her education. But the other princesses who have gone on to University and College are not married...and Sarah is..so we will wait and see.

Older Photos of Brunei Royals

These are the last of the photos I will upload from Curahan Kasih.

See if you can recognise who's who. The Sultan's sisters - Princess Masna and Princess Umi Kalsum Al Islam... and Prince Mohammad's wife, (Prince Qawi's mother ) with who I think is her eldest daughter are in one photo with Prince Qawi and CP Billah. They are all young and not wearing the head covering.

In the other family photos, you can see what Princess Rashidah, Princess Mutawakillah Bolkiah and Princess Majeedah looked like in the old days. They have changed drastically now, when you compare the old hairstyles and dresses.

Attachments

• RoyalFamily.jpg
    RoyalFamily.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 9,213
  • RoyalFamily2.jpg
    RoyalFamily2.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 2,748
  • RoyalFamily3.jpg
    RoyalFamily3.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 11,463
  • RoyalFamily4.jpg
    RoyalFamily4.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,993
  • LittleBillah.jpg
    LittleBillah.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 945
  • Qawi&Billah.jpg
    Qawi&Billah.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 3,846
Last edited:
Such rare pictures! Thank you Zina.
The CP was a pretty cute kid.
I have a question. Who is the young woman standing next to Princess Masna in this pic? I have seen her pictures often at various events involving the royal family. Is she one of the Sultan's sisters?

Attachments

• RoyalFamily3.jpg
    RoyalFamily3.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 5,373
Last edited:
18 FEB 2005 -His Royal Highness Prince Haji Al-Muhtadee Billah, the Crown Prince, the Deputy Sultan and Her Royal Highness Paduka Seri Pengiran Anak Isteri Pengiran Anak Sarah last night consented to attend the DPMM FC Annual Dinner and Award Night.

Upon arrival at the Empire Theatre of the Empire Hotel and Country Club, Jerudong, Their Royal Highnesses were welcomed by the Vice Chairman of the DPMM FC, Yang engiran Maharaja Setia Laila Diraja Sahibul Irshad Pengiran Anak Haji Abdul Rahim as well as other Club's members. Also present was His Royal Highness Prince Abdul Malik.

The climax of the function was the presentation of four DPMM FC's Annual Awards which His Royal Highness consented to present in recognition to the players' contributions and outstanding performances. Oluseye Ajai was picked the best for the 'Golden Boot 2004' Award, while Rosmin bin Haji Kamis was selected as the 'Best Player 2004' awardee. The 'Best Young Player 2004' Award went to Mohamad Shahrin bin Zaini, and the last Award- the 'Most Consistent Player 2004' was grabbed by Awangku Shahrudin bin Pengiran Haji Tajudin.

His Royal Highness Prince Haji Al-Muhtadee Billah also consented to present the DPMM FC's donation of three thousand dollars to the Tsunami Disaster Relief Fund to the Minister of Culture,Youth and Sports, Pehin Orang Kaya Digadong Seri Lela Dato Seri Paduka Doctor Haji Awang Hussein who's also the Fund's Co-Advisor. His Royal Highness later consented to receive donations from various companies totalling 27 thousand dollars which were then handed over to the Minister of Culture, Youth and Sports.

Attachments

• HARUN_02.sized.jpg
    HARUN_02.sized.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 1,679
  • HARUN_18.sized.jpg
    HARUN_18.sized.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 909
  • HARUN_17.sized.jpg
    HARUN_17.sized.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1,147
  • HARUN_16.sized.jpg
    HARUN_16.sized.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 10,836
  • HARUN_15.sized.jpg
    HARUN_15.sized.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 665
  • HARUN_07.sized.jpg
    HARUN_07.sized.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 825
  • HARUN_06.sized.jpg
    HARUN_06.sized.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 574
  • HARUN_05.sized.jpg
    HARUN_05.sized.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 724
  • HARUN_04.sized.jpg
    HARUN_04.sized.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 903
  • HARUN_01.sized.jpg
    HARUN_01.sized.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 974
~*~Humera~*~ said:
Such rare pictures! Thank you Zina.
The CP was a pretty cute kid.
I have a question. Who is the young woman standing next to Princess Masna in this pic? I have seen her pictures often at various events involving the royal family. Is she one of the Sultan's sisters?

That is Princess Umi Kalsum Al-Islam - One of the Sultan's sisters.

Zina said:
These are the last of the photos I will upload from Curahan Kasih.

See if you can recognise who's who. The Sultan's sisters - Princess Masna and Princess Umi Kalsum Al Islam... and Prince Mohammad's wife, (Prince Qawi's mother ) with who I think is her eldest daughter are in one photo with Prince Qawi and CP Billah. They are all young and not wearing the head covering.

In the other family photos, you can see what Princess Rashidah, Princess Mutawakillah Bolkiah and Princess Majeedah looked like in the old days. They have changed drastically now, when you compare the old hairstyles and dresses.

Aw...Toddler Cp looks really adorable esp the one with the bugsy teeth!Cute :p

~*~Humera~*~ said:
18 FEB 2005 -His Royal Highness Prince Haji Al-Muhtadee Billah, the Crown Prince, the Deputy Sultan and Her Royal Highness Paduka Seri Pengiran Anak Isteri Pengiran Anak Sarah last night consented to attend the DPMM FC Annual Dinner and Award Night.

Upon arrival at the Empire Theatre of the Empire Hotel and Country Club, Jerudong, Their Royal Highnesses were welcomed by the Vice Chairman of the DPMM FC, Yang engiran Maharaja Setia Laila Diraja Sahibul Irshad Pengiran Anak Haji Abdul Rahim as well as other Club's members. Also present was His Royal Highness Prince Abdul Malik.

The climax of the function was the presentation of four DPMM FC's Annual Awards which His Royal Highness consented to present in recognition to the players' contributions and outstanding performances. Oluseye Ajai was picked the best for the 'Golden Boot 2004' Award, while Rosmin bin Haji Kamis was selected as the 'Best Player 2004' awardee. The 'Best Young Player 2004' Award went to Mohamad Shahrin bin Zaini, and the last Award- the 'Most Consistent Player 2004' was grabbed by Awangku Shahrudin bin Pengiran Haji Tajudin.

His Royal Highness Prince Haji Al-Muhtadee Billah also consented to present the DPMM FC's donation of three thousand dollars to the Tsunami Disaster Relief Fund to the Minister of Culture,Youth and Sports, Pehin Orang Kaya Digadong Seri Lela Dato Seri Paduka Doctor Haji Awang Hussein who's also the Fund's Co-Advisor. His Royal Highness later consented to receive donations from various companies totalling 27 thousand dollars which were then handed over to the Minister of Culture, Youth and Sports.

Hey I like Sarah's new curly looks! Absolutely pretty exuding regal feminine charm. Lucky man cp :rolleyes:

Zina said:
I think Sarah will be pressured to produce an heir sooner, rather than later. Although she may be young, her husband is 31. She was, after all, forced to marry him at the tender age of 17, only because he was 30 and it was time for him to marry.

As for university, Sarah did take her Form 6 exams last year, so I assume she will continue her education. But the other princesses who have gone on to University and College are not married...and Sarah is..so we will wait and see.

Zina, you are right . Guess it's difficult to turn down a royal proposal which doesn't come by so often. I mean at 17, Sarah's is really young to decide on marriage and what entails in a marriage, so I presumed she must have listened and obtained considerable amounts of advice from the adults as to what to do. Hope they are right.

So the virgin party was meant to find the prince a wife and i suppose the candidates must have attended with some mental preparation. How young were the candidates?

Wonder if anyone has rejected or "dare" to turn down requests from prince and suffer the consequences?

Minnie said:
Zina, you are right . Guess it's difficult to turn down a royal proposal which doesn't come by so often. I mean at 17, Sarah's is really young to decide on marriage and what entails in a marriage, so I presumed she must have listened and obtained considerable amounts of advice from the adults as to what to do. Hope they are right.

So the virgin party was meant to find the prince a wife and i suppose the candidates must have attended with some mental preparation. How young were the candidates?

Wonder if anyone has rejected or "dare" to turn down requests from prince and suffer the consequences?

Not many details are known about that party, except that the girls invited were supposedly virgins, so they must have been young, around Sarah's age, perhaps no older than in their early 20's. I'm just speculating.

As far as I know, the CP never asked anybody else to marry him, so he could not have been turned down by anyone. Although, his own cousin (i don't know which one) did refuse to marry him, so this is the reason that he was forced to marry outside the family.

Some new pictures
Feb 25, 2005

Attachments

• HARUN_03 copy.jpg
    HARUN_03 copy.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 465
  • HARUN_04 copy.jpg
    HARUN_04 copy.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 491
Crown Prince and Princess, same day

Attachments

• HAMADI_01.sized.jpg
    HAMADI_01.sized.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,229
  • HAMADI_02.sized.jpg
    HAMADI_02.sized.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 374
  • HAMADI_03.sized.jpg
    HAMADI_03.sized.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 297
  • HAMADI_04.sized.jpg
    HAMADI_04.sized.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 297
  • HAMADI_06.sized.jpg
    HAMADI_06.sized.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 270
  • HAMADI_16.sized.jpg
    HAMADI_16.sized.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 371
  • HAMADI_14.sized.jpg
    HAMADI_14.sized.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 267
  • HAMADI_12.sized.jpg
    HAMADI_12.sized.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 269
  • HAMADI_09.sized.jpg
    HAMADI_09.sized.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 256
  • HAMADI_07.sized.jpg
    HAMADI_07.sized.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 266
and some more

Attachments

• HAMADI_20.sized.jpg
    HAMADI_20.sized.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 237
  • HARUN_04.sized.jpg
    HARUN_04.sized.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 234
  • HARUN_06.sized.jpg
    HARUN_06.sized.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 268
  • HARUN_06_001.sized.jpg
    HARUN_06_001.sized.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 225
  • HARUN_07.sized.jpg
    HARUN_07.sized.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 308
  • HARUN_09.sized.jpg
    HARUN_09.sized.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 252
  • HARUN_10.sized.jpg
    HARUN_10.sized.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 302
  • HARUN_11.sized.jpg
    HARUN_11.sized.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 252
  • HARUN_14.sized.jpg
    HARUN_14.sized.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 246
  • HARUN_17.sized.jpg
    HARUN_17.sized.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 456
Her headscarf clashes badly with her outfit...somebody get her a fashion adviser!

HRH Sarah has truly grown. From a shy and coy looking young lady to a more poised and confident figure while engaging the women foreign diplomats from the pictures above. A role model indeed.

Zina said:
Her headscarf clashes badly with her outfit...somebody get her a fashion adviser!

Well ok apart from the slightly off key colour match that needs fixing , but I must say Sarah's never fail to look good in most outfit especially the sensual colour red . She's simply radiating ! :p

Zina said:

you know i've noticed that the women of the royal family dont wear headscarves that match their outfits exactly. Most of the time it works and looks better than dressing in the same print from head to toe. But ofcourse there are exceptions.
Speaking of clothing, do you know if the royal family has a special designer that makes outfits for them? The cloth/prints used for their outfits, are they exclusively made for them or can anyone in Brunei buy them?

Last edited:
I notice that sometimes p. sarah covers her hair and sometimes she doesn't even in Brunei. Does someone have an explanation for that. Thanks.

abir said:
I notice that sometimes p. sarah covers her hair and sometimes she doesn't even in Brunei. Does someone have an explanation for that. Thanks.

There are women in the royal family who dont cover at all. The Queen didnt use to cover a couple of years ago either. I think its pretty obvious that the hijab isnt an obligatory requirement for the women of the Brunei royal family, just like it isnt for Muslim women in general. Its actually a good thing that Princess Sarah doesnt feel pressured to dress a certain way and covers her hair while carrying out most official duties in Brunei and doesnt cover at less formal events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom